Subaru WRX Forums banner

running in process for the new WRX

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  coopwrx 
#1 ·
never own a subaru or a car with turbo before.
any tips to running in the new WRX? ???

thanks

#3 ·
the manual you'll recieve actually gives you a few guide lines..

Namely the most impt points are

keep below 4000RPM
Don't race the engine
Don't Drive aggressively (not phrased this way)

Basically, you'll be experiencing what i'm experiencing now. Allowing Vans to overtake me off the traffic lights hahaha

#6 ·
how far do i have to run it in for? 1500km? 1000 mile?

#9 ·
I believe the manual also states that you should vary your speed. Therefore, do not use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles. I was surprised that there was a "break-in" period because I thought most new car motors were broken-in before they hit the lot, but I was not thinking about the turbo break-in as mentioned above.

I actually just passed the 1K mark a week ago, so I'm finally seeing what this car really has. The brakes actually bite much harder now then when I walked off the lot. I did during that break in period climb close to redline a handfull of times, but hopefully that won't hurt me down the road. Of course this wasn't sustained redlining, just a quick rev and shifted out.

#10 ·
have you takin it to your dealer for an oil change? mine told me to come at 1000 for a free oil change...? im close 800+ so i was just wondering

#12 ·
It is very painful not being able to really get moving in this car. It really begs to be pushed. To bad I have to keep it under 4k until I reach 1000 MILES..... AWWW

#15 ·
I hit 1000 miles today.... And finally got to get on the throttle.... And DAMN!!! This baby hauls a**..... It tis wonderful.

#18 ·
bah... Its not like hitting 5k will make it blow up. In fact there is a strong school of thought that you should run new engines hard such that it maximizes the pressure in the cylinder, therefore more effectively seating the rings. Motor Trend investigated and said it was "marginal at best" in producing more power from the engine over its life.

#20 ·
Well, I don't really think that the break in is for the engine, more so for the Turbo, as they need to be properly broken and they do spin a lot faster then the engine RPM. I would caution do something other then the manual states.

I would agree that most cars come off the showroom floor not needing to be broken in, but it is much different with a turbo.

If you were to replace the turbo with a bigger, better one then you would have to do the same, keep RPMs below 4k for 1000 miles. It is so the turbo has proper break in.

#22 ·
I am looking at the Perrin Full Recirc. I would recommend a recirculating BOV, they keep the Air Fuel Ratio in the proper. The vent to air can cause a vacuum and stall if not destroy the turbo. I like the Perrin ones cause they make them to be super strong, 190 PSI, which no motor will be able to push.... The max PSI that the Subie can handle is 21-22 PSI, if higher then that then you will lift the heads, then you have some other problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.