Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across Sea Foam motor treatment online and have been doing a lot of research on it and might consider trying it. Does anyone have any experience using this stuff in our cars? Just looking for some feed back and some advice. My 08 wrx is just about to hit 50k and i recently just switched back to pump gas from E85 so figured Id give it a try before I change my oil in a couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Doing it to 2000 Prelude this weekend, might do it to the TSX. Not enough miles on mine, 50K, for me to justify it. We'll see after the other two.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
i recently just bought a bottle for the gas tank. i put half in my wrx and half in my wifes 2011 forester. i dont know if it made any difference or not. im not keen on doing the intake seafoam clean. it seems like a mess and can make the car run worse after. jmo.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably gonna give it a try in a thousand miles or so before i change my oil...1/3 bottle vacuum line...and 1/3 bottle in the gas tank and 1/3 in the oil...i have read and watched several mixed reviews some people claiming no results while others claim the car runs a lot better after

·
Registered
972 Posts
I didit at 45k miles but dont seem any change. It does work though on older cars and no, the car will not run worse.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm at 92k now, time to give this stuff a go.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Probably gonna give it a try in a thousand miles or so before i change my oil...1/3 bottle vacuum line...and 1/3 bottle in the gas tank and 1/3 in the oil...i have read and watched several mixed reviews some people claiming no results while others claim the car runs a lot better after
Exactly what I plan to do with the Prelude. It's definitely for higher mileage cars, but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I just wish I knew a little bit more about my car on how to do it properly.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nvm I thought it be a bit more complex, sip with the vaccum hose from the BPV 1/2 a can, then pour the other half into my gas tank. Probably not gonna pour it into the crank, dont want to mess with oil + foreign liquids in a turbo car.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Nvm I thought it be a bit more complex, sip with the vaccum hose from the BPV 1/2 a can, then pour the other half into my gas tank. Probably not gonna pour it into the crank, dont want to mess with oil + foreign liquids in a turbo car.
I mean Seafoam is 100% petroleum based, so no problem in the oil. Just do it ~100 miles prior to an oil change.

·
Registered
512 Posts
1/2 into gas tank, 1/2 into BPV vaccum. I also cleaned my MAF and my K&N filter, re oiled.

HOLY GOD... SOOOOO MUCH WHITE SMOKE. The worst part about it was that I had plans, so I drove to my destination ENGULFING the road with my smoke with normal driving. When I had to merge onto the highway dear god. I can't believe how much buildup I had. I wonder what kind of terrible fuel the guy ran on this car before me, I bet it was cheap CASH only 91.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
1/2 into gas tank, 1/2 into BPV vaccum. I also cleaned my MAF and my K&N filter, re oiled.

HOLY GOD... SOOOOO MUCH WHITE SMOKE. The worst part about it was that I had plans, so I drove to my destination ENGULFING the road with my smoke with normal driving. When I had to merge onto the highway dear god. I can't believe how much buildup I had. I wonder what kind of terrible fuel the guy ran on this car before me, I bet it was cheap CASH only 91.
the white smoke is the seafoam burning in your engine. i doubt that there was much buildup in your engine. i just dont trust the stuff. i did the gas tank treatment, thats it. i get good gas mileage and burn not one drop of oil. 43k soo far on the car. ill leave the engine alone for now. just my opinions.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts

the white smoke is the seafoam burning in your engine. i doubt that there was much buildup in your engine. i just dont trust the stuff. i did the gas tank treatment, thats it. i get good gas mileage and burn not one drop of oil. 43k soo far on the car. ill leave the engine alone for now. just my opinions.
you'll get less white smoke if there is less build-up. . .

·
Registered
972 Posts
Me and my friends compared once half the can in both cars, side by side. 2006 acura rsx-s vs 99 subbie 2.5rs.....sooooo much more smoke from subbie than 40k mile car

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spoke to a buddy of mine that owns a performance tuning shop that is very familiar with the product over the weekend...and he told me to stay away!!!!! so that's what I am going to do...anyone know of any alternatives that might be safer? I am just looking to clean out any traces of alcohol from running E85 for about 6 months...had a bunch of issues with corroded gaskets and rings under my intake manifold

1 - 20 of 25 Posts