Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The warehouses have SPT exhausts in stock, but they're all on hold. Here's what I was told:

I've been doing some digging and have spoken with a dealership outside of my area this morning. The representative from the dealership said that they had gotten some information this morning. They currently have 1 SPT sedan exhaust in their warehouse and the Georgia warehouse has 30+. But, they are all still on hold. So, what are they waiting for?

Well, the first batch of sedan SPT's released does not pass all state laws for noise level. Some of us have noticed via youtube videos that the sedan exhaust seems to be louder than the hatch. I guess this is because it IS louder. They have been working to fix the problem and are currently testing another version of the exhaust to make sure that it meets the requirements. Until this testing is finished and the exhaust is verified legal, they will not be releasing any of the sedan exhausts.

The approximation for release is 3 weeks. So, putting a fudge factor into place, it's looking like it might be mid to late September before any of us see the sedan exhaust.

I wanted to share this information because I do not think many of the dealerships or customers have any clue what is going on. This is not an attempt to place blame or discredit anyone. I just wanted to share some of the information I've gotten from my calls.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,422 Posts
i have ordered from machv about 2 weeks ago .they kept saying they didnt know when the shipment was comming but it was and then got a email from them after a week and a half saying they are just getting them one at a time from overseas and filling the orders that way the only up side is the is only 3 of us that the email went too so i still may see one if not i will just get my cash back i just wanted the good price .i give them 2 weeks i will just say forget it summer will be over anyway .

·
Registered
345 Posts
wow that sucks so anyone getting the spt exhaust who hasnt gotten it yet is gonna be toned down??? glad i got mine already, and no state noise laws for exhaust so im happy

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
hmm Ive had mine for a few days, and i live in Nazifornia, one of the most car law ridden states. Left Coast WRX also has one, hes had it a week or 2 longer than me. I wonder if we lucked out and got the better-not tuned down- one

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
hmm Ive had mine for a few days, and i live in Nazifornia, one of the most car law ridden states. Left Coast WRX also has one, hes had it a week or 2 longer than me. I wonder if we lucked out and got the better-not tuned down- one
I had noticed in other post that as time went on the SPT tone got quieter after running it for a few days... I have had my SPT for a couple of weeks, but I had a chance to install it a week ago. I put a min of 350 miles on the SPT in a week and it actually sounds like it did when I first installed it. I really like the rumble right now, so I really hope it doesn't change.

Maybe we did luck out! ;D

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Is yours extra rumbly in the morning? Mine is. I know its because its cold and what not, its just crazy how low it is though

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It is defiantly a little grumpier, in a good way, in the AM. I garage my car at night, it puts a big smile every time I crank it over and back out of the garage to let her warm up. It is a very low rumble!

Even when it is warm, I get up in the higher gears (cruising in 5th), the rumble doesn't go completely away, when I drop it from 5th to 4th and let her have it, I can hear it, hopefully the car that I am passing can hear it too ;).

It is the rumble I was looking for!!!!!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Seeing as how we have totaly high-jacked this thread....

Im not complaining at all, its just somthing ive noticed.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
We could bring it back around... If Subaru was looking for a specific tone, I could be wrong, but I don't think that they quality test evey system for tone. I would hope that they would look at the welds and maybe even pressure test them for leaks.

For tone I am thinking maybe 1 out of 100 systems (that is a guess) would get tested? With that in mind maybe some made it to the market?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you got fed a line of BS.

Ordered mine July 23rd, received Aug 2nd from my dealer. 3 other SPT's came in around the same time. The build quality is excellent, as are the welds; and its not "too loud" at all, in fact it sounds almost exactly like most of the sound clips I've seen for the sedan. Sounds like your dealer is keeping you strung along until they can fill the orders. ::)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I think you got fed a line of BS.

Ordered mine July 23rd, received Aug 2nd from my dealer. 3 other SPT's came in around the same time. The build quality is excellent, as are the welds; and its not "too loud" at all, in fact it sounds almost exactly like most of the sound clips I've seen for the sedan. Sounds like your dealer is keeping you strung along until they can fill the orders. ::)
I don't understand how you can imply that a dealer is stringing someone along just because you don't think that the exhaust is too loud. "too loud" is relative and very subjective. Personally, I want an SPT exhaust, but the clips that I have seen have all shown it to be way too loud. I'll be anxious to see what they sound like once we get some more clips.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In my opinion, the exhaust is not too loud. I was cruising on the freeway last night with the windows half down talking to my wife with the stereo on and there is no drone and I don't have to talk louder to be heard. Don't get me wrong, people will definitely know you are coming. It turns alot of heads and it has the boxer rumble that Subie owners love.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The exhaust is louder in the morning because it's idleing at 1500rpm instead of 500rpm when up to temp.
Plus the air pump pushes added air into the exhaust for a bit for emissions, even my stock exhaust is louder while the air pump is running.

·
Registered
298 Posts
that's hard to believe that it's too loud. hearing the sedan exhaust in person, i could barely hear it. there are dozens of sports cars that are significantly louder than an 08 wrx with the spt from the factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It all seems to be a bit odd to me too. All I can say is that I'm trying to report back on what I've heard from the various dealerships that I've talked to. I don't think the problem is with all the exhausts, but maybe a few slipped by that were not legal and now they have to check to make sure the one's in the warehouse are? Who knows... All I know is that I've been waiting for this for a long time and this is the first real explanation that I've gotten from anyone on why there is stock in the warehouses but they are still on hold.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey, this may help or infuriate but here goes. I finally decided to pull the trigger on a sedan spt exhaust on thur 8-28. My parts guy and i talked about the delay for some time and we both decided it might be thanksgiving or even xmas b4 i ever see it but i figured with this weekend being the last weekend for the intro price it was now or never. I got a call yesterday (fri) from my parts guy saying that he was goin to sacramento to pick up an exhaust system for me, apparently he found one and laid claim to it. I will find out on tuesday after the holiday whether he got it or not. I'm sorry if i cut in line in front of neone here, i was fully expecting to wait months like everyone else did.

·
Registered
253 Posts
hey, this may help or infuriate but here goes. I finally decided to pull the trigger on a sedan spt exhaust on thur 8-28. My parts guy and i talked about the delay for some time and we both decided it might be thanksgiving or even xmas b4 i ever see it but i figured with this weekend being the last weekend for the intro price it was now or never. I got a call yesterday (fri) from my parts guy saying that he was goin to sacramento to pick up an exhaust system for me, apparently he found one and laid claim to it. I will find out on tuesday after the holiday whether he got it or not. I'm sorry if i cut in line in front of neone here, i was fully expecting to wait months like everyone else did.
This is kind of what happened to me with the SPT exhaust for the hatch back when it was months on back-order. I was not exactly ready to pay over $300 for something that I may not get for several months. I ended up calling a crazy amount of local dealers and was able to locate one about an hour from my house. Even when I went to my local dealer to have them do a search, they did not show that that one particular dealer even had it in stock.

Make some calls and you might get lucky!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts