Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new here, from Columbus, Ohio (Clintonville/OSU Campus). I'm also on NASIOC and CentralOhioSubarus.com. I'm 23 years old, I fix computers and do networking for a local college.

I have a 2008 impreza WRX hatch. RA-R sport grille (DIY), momo shifter, homelink mirror, AS floor/trunk mats, HID 5000k projectors... and a K&N filter.

future plans are tint, 2500k yellow projector fogs, maybe some hella horns for looks, a nicer exhaust and a '08 STi spoiler (but no STi badges, I'm not one of those guys) -- also waiting on rallyarmor to send me some mud flaps. considered messing with my intake to get rid of the restrictive resonator, but am going to wait until it's warm out now that I can tell it is nothing like the 2007 and I can't just install the elbow.

I race in the local SCCA (ohio valley region) for both rallycross and autocross (# 21)

here are some older pictures, I'll post ones that I just took in a minute...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

homelink compass mirror

momo shifter, all season floor mats

tiny interwarmer, tiny plastic diversion valve

I don't like the chrome and I don't like the teeny spoiler, also upset they didn't include the rear diffuser on mine ($800 extra for the body kit)

LOTS of trunk space. trunk cargo cover blind thing, all season trunk mat

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Glad to see you join... me too im so gonna order a STI wing when i will find where to get it for not so much
Do you wish you had a GTI ? :p

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see you join... me too im so gonna order a STI wing when i will find where to get it for not so much
no, I wish it was a Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec C Type RA-R

that and I think it looks cool, makes the grille not as boring but still not ugly like the stock grille.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Welcome. Do you have video of the donut in the snow? My wife thinks that it was drawn in the snow around the car.... What other mods do you have planned?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have the video but AWD donuts look like that -- you should try one... be careful to not do it on not-so-slick snow (make sure it's deep) or you'll ruin your wheel bearings really fast. oh, also, turn off the traction control. I believe the STi has 3 modes: on, off, and extremely-off (push and hold, or push twice, I forget - the button is below the fog light switch near your left knee)... I only have a WRX so I just turn mine "off"

you can see the snow buildup in the rims... also, tell her to watch this:

with how the AWD handles, you could write someone's name out in the snow... what I did was circles around a central point as if my WRX was on the seconds hand on a clock

down the road I'd like to start off with thicker sway bars, strut bars, bushings, and then maybe some power mods (I'd like more boost and a better exhaust system)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
no, I wish it was a Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec C Type RA-R

that and I think it looks cool, makes the grille not as boring but still not ugly like the stock grille.
hehe i didnt know this one :) anyway i was just kidding !

·
Registered
182 Posts
An HID conversion is something I'm interested in doing. Does anyone know if the HID capsules from the 3G STI fit into the non-STI WRX? If so, that would seem to be the cleanest way to do it, especially for high/low beam switching.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just do what I did and get an HID conversion kit from ebay...

there is this guy who sells the german Bosch (higher quality than chinese) ones cheap

http://stores.ebay.com/HID-Outdoor-Equipments

keep in mind 5000k and 6000k are "OEM" temperatures (white and blue)

anything above that and you'll get dark blue and dark purple light that fatigues your eyes and doesn't illuminate the road properly

for fogs I'm going to buy a 2500k (yellow like lexus) H3 55w fog bulb conversion kit

·
Registered
498 Posts
Good to see another member from the Midwest(I'm from Indy). I'll be over there on the 8th and 9th working an Ohio St. b'ball game, so if you see a Red WRX form IN that weekend, it is probably me. Watch out not to take your streeering wheel to lock if you are doing dognuts. It is relatively easy to blow out the pump.(ask my son) I have to ask, what is the outline thing on your sports grill? Before you take off the intake silencer and hav a long afternoon with nothing to do, you might want to read this. They have pretty much the same setup as us. Many mixed results...

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1955&highlight=Intake+delete

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah donuts can mess up bearings and the PS pump, I'm careful.

the red line is just for looks, like racing stripes except not as weird, read the posts above - the wrx spec-c type ra-r had one and it was a full production car.

the only other cars with this body style I've seen in town were plain Imprezas or Outback Sports

(I still think it's weird that the Outback has this SMALL body style this year, they usually make it based on a Legacy -- but maybe they're trying to not cannibalize the Forester market)

thanks for the link! I've been wondering how it's setup but I didn't want to just start taking everything apart... I'm always like that with a new car. eventually I could take it apart blind folded.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Taking it apart isn't hard. I did the delete in my 02' but I replaced it with a GP Moto "U" so the airflow remained coming from the front. If you read through the thread I would say it is about 50/50 on whether it does anything but increase the sound. I think if I could find a "U" type device for our cars I might do it.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the "u" thing isn't necessary in our design as the intake and resonator are actually separate paths after the main air box... you'd really only have to plug up the hole left by removing the resonator, though this would decrease your flow to that tiny hole that leads to the piece above the grille... however that's how it is anyway (the resonator isn't intaking any air, just sound waves - so you're back where you started, just more noise)

I'd say it's 50/50 because some people get the placebo effect, some people like the noise, and some people hate the noise.

other cars where the resonator is in-line (like my old hyundai) benefit more from this mod than the subaru design where the resonator is just kind of hanging out next door.

the most you could gain from this mod is MAYBE 5 HP which isn't even noticeable and is within the margin of error for a dynometer -- not to mention a dyno isn't a good way to test intake mods since a lot of the intake depends on air velocity caused by higher speeds... even if you're forcing air against the engine with big fans, that could only simulate 30-40 mph... unless you go into a wind tunnel.

so really the only rational reasoning behind doing this is for the "woosh" and low-tones of the turbo and intake. if you really want better performance, the only way to go is a cold air intake with all different tubing and a big cone filter.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked into it and found out:

the STi comes in black obsidian pearl

the STi spoiler comes in that color and will fit the plain WRX

the STi spoiler costs $300

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
that not bad !
where do you find it ?

·
Registered
498 Posts
If it was designed to produce a modest airflow over the rear window to help keep it clean, I would seriously be into buying one. but I can't spend $450 after painting just for the looks.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they come pre-painted and are available in the same colors as the WRX plus aspen white and the dark grey that the STi comes in - no need to paint

they are $300 from the dealer

I want to get one just because they look 10x better and give the jellybean shape more character

1 - 20 of 31 Posts