Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other thread about snow tires got me thinking. This is a question for people in Portland or similar climates

Do I need snow tires in Portland OR? The best answer I've heard is "maybe". I have my OEM rims so it's not that big a deal to get some, but I don't want to roll on those fugly things unless I have to. I'm rolling on the stock all seasons right now. Asking because it looks like I'm moving up there later this month.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you are going to see snow quite frequently, an all terrain isn't going to be that great. On the other hand you have AWD. Try them out and if you don't like it buy new tires.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
You don't NEED snow tires. You can get by just fine without them, especially with AWD since you won't really get stuck. However, if cutting your stopping distance down by 1/3 to 1/2, and vastly improved accident avoidance in slick conditions is something that is important to you, then I would veryhighly recommend getting a set.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it's sounding like probably for me and definately for my wife LOL. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You don't NEED snow tires. You can get by just fine without them, especially with AWD since you won't really get stuck. However, if cutting your stopping distance down by 1/3 to 1/2, and vastly improved accident avoidance in slick conditions is something that is important to you, then I would veryhighly recommend getting a set.

that's one way of putting it! good advice. + karma

w/ snow tires... our cars become tanks!

·
Registered
298 Posts
as long as you have some all seasons with a decent amount of tread left through them, you'll rip through the snow with the awd. summer tires will not work, they're solid as a rock at freezing temperatures and have no grip. get some snow tires and it'll be even better. just remember.. awd will give you more confidence accelerating, but you can't brake any better nor really turn any better than a 2wd drive car.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I live in Portland, Or and drove in 3-6 in of snow on the way to Mt. Hood at least once a week with the stock potenzas with ABSOLUTELY no problems at all. By the way, snow only sticks to the ground maybe once a year in the city. The ice however...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
as long as you have some all seasons with a decent amount of tread left through them, you'll rip through the snow with the awd. summer tires will not work, they're solid as a rock at freezing temperatures and have no grip. get some snow tires and it'll be even better. just remember.. awd will give you more confidence accelerating, but you can't brake any better nor really turn any better than a 2wd drive car.

qft. a lot of people don't realize that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Arnt the 09 tires summer specific? If so what do you reccomend. I think im gonna get a set of 16" 04 wrx rims and a good set of winter tires.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Arnt the 09 tires summer specific? If so what do you reccomend. I think im gonna get a set of 16" 04 wrx rims and a good set of winter tires.
Yes, the 09 has SUMMER tires. DO NOT try to drive with the summer tires in snow or ice. It is a good way to ruin your nice summer tires, your car, and possibly yourself. I've got some winter tires on their way from tire rack. They will be on the stock wheels soon. Summers will be going on some Rota Torques.

16's could be good (they fit over the brakes, I assume? You may want to check). That would work out nicely, IMO. You can get a little more sidewall on the tire because of the reduced size of the wheel. Just don't go nutty driving it. You will SHRED the soft tires. Even on cold ass pavement.

joneSi

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
a couple winters ago I saw a GTI trying to climb up an on-ramp with summer tires in HEAVY snow here in Denver (~30" snowfall in just a few hours). It was really sad. I mean I'm sure you could probably still get going somewhat with summers and our AWD, but man thinking about stopping or turning is just scary. I can't wait till some more snow starts to fall. I have some pretty good all-seasons mounted now, though they also only have a few hundred miles on them. All seasons are usually decent in the snow at first, but get a LOT worse VERY fast. It is snowing up here in Winter PArk tonight, and is supposed to snow through out the week, so hopefully I'll have some time to play.

I'm still almost on the fence about the blizzaks I have. They have a few thousand miles on them, and have plenty of tread, but one of them has some annoying radial pull so I had it mounted on the rear of a FWD car pretty much the whole time except for maybe 3-4k miles. I am mainly just worrying about the tread depth being different such that differential damage may result, though I'll have to get out and measure the tread depth really well before I really decide. However, they are also 215/50/17's, which will probably throw my speedo off a bit. Though, they are pretty insane in the snow. What I'd REALLY like to do is to get a set of Nokian WR's, though seems kind of dumb to get new snows if I already have a set that might work for my car.

·
Registered
396 Posts
P.S. When i said i drove to Mt Hood all winter on my stock potenzas i meant the all seasons not summers

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
its not just a matter of snow condition or not... the problem is also temperature, a winter tire will stay softer and its colder than a all-season tire which will loose pretty much al grip on dry cold roads

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i used the stock potenzas in the snow and they were just fine..
i used them for one day in the snow and i got scared

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
i used the stock potenzas in a light dusting that melted an hour later and they were just fine..
there, fixed it for you!

the stock potenzas suck once you've used snow tires. I picked up some Kelly tires... magna grip snow something... 205-55-16 on Forester XT alloy wheels I found on craigslist

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
LOL I like it but no I used them and I didnt really have a problem but I came from driving my Expedition and that thing is like driving on ice skates no matter what tires..

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
it really depends on the mileage. the potenzas are probably ok for the first couple thousand miles, but all tire grip in all conditions degrades as the miles climb. In my experience the initial drop in grip over the first couple thousand mi's is usually the largest though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i used the stock potenzas in a light dusting that melted an hour later and they were just fine..
there, fixed it for you!

the stock potenzas suck once you've used snow tires. I picked up some Kelly tires... magna grip snow something... 205-55-16 on Forester XT alloy wheels I found on craigslist

Nice.... 8) how much were the tire's each?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts