1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, it'll be loud as f*** and have more top end power. But keep in mind we have MAF based cars and there's a resonance problem between 1k - 2k RPMs during WOT with SRI and CAI setups that causes the engine to bog until you get past that RPM range. A good cheap alternative is to use a Hybrid Intake using a modded Ebay SRI (like $30 shipped) and your stock air box & snorkus which doesn't suffer the resonance problem as badly (bogging during WOT is minimal or non-existant). Here's more info on the hybrid intake: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819

·
Registered
954 Posts
i thought the general concensous (sp) was that the hybrid set up wont work on the 08?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i thought the general concensous (sp) was that the hybrid set up wont work on the 08?
Could still work. Just with the entire airbox without the open pod. At this point though, all you would be doing is smoothening out the intake tract. Unless you do the airbox mod and drop-in.

Also to the OP the 08 MAF housing was reversed so unfortunately not.

If you plan on doing open pod try going CAI, or at the very least have a heat shield to minimize some of the heat soak issues you will be getting as a result of the open pod.

·
Registered
954 Posts
im goin to have to give this hybrid a shot. i got the avo drop in already, and wasnt plannin on doin anything else until an actual intake came out

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts

Found this guy on car domain. Looks like it does fit and by the looks of that big gaping hole where the air-box was there was most likely a resonator under it otherwise there's no reason to have a cut out there. I'll hit the guy up again to see if there was one, but he did say he suffers a bad bog with WOT launches.

·
Registered
954 Posts
we don't have the resonator in the fender well so there's no point to the hybrid intake on an 08.
there is definately a resonator in the fender well, i took mine out and put it right back in

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
lol well we are in the N/A section here :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
we don't have the resonator in the fender well so there's no point to the hybrid intake on an 08.
there is definately a resonator in the fender well, i took mine out and put it right back in
no.. there isnt. either you don't have an 08, or we're talking about different things. theres nothing in the fender well that connects to the airbox in 08 like there was in previous years.

·
Registered
954 Posts
so the big white plastic resonator jug that sits in my passeger front wheel well behind the bumper is just imagination??

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I know that the WRX does not have it. But the NA one, not sure. I would figure it might since N/A has a greater need for the intake air vibrations to be resonated since there is no turbo to act as a mediator.
The STi has once because of elevated boost levels and to resonate turbocharger noise. (It was supposed to be a more sophisticated car) ;)

·
Registered
954 Posts
I know that the WRX does not have it. But the NA one, not sure. I would figure it might since N/A has a greater need for the intake air vibrations to be resonated since there is no turbo to act as a mediator.
The STi has once because of elevated boost levels and to resonate turbocharger noise. (It was supposed to be a more sophisticated car) ;)
n/a has it, 100% sure. i just had my bumper off the other day, i wish i would have taken a pic

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
n/a has it, 100% sure. i just had my bumper off the other day, i wish i would have taken a pic
Just take a pic from the side. The white part of the connection should still show. I was also trying to back up why the resonator should be there on an NA to reduce noise. :)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
No need for this anymore: issue resolved

;D

VVVV

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Hehe dude....wrong post. & I showed wrong pic. Then realised this is NA thread sorry ;D

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to tests done by Williaty on NASIOC, turbo'd EJ's don't suffer the resonance issue like the NA cars do so there's no need for a snorkus on a WRX/STI. Your guess as to why is as good as mine, but I think the turbo's frequency doesn't variate as much as the engine's does through the rev range and because the turbo sits between the MAF & the intake manifold the engine tone gets nulled. So far the only NA EJ's that don't have this issue have MAP sensors.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts