t's 1/4 inch stainless steel. Got it from a guy that races Nascar. It pretty much looks like a small 'hardware cloth' type wire, except stainless steel. I cut it on a 45 degree bias to get the look right.
The scoop is 'sandwiched' between the plastic and metal parts the connect the scoop to the hood using the same fastners. The grill is held in place with two 'zip strips' that pull the mesh up to the center divider in the lower grill. The grill portion is formed in a sort of "U" where there's a portion that goes above and below the opening. That 'U' structure gives it some structure so the zip ties can pull it forward and keep it in place.
As for painted black, with it being stainless steel, I didn't feel the pait would 'stick' well and I'd end up with paint chipping off from road rash.
I've got all the supplies, just waiting for the weather to break that magical 50 deg. F barrier to paint outdoors.
Scuby, could you post some more images & details about how you sized and put the meshes in there? Maybe a picture of the underside of the hood, what bolts you removed and used to hold the mesh in there.
Did you put the front of your car up on ramps and insert the lower mesh from under? Did you have to remove the whole front bumper?
I took the easy way out on both openings. On the scoop, I only removed the front row of "plastic fasteners" that attach the plastic hood scoop to the hood. I then inserted the mesh between the scoop and hood and used the same fasteners to hold it in place. The top of the mess simply fits into the gap between the plastic and metal at the top of the scoop.
On the lower section, I carefully inserted the mesh into the opening and positioned it in place and secured with two plastic wire ties (you should be able to see those if you zoom in on the pic). I'd take additional pictures, but I don't think they will really help with understanding the process. I wish I'd taken some pictures with the mesh parts not installed, that would probably help the most. Too late now (I'm NOT taking them back out!).
In hind site, it would have been simpler to have completely removed the hood scoop from the hood (it would probably allow for a better fit on the top section) and completely removing the bumper to facilitate the lower section, BUT I managed it without doing those extra steps.