Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a lot of snow over the past two days. Here are some pics of my car with 2 days of accumulation. Cell phone pics, so quality isn't great.

Have been driving around on my RE960AS's, which are relatively good in the snow for high performance all seasons, but definitely still not what I would consider super-grippy in the snow. I really want to get a set of 2nd gen WRX 16" wheels, have them powdercoated grey, and throw some winters on em. Though, then I'd have two sets of wheels sitting in my garage unless I get rid of one of the sets I have now, though I'd rather not do that. I have a set of blizzaks for 17" wheels, but I'd rather get rid of them for something that won't get chewed up as quickly in dry weather (nokian WR's). I'm still deciding for sure, but with this snow I probably need to make up my mind pretty quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Damn I wish I lived in the Mountains. Down here in Denver we got a few inches and it stuck to the road. So today was a fun driving day (as long as you were not near traffic). I am getting my Copper/Winter Pass this weekend, so we should do some riding this season.

Since it snowed a decent amount of snow, for Denver, I am going to play in the snow with the Subie now!!!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're getting the copper/wp pass? That's the one I have. I just went out for the first time today and snuck in a few runs to start getting my feet in shape for the season (I hate my feet). Most of the mountain was still closed as of today, but it looked like they were working to get the main lift from the base that goes up to mary jane open. Maybe by the weekend. When I was down in denver about two days ago to pick up the rest of my roof rack and get my tires rebalanced it was damn near 65-70 degrees in the early evening, can't believe the snow stuck down there at all. Yah, would be cool if we could get some riding days going this year for those us of on the forum who are local-ish.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Well the snow didn't stick the other day. It did today though. And I have determined that Ebrake sliding on snow packed roads is the best thing ever!!!!

+1 For snow sliding!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the snow didn't stick the other day. It did today though. And I have determined that Ebrake sliding on snow packed roads is the best thing ever!!!!

+1 For snow sliding!!!!!!

I know you can do that sort of thing safely in the STI, but the AWD system in the regular MT WRX's is much simpler and having fun with the e-brake has the potential to damage your goodies. Maybe the snow allows enough slippage to prevent this, but it's not something I'd not want to mess with personally. Just a heads up, if you didn't know already.

I haven't done much playing yet. I've just been use throttle or a flick of the wheel to rotate the car. It's relatively tail happy in the snow compared to the 4wd vehicles I've driven. MOST of the other AWD cars I've driven have been obviously front biased, so they aren't quite as fun. I will say that the WRX plows pretty hard in the snow when you aren't on the throttle. It's almost like driving a powerful RWD car set up to understeer, only with better traction obviously.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate snow! :mad:

At least until I get AWD... ::)
Even with AWD it's hardly a snow-mobile without the right tires. I went snowboarding today, and I almost got stuck in the parking lot with my all-seasons (by almost stuck I mean I had to rock myself out). My Accord with blizzaks was definitely better in the snow and getting going in the snow than my WRX with all re960as's, unless I was trying to climb a snowy hill, in which case fwd isn't that great regardless of tire choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts