Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get some new speakers, but had some questions first.
1) The speaker size is 6 1/2 i believe, but i see alot of the more high quality speakers are 6 3/4. Will those fit? or will I need to make some modifications to make them fit.
2) Is the speaker depth an issue in our car?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
which "higher quality" speaker are you talking about ? except for eXcelon, i havent seen 6 3/4 often
i got signature series clarion and they are 6 1/2 and i had to trim the factory hole to fit them in cause the side basket wasnt clearing well
depth i absolutly not a issue compare to the previous gen

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I haven't seen anyone discussing the depth of the speaker. This too is just as important.
if its isnt discuted its because there is no problem about it, enough clearance for pretty much everything on the market

·
Registered
369 Posts
So did pretty much everyone have to destroy the stock speakers so that they could use that plastic bevel to mount it on?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
no i kept mine intact cause the basket of my new speaking was not clearing it anyway, i even had to enlarge a little bit the factory holes

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow. So how did you mount it then?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i used this to trim around a bit, put my dynamat and use a foam strip to sealed around the speaker

·
Registered
369 Posts
So it didn't sit to low without the plastic bevel the stock speaker is molded into? I put some run of the mill Sony's in my front door and the window was hitting the magnet so we had to demolish to the stockers to us that plastic piece.

I'm actually very glad I did that. That slight bit of angle seems to really help with the sound imaging.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I haven't seen anyone discussing the depth of the speaker. This too is just as important.
if its isnt discuted its because there is no problem about it, enough clearance for pretty much everything on the market
There are many depths and height differences between speakers. Some of them can reach 3" in depth or more and some reach close to 2.5" tall. I beg to differ but I think that for somebody it could be a vital piece of info that could save them some heartache of finding out the hard way. There are a few websites that state that the depth can't be more than 2", which is rather shallow. As we know every last inch counts and if someone can squeeze another 1/4" in that could mean the difference between blah and BAM.....IMO.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I second bolsak3's question... has anyone really tested the depth possibilities at all? I actually have some 6.5" subwoofers that I am considering putting in the back doors, however they are quite deep. I dont remember exactly, but im sure it would be at the limit.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I am considering rear door woofers too. Did you ever try this?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I'm running 1.25" spacers up front...Just a tad too thick so I should've went with 1"

Rainbow 6.9" up front here

·
Registered
777 Posts
How are the spacers too thick? Will the door panel not clip back in or what? Also, do you mean 6x9 or 6.9" speakers. I've seen some weird 6x9 woofers made by CDT that look interesting.

I hear those Rainbow's are super nice! Two or three way? Any pics?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Anything definitive out there for Door Panel Removal or is this pretty basic? I grabbed 4 Polk Audio DB651 coaxial speakers. I have never installed any speakers in a car before so am I going to need anything else? Anyone have these and do they fit in front and rear (sedan)? Thanks all and I'll post a review if I get them setup!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Anything definitive out there for Door Panel Removal or is this pretty basic?
It is pretty basic a few screws and that's it, watch for clips to make sure you don't snap one. The guideline in that kind of job is if it resists look again don't use force! It took me a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
How big of a spacer can we use before the panel hits the speaker?
You should be good for at least 1inch... its what i used

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
2 inch thick spacer is getting pretty thick.. i dont thing its gonna fit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts