Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this has been already posted, but figured I'd post what I've found (this applies to the USDM models- not sure if brakes are the same elsewhere)

front calipers are two piston sliders (floaters)-pistons 42.8mm, rears are one piston sliders (floaters)-pistons 38.1mm

front pads are the same pads as most of the earlier USDM WRX's had- it's FMSI (friction material standards institute) # D929

rear pads are a little more obscure- shared w/ some of the later model 3.0 Outbacks/Legacies- FMSI # D1114

rotors in the front are again the same as earlier WRX's 294x24mm, rear rotors again much more obscure, again appear to be shared w/ 3.0 Legacies/Outbacks 286x10mm

·
Registered
954 Posts
so i can buy slotted rotors from an earlier rex and they will fit?

·
Registered
954 Posts
crap, i thought they were the same in the front. im gettin ready to do lines and would have liked a small rotor upgrade at the same time

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
same rotors in front - 294x24- 02-07 WRX rotors will work up front :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
yeah thats what i was reading i just wanted to confirm ;D so what am i searching for in the rear? legacy 3.0 rotors?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ correct 286x10- DBA offers the rear (as well as the front) in their 4000 series- plain finish # 42659, slotted add the suffix SL (left) and SR (right)

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
sorry to be a pain, but i got another question. iv heard that drilled rotors have a tendency to crack, but slotted is usually ok. should i just stick with the slotted for street use? i plan on doin some light auto x and maybe road course next year, but not every weekend or anything

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the newer 3.0's that you need to look for. Those linked are the "H6" rear rotors- 290x10- won't work w/ the 08/09 WRX's.

I'd stay away from drilled. For track- plain or slotted. Slotted will wear the pads a little quicker, but also do a good job of helping to prevent glazing.

·
Registered
954 Posts
hey i can find those dba's anywhere, got a link?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they are a relatively new offering, try giving Ken a buzz at WRXbrakes- if he doesn't have them- he can get them :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Got a query, I'm getting my 2.0NA in a week, should be pretty similar to the US 2.5i. I've inherited a set of LGT brakes, i understand that the fronts will just bolt right on, but am concerned about the rears needing some additional work. Any idea what's involved?

·
Registered
954 Posts
wish i could help ya but there are too many different imprezas outside the US is hard to keep up with whats what. someone should know though

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the fronts (if yours is like the NA version) will bolt right up- in the rear it's a little bit of a question mark due to the changes of the rear suspension- the changes in the newest Impreza makes them closer to the LGT in the rear, but there are still minor differences- I think there is a good chance they'll bolt up but you won't know for sure until you try- one thing I know for certain is you'll have to trim the rear dust shield to fit the larger diameter rotor

with the WRX it doesn't really pay to swap in the LGT rear rotors as the difference is 286 vs 290- no enough to make that much difference, your rear rotors are likely 266 which makes it worthwhile to give it a go :)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
sorry to be a pain, but i got another question. iv heard that drilled rotors have a tendency to crack, but slotted is usually ok. should i just stick with the slotted for street use? i plan on doin some light auto x and maybe road course next year, but not every weekend or anything
This tends to be the case as the cross drilling alters the rotors solid unit design. By drilling you make the rotors more susceptible to pressure damage from the clamiping forces. Also the heat becomes unevenly distributed throughout the rotor and causes temp stress issues. The slots are meant to shave off a small portion of your brake pads at rotation so the friction surface is "new" at the clamp down.

Both units are designed more for race use and not longevity of pad or rotor but for optimum clamping power and heat dissipation toss per race. I would recommend brembo or other upgraded blanks if you want longevity, more durability, and better heat dessipation.

If you want to brake better but dont care much about longevity, or if it is of secondary concern especially just in pads, go slotted.
For just braking and don't care abut the rotors lasting (they still will for a long while dont get me wrong, for us its not like we would have to replace them every month or anything, I haven't had a set break on me yet even on daily driving and hard daily driving) Go for slotted and drilled.

·
Registered
954 Posts
arent the wrx and impreza brake set up the same? i mean, the impreza with discs in the back?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not sure what the 2.5i comes w/ in the rear- it might come w/ the same rotor, but could easily come w/ the smaller ones (266 - that's what the 02-05 WRX came w/ as well in the rear)- could even be a drum possibly????

·
Registered
954 Posts
base model imprezas come with drums, i know that much. i thought the rear disc were all the same. ill have to compare mine to my friends 08 wrx and see what i come up with

·
Registered
0 Posts
My 2.0R comes with rear discs and hearing about some handbrake drum sizing across different models, i was thinking the rear LGT brakes will bolt right up but i'm not so sure now.
Based on Here & Here it appears that that the LGT being 12.3"front and 11.3" rear rotors should be a significant improvement over the stock hmmm...just realised the rear is exactly the same ::) it's 10.9" front and 11.3" rear rotors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts