·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

230WHP/272WTQ!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's better than most stock STI's out there!, but that also means subaru's own at the flywheel figures are way out?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I could see the WHP, if you add 20% to that number you are at advertised specs. The WTQ, that is a little suprising...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
yeah.. i'd check the dyno.. 272 tq is too much. underrating the torque is one thing, but underrating it by roughly 100 ft-lbs wouldn't happen. i'm guessing it's reading the rpms wrong and overcalculating the torque (i've had the same thing happen to me). 230 hp is even pretty high.. that's very near STi hp.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
yeah.. i'd check the dyno.. 272 tq is too much. underrating the torque is one thing, but underrating it by roughly 100 ft-lbs wouldn't happen. i'm guessing it's reading the rpms wrong and overcalculating the torque (i've had the same thing happen to me). 230 hp is even pretty high.. that's very near STi hp.
Agreed.

I have found that there is an AWD dyno near me here in the middle of the nowhere in the midwest. IDK what kind of dyno it is (mustang or whatever)...when I get my 09 and get it all broken in, I may run it over there and do a pull or two (I think 2 is $75 or $100). I will NOT be modding the engine/turbo/etc AT ALL....NOTHING. I'm happy to take pictures of everything while I do it, maybe even some video. That may help settle this.

joneSi

EDIT: Errr...I might have a run at the Dynapack unit in Naperville, IL instead. I don't know if I trust the guys here to not have my car go off the dyno and end up with a pile of metal that used to be my car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I could see the WHP, if you add 20% to that number you are at advertised specs. The WTQ, that is a little suprising...
The tuner and dyno that I go to have measured quite a few stock 08s from 115 to 120 KW at the wheels - that's 154 to 160 HP. So using Subaru advertised 226 HP at the flywheel = 66 HP loss which sounds about right for a 4 wheel drive car. So as the 09 is meant to have 40 HP more than you would expect around 194 to 200 HP at the wheels or 144 to 149 KW. I would like to see the 09 tested on your 'Mustang' dynos which seem to give a more realistic reading then some that I have seen from the USA. See attached video http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=wApQ7bXjnVE

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
WOW, now I really feel bad about buying an 08...
yeah, I was scratching my head on that one...... it would take the 08MY a stage 2 protune to get something like that.
Sorry guys, I don't mean to be a JERK!!!, but this is like
+1 AGREED if you dont like it build it a wrx is a tuner car if you wanted just a fast car buy the STi.. and if you dont like the fact of progression of cars dont buy one.. they went off consumer ratings!! (Our ratings) wait till 2010 it will be even better and 2011 wait still a little better.. who cares put the time and money into your car and you dont have to worrie about it.. 08's are amazing cars.. I was mad at first now it makes me want to get back and rebuild an even better car.. Sorry for the rant didnt mean to stray to far off topic..

·
Registered
112 Posts
yeah, I was scratching my head on that one...... it would take the 08MY a stage 2 protune to get something like that.
+1 AGREED if you dont like it build it a wrx is a tuner car if you wanted just a fast car buy the STi.. and if you dont like the fact of progression of cars dont buy one.. they went off consumer ratings!! (Our ratings) wait till 2010 it will be even better and 2011 wait still a little better.. who cares put the time and money into your car and you dont have to worrie about it.. 08's are amazing cars.. I was mad at first now it makes me want to get back and rebuild an even better car.. Sorry for the rant didnt mean to stray to far off topic..
word

·
Registered
430 Posts
i would believe it, my 08 with intake, exhaust and a stage 2 access port tune pulled 285ft-lbs to the wheels on the little turbo

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I fail to see how trying to establish an average baseline for the 09's is beating a dead horse rather than just doing the initial footwork. This isn't another "the 09 is better than x" thread, this is a "this is what the 09 did on a dyno" thread. This topic had NOTHING to do with the 08's at all. Put away your sour grapes.

With that said, that seems quite a bit unrealistic to me. There is absolutely NO way that the 09 realistically makes that much torque. The HP isn't quite as far off as I would expect, but still a tad high. My opinion: The numbers they got are pretty worthless either due to the dyno reading high or operator error.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The tuner and dyno that I go to have measured quite a few stock 08s from 115 to 120 KW at the wheels - that's 154 to 160 HP. So using Subaru advertised 226 HP at the flywheel = 66 HP loss which sounds about right for a 4 wheel drive car. So as the 09 is meant to have 40 HP more than you would expect around 194 to 200 HP at the wheels or 144 to 149 KW. I would like to see the 09 tested on your 'Mustang' dynos which seem to give a more realistic reading then some that I have seen from the USA.
I had my car Dyno'ed, using the AP PROTuner software...

I did this to get a baseline... Below is the results it came up more than 154 - 160

I am going stage 2 this week and getting a PROTune from the same tuner that did the pulls above^^^^ So I got a basline and I am following up with the same tuner... same system, so it will be an apples to apples comparison. That might be something for the 09 owners to think about.

OFF TOPIC

I fail to see how trying to establish an average baseline for the 09's is beating a dead horse rather than just doing the initial footwork. This isn't another "the 09 is better than x" thread, this is a "this is what the 09 did on a dyno" thread. This topic had NOTHING to do with the 08's at all. Put away your sour grapes.

With that said, that seems quite a bit unrealistic to me. There is absolutely NO way that the 09 realistically makes that much torque. The HP isn't quite as far off as I would expect, but still a tad high. My opinion: The numbers they got are pretty worthless either due to the dyno reading high or operator error.

The above quote is not about establishing a baseline for the 09's... it is about complaining AGAIN about how Superior the 09 is to the 08... I am probably just as sick of it, as you are...

Yeah that horse is beaten over and over again...

ON TOPIC ;D

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Hey! Me likes the sour grapes! :p ;D ;D
I'm content with the 08. I didnt mean to repeat whats been going for a while now. My apologize.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts