Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know dumping the clutch in our cars is a good way to say bye to your gears so my question is how fast should I release the clutch when spirited driving without having to worry about damaging my gears. 1st to 2nd is my main worry. I dont launch my car. thanks in advance. 2012 wrx

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
i usually just get slightly moving then floor it. ive only launched a few times with mixed results. to drop down a gear, i blip the throttle and slide it right in. the tp mapping makes rev matching alot better to do. im still on the stock clutch on vf52 stage 3 and 48k miles. i guess my technique is holding up well. also swapping the subaru extra-s diff oil made a big difference in smoothness.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just think im releasing the clutch too slow when shifting to 2nd to avoid dropping it due to the stories ive heard about chipping gear teeth. 424wrx how much power are you putting down with that set up?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just think im releasing the clutch too slow when shifting to 2nd to avoid dropping it due to the stories ive heard about chipping gear teeth.
Working on your shifting technic. You do not need to fully depress the clutch to shift gears. If you decide to lunch your car from the hole, you must first work on proper engagement.
Start your car, put it in gear and slowly raise the pedal noting when the clutch starts to grab. This Is the sweet spot for clutch engagement/disengagement.

The more you work on your shifting without fully depressing the clutch the faster you will be at shifting. Your drive line and tranny will also be alot happier since you won't be shocking it.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I just think im releasing the clutch too slow when shifting to 2nd to avoid dropping it due to the stories ive heard about chipping gear teeth. 424wrx how much power are you putting down with that set up?
never dynoed. id say from others numbers, about 300whp, 320wtq, give or take. the closest awd dyno is 3 hours from me. its a fun car though. ive had it since new and its a whole different beast now! lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
In the test rides I've had with the WRX and STI I found the engagement point high but I'm guessing that as you drive it more you'll figure out how to adjust your foot movement for the sake of the clutch. Felt the Mazdaspeed and Evo had a bit more natural of an engagement point. I've asked the Subaru salesman if the engagement point can be adjusted lower, he said yes but believe he was just telling me what I wanted to hear to like the car better. I didn't have time to discuss this item with a dealer tech.

yeah the engagement point is really high I think that kind of throws me off a lil

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Well if your a avid shooter (guns),as i am, i use these words for alot of things even shifting.
Smooth is fast.
Fast is smooth.
I've heard a slightly different variation to that saying, but hopefully it helps the OP. "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast"

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol this thread is from a while back. when I first got my ride I started hearing all these horror stories about this and that and it had me trippin for a bit. I've learned a lot since then and know now that the 3g's dont have "glass transmissions" and are definitely a good bit stronger than the previous generations. still dont launch my ride though

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've heard stories to about how weak the engine is and tranny is prone to throwing a gear. My guess is that's the exception not the rule otherwise no one would buy one. When you say launch I guess you mean dump the clutch from a stop?

lol this thread is from a while back. when I first got my ride I started hearing all these horror stories about this and that and it had me trippin for a bit. I've learned a lot since then and know now that the 3g's dont have "glass transmissions" and are definitely a good bit stronger than the previous generations. still dont launch my ride though

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've heard stories to about how weak the engine is and tranny is prone to throwing a gear. My guess is that's the exception not the rule otherwise no one would buy one. When you say launch I guess you mean dump the clutch from a stop?
you"ll read and hear a lot of what I now believe to be non sense or at least blown out of proportion. the transmissions in these cars are definitely not "weak" and if I recall correctly u mentioned only wanting to go stage 2 so if thats the case it should hold up fine. the motors are not weak either. stock tune does show a lean condition that is not the best thing in the world for ur car but ull probably be on a torqued performance map soon anyways lol. as for launching I mean revving up to higher rpms and just getting on it from a complete stop. clutch dumping launches could definately break ur transmission. theres a safer way to do it by slipping the clutch however just because its safer doesnt mean its not bad for ur car. so I stay away from it all together. remember with enough abuse any car can break. take care of ur car. if u mod do it correctly and every thing should be all good

·
Registered
802 Posts
Rule of thumb for a happy clutch & tranny:
Don't dump the clutch from a standstill & try not to launch from a standstill too aggressively. A rolling start is much easier on your drivetrain. I prefer to get into 2nd gear before I really giv'er the beans.
Also, clutch dragging is a no-no. It should either be fully engaged (smoothly) or fully disengaged.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Right, you want to slip your clutch on launches. There is a reason Subaru installed a valve in the clutch master cylinder that slows engagement.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How does it slow clutch engagement work? It releases pressure to prevent or minimize tranny or clutch damage?

Right, you want to slip your clutch on launches. There is a reason Subaru installed a valve in the clutch master cylinder that slows engagement.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Naw this forum is just lame sauce nowadays

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yea to be honest all the forums are pretty dead now. even my local Subi forum is rarely used.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Yea to be honest all the forums are pretty dead now. even my local Subi forum is rarely used.
when this was 3gwrx it was pretty happening. ive been here over 5 years now. its nothing like it used to be. alot of members sold their cars. i personally just use nasioc. ive sold stuff much quicker over there and found info being there are like 400k members on there!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts