Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please respond if you are legitimately interested in purchasing a shirt throw shifter; if we have a strong enough interest I will begin contacting companies. Also list your preference for brand, if you have one. (My preference is Cobb)

·
Registered
717 Posts
i'd be interested, my preference : kartboy

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Im still really undecided between the STI or the Cobb

once i will be settled im definitly in for one of those 2

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi guys. I may be interested. It sort of depends on how my current SS project goes.

FYI on the Perrin Short Shift Adapter:

I had a Perrin Short Shift Adapter in my 02. I had it for a number of years, and really enjoyed it. I liked it so much, I bought one for my buddy and his 02 last year. For those who aren't familiar with the Perrin SS Adapter, it is a piece that slides over your existing change lever and connects to the factory linkage.. Basically, you disconnect the linkage at the lever, pivot the lever around 180 degrees, slide the adapter on, re-attach the linkage, and adjust the adapter to your liking. A sweet feature of this adapter is you do have room to adjust your throws. In the 02 I had the adapter set at Perrin's recommend max height, and the throws were nice and short. Another feature of this adapter is that you retain the vibration-absorbing properties of the factory shift lever.

The adapter:

Perrin currently lists this item as working on the 02-08 WRX. I installed mine on my 08 last week, and found the throws to 2 and 4 to be half as short as 1, 3, and 5. The throws to 2 and 4 were actually so short that I was uncomfortable driving the car, as it felt like I couldn't fully engage the gear, even though the car was in gear. NOTE: For this initial installation, I placed the adapter as low as it could go on the change lever in order to just test its function. The linkage was not binding anywhere, the change lever was straight, and my test drive was done with the console and shift boots removed.

I have been in contact with Perrin about this situation, and need to try a few other things. I will keep you informed as to what goes on. I really hope I can make it work, as the part has served me so well in the past.

And for the record, I have received very prompt responses from Perrin. Good customer service.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
GO with the STI, cause with the others it will be knotchy. The STI version changes the shifting rod, which is the problem when you change the to the others. What happens is the stock one is a straight bar and that ends up rubbing wrong. The STI one changes that bar to one with an angle in it to account for that. Unless you can just get the bar and then the shifter that you want, but I would recommend looking into that. I just put a SS in and it was way to hard to get it into gear, so I pulled it out and put in the original one.

Chris

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well looks like we have a pretty wide spectrum of answers here. :lol:

·
Registered
752 Posts
i am satisfied with the stock one for now. the only thing that i would change is the shift boot and knob. but thats too far down the road for me to worry about.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I went through a DIY install of a short shifter and ended up putting the stock one back in cause it was too knotchy and I really didn't like the feel. I will do the shifter bushings, but not sure if I will put a new shifter in. Unless I can get the rod that connects the shifter to the trans then it really isn't worth it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well looks like we have a pretty wide spectrum of answers here. :lol:
Im sure that if there is a good group deal on something, people will be all over it, as long as it is a good improvement over stock. I'm sure most people have preference but are not dead-set on one thing.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I went through a DIY install of a short shifter and ended up putting the stock one back in cause it was too knotchy and I really didn't like the feel. I will do the shifter bushings, but not sure if I will put a new shifter in. Unless I can get the rod that connects the shifter to the trans then it really isn't worth it.
so i can just upgrade the bushings and it should help out a bit?

i googled 08[/url] wrx shifter bushings. Looks like a relatively cheap mod.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you don't like it, you can always sell it to some one else.
True.
eventually i might get one, it's just not on the top of my list. The bushings are just a cheap mod i might pick up.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm gonna take out the cobb ss and use the cobb bushings on the stock shifter just to see the diff.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I honestly love the feel of the cobb SS. If you don't like it, you can always sell it to some one else.
Can you describe the difference in feel over the stock shifter? Thanks.

Everyone else, I'll begin contacting companies this weekend.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 08 came with the STI short throw upgrade.

I dont know what it feels like with the stock shifter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts