Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have always been a fan of blizzak snow tires and well it's getting close to winter here in ny. I saw michelin came out with some new snow tires called X-Ice and pilot alpin PA3, also pirelli and so on. What's everyones favorite flavor of winter tires? I'm trying to decide wether to stick to the blizzack or give something else a whirl!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
X-ice and artic alpin are in two different categori, the Alpin is kind of twice the price

i got myself a nice set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D - 205/50VR17 on my OEM rims last year just after getting the car last november and i love them, im putting them back in 2-3 week

I had first gen x-ice and i though they were good put worn out quick if you keep them too late in spring, for the same price you can get better

is it for your OEM rims or other rims?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
X-ice and artic alpin are in two different categori, the Alpin is kind of twice the price

i got myself a nice set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D - 205/50VR17 on my OEM rims last year just after getting the car last november and i love them, im putting them back in 2-3 week

I had first gen x-ice and i though they were good put worn out quick if you keep them too late in spring, for the same price you can get better

is it for your OEM rims or other rims?

oem rims

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

i got Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D 225/45's on the oem wheels. i bought them for my 2006 sti but i ended up trading the car in on the 08 wrx. they fit the car last year with the stock springs. they should still fit well w/ the sti pink springs but i will let you know for sure when i get back from the sahara desert in 2 weeks. ;)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
For pure snow grip I like blizzaks, though they get chewed up fast if the weather warms up. I've never heard a negative thing about Dunlop SP WS 3D's, I also have heard consistently good things about Nokian WR's, which are really all seasons, yet they outperform a number of winter tires in the snow. I will be trying Nokians when I get around to getting new winter tires, after my blizzaks wear out of course. I have about 1-2 seasons left in them probably, we'll see.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Get the Nokian Hakapelitta R's. They outperform most studded snow tires. The Blizzaks are great tires as well, performing equally as well. I think its almost personal preference, plus what you're willing to spend!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Rex... sorry to change the subject, but how do you like your 08 wrx @ stage 2 compared to your 06 sti?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Hey Rex... sorry to change the subject, but how do you like your 08 wrx @ stage 2 compared to your 06 sti?
i LOVE my 08! i bought the 06 sti used w/ 38000 km and it was driven hard and put away wet. it needed brakes, rear struts and the clutch was weak to name a couple problems it had. i had it for a week before i brought it back and traded it straight across for a 08 OBP premium sedan. i felt like i was inheriting someone elses problems for $35000 w/ a used car. also, the sti was a little too boy racer for me @ my 39 yrs of age. it was a cop magnet w/ wing, scoop and gold bbs's and not a car to take to weddings or funerals. lol. i needed something a little more sleeper and from a distance it is just a black car that could be easily confused w/ a camry or a mazda. the 08 was so very weak compared to the sti's handling and power when it was stock but i starting modding ASAP. i just don't have stg 2 power now but the handling mods have been done too. sways, endlinks, pinks, subframe bushings, yadda yadda. once the group n mounts are installed hopefully the drivetrain and body will start to feel more connected like the sti's. my goal has been to match the performance of the sti with this car and i am f'n near there. i feel a vf46 is in order and an 09 wrx stg2 tune to complete. i am running a rallitek stg 2 93 oct map that boosts to 18 psi and tapers down to 15 at like a 6700 rpm redline. this is the best performance i have gotten out of this turbo but i need just a little more umphh to take out stock sti's. i feel more connected to the 08 because it has transformed from cute pet into a little evil monster. this is the nicest car i have ever owned and i am very happy w/ it but it certainly isn't finished yet. sorry all for the book and getting off topic :)

on topic....
got the first snowfall of the season yesterday back home in st.philip's, newfoundland! (i can't believe i actually looked forward to it this year.... weird.) when i get back thursday from a month in the sahara desert i will put the winter wheels on and see if they still fit. i installed the pink springs after i took off the winter tires the spring. fingers crossed they don't rub!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I got my 08 in november of 07 and drove in 3-6 in of snow and packed snow at least once a week until may (Mt. Hood) and the stock potenzas handled the job great! I finally understood how all those subies could pass me doing 50

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Just got my new snows installed on my car...I picked up -not- performance snow tires (might regret this later, lol). Instead I got some General Altimax (225/45R-17 General Altimax Arctic to be more specific). They were the cheapest for the size on Tire Rack (therefore the cheapest I could buy) at ~$95 each *plus shipping*, so I went for it. They are REALLY soft. I kind of knew this, and don't really mind sooo much b/c they are for winter and crappy weather. I'll be uber happy to put my summers back on it later. Once I'm out of school (again) and the tires are worn out, I'll get some performance snows. Until then, I'll keep everyone posted as to how they perform in the

joneSi

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
@Chanke4252

I have general altimax pure as hell snow tires. I'd say the hankook icebear would hold their own in the snow with these, and they have HUGE tread. You might be surprised.

That said, I think you know better than me. What have you had in the past? I guess I assumed you didn't have any before, likely my critical mistake.

joneSi

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
^^yah, they are definitely primarily meant for snow. There don't seem to be a ton of performance snows in the budget range, which is disappointing.

I doubt I know better. I've had a set of blizzak WS-50's. My family's forester has the general altimax as well, though I haven't driven with them enough to have an overall opinion of them in anything other than snowpack and heavy snow. Definitely a good snow tire for the price though. I've driven on a set of Blizzak LM's (I love these) and some continental winter tire in a few FWD cars (passat and accord respectively) in mixed weather (I <3 ski/road-trips). I REALLY want to try out a set of the newer Nokian WR's, or Yokohama W-drives (edit: typo) though. Though, I don't know how much sense it makes to buy a wintery all season (or all-seasony winter if you prefer) as your winter tires if you already have a set of all-seasons.

I was only really sold on the idea of snow tires about 3-4 years ago. I had been discouraged prior to that by others' who's opinions were based on their experiences with snow tires 20-some years ago. Needless to say my head almost exploded when I finally got to drive on a set of modern snows.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Needless to say my head almost exploded when I finally got to drive on a set of modern snows.
Totally...my dad still doesn't believe it. I think I finally have him convinced.

The nokians would be money. A buddy of mine has them on an integra, and for a long time it was just a beater he drove...he thought they weren't all seasons because they were so good in the snow. Then I told him that nokian makes some all seasons, we figured out his were all seasons. And it totall PWNS in the snow.

I'll keep in mind the Blizzak LM's for after my Generals are 'up'.

joneSi

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the blizzak line is the fact that not all of the depth of the tread is the snow tread. They grip really well though, and don't feel quite as sloppy as the blizzak ws-(xx) line.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I ended up with a set of Yokohama W-Drives in 205/55/16. Discount tire had them in stock, and they were cheaper than the dunlop winter sports, so I figured I'd give em a try.

They don't have quite as much outright grip as most other regular snows, but they don't feel as splashy either or make as much noise on dry pavement, and hopefully they don't get chewed up as quickly either. They also don't respond as quickly as the RE960AS's, or other non-winter performance type tires, but it's a nice compromise. They feel like a decent touring tire on dry pavement.

Initially they feel like they grip only a bit better than a decent set of all seasons due to the fact that they will slip a LITTLE bit relatively easily when compared to a burlier snow tire. However, unlike most all-seasons I've used, when they slip they don't completely lose grip, it's kind of weird. They lose grip very gradually past the initial little bit of slipping, and when there is some slippage they still leave you in control and feel predictable and safe like a true snow tire would. I guess it's sort of like a double edged sword for me because that little bit of slippage makes it easy to slide the car around and still control it very easily without thinking about it much, so I drive like a jackass a bit more.

In comparison, my RE960AS's, which are 20mm wider, feel like ice skates once they start to slip. Once they initially break any grip in the snow, they just keep slipping and you have very little control. Having to drive 5mph everywhere (exaggeration) gets old after a while.

On a sour note, the wheels I put the w-drives on are apparently a little bent (all of them). It's not a huge deal as the bends are VERY small (hence my not noticing prior to having the tires mounted), but it does create a slightly annoying steering wheel nibble at times. You take your chances when buying things on craigslist though, so it's buyer beware. I wasted some money on the powdercoating and stuff, but life certainly could be worse. I'll probably use them at least for a while, probably till season end, then hopefully I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing with them.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I ended up with a set of Yokohama W-Drives in 205/55/16. Discount tire had them in stock, and they were cheaper than the dunlop winter sports, so I figured I'd give em a try.

They don't have quite as much outright grip as most other regular snows, but they don't feel as splashy either or make as much noise on dry pavement, and hopefully they don't get chewed up as quickly either. They also don't respond as quickly as the RE960AS's, or other non-winter performance type tires, but it's a nice compromise. They feel like a decent touring tire on dry pavement.

Initially they feel like they grip only a bit better than a decent set of all seasons due to the fact that they will slip a LITTLE bit relatively easily when compared to a burlier snow tire. However, unlike most all-seasons I've used, when they slip they don't completely lose grip, it's kind of weird. They lose grip very gradually past the initial little bit of slipping, and when there is some slippage they still leave you in control and feel predictable and safe like a true snow tire would. I guess it's sort of like a double edged sword for me because that little bit of slippage makes it easy to slide the car around and still control it very easily without thinking about it much, so I drive like a jackass a bit more.

In comparison, my RE960AS's, which are 20mm wider, feel like ice skates once they start to slip. Once they initially break any grip in the snow, they just keep slipping and you have very little control. Having to drive 5mph everywhere (exaggeration) gets old after a while.

On a sour note, the wheels I put the w-drives on are apparently a little bent (all of them). It's not a huge deal as the bends are VERY small (hence my not noticing prior to having the tires mounted), but it does create a slightly annoying steering wheel nibble at times. You take your chances when buying things on craigslist though, so it's buyer beware. I wasted some money on the powdercoating and stuff, but life certainly could be worse. I'll probably use them at least for a while, probably till season end, then hopefully I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing with them.
Damn, dude. That sucks they are bent (all of them!)...oh well. A good way to get new wheels eventually, lol. Let me know what you think the more they get worn in. They may grip better. Keep us posted. I'll do the same.

joneSi

·
Registered
675 Posts
I like my WRG2's even tho they are classified by nokian as an all season they still have the mountain and snowflake emblim as well as the M+S. here's some pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts