Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What plans do you have for upgrading the speakers? I got some Polk Audio DB651S. They look pretty good, just got to get them installed. LOL.... That seems to be my biggest issue, getting all the stuff that I ordered installed.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If your driving your new speaker with your factory amp it will improve but not that much... Stock speaker are way above standard factory speaker (you will see when you will have yours out, they are woven fiberglass)

I will really suggest you to get a small amps to power them, a simple 4 x 50 RMS will do wonder, even with you rear speaker if you keep them stock

as for the install its quite easy to dismantle the door panels, i will try to take pic for you if i got time

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. I don't think that the stock speakers are bad, but I would like to have something a bit better, a little more clearity.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
speaker are nothing without proper amplification

too much is alway better than not enough

:)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True. True, but upgraded speakers are better then nothing and it is what I can do right now.

·
Registered
954 Posts
is it possible to run a 50x4 through the stock head unit?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
of course and even with the stock speaker you might be surprise

you can just hook up your speaker wire coming from the H.U to the amp in the High Level Input, or buy a line out converter which you will plug de same way but will provide you with RCA output that you can plug to your amp

the best option is what i will do and get a DSP OEM integration module which will flatted the factory H.U EQ so you provide a clear flat signal to your amp so you can reshape it the way you want

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like a good idea. But, I think that i would replace the head unit first before I did the amp setup... I would get a Head Unit that does navi too. I like the Alpine 205.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If you want to loose your sirius onboard antenna, 6cd changer and Steering control go ahead :p

·
Registered
954 Posts
of course and even with the stock speaker you might be surprise

you can just hook up your speaker wire coming from the H.U to the amp in the High Level Input, or buy a line out converter which you will plug de same way but will provide you with RCA output that you can plug to your amp

the best option is what i will do and get a DSP OEM integration module which will flatted the factory H.U EQ so you provide a clear flat signal to your amp so you can reshape it the way you want
where i can i get this thing? sorry to sound like a newb, but what does DSP stand for?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Digital Sound Processor

it will convert the signal from your H.U and will transfer it to RCA preout that you can connect to your amps

It will act as a preamp, so you gonna have a clearer and higher voltage signal and will provide you adjustement to the EQ and x-over (depending on which models some have more than other)

a cheap good one will be the MTX reQ, if you want a bit more the is the JL Audio CLeanSweep, the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 and 3Sixty.2 (the one im getting)

there is plenty of other models on the market

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want to loose your sirius onboard antenna, 6cd changer and Steering control go ahead :p
Yeah... I don't have any of that. So, it doesn't really matter for me. I got the base model WRX and it doesn't come with any of the fancy stuff.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Digital Sound Processor

it will convert the signal from your H.U and will transfer it to RCA preout that you can connect to your amps

It will act as a preamp, so you gonna have a clearer and higher voltage signal and will provide you adjustement to the EQ and x-over (depending on which models some have more than other)

a cheap good one will be the MTX reQ, if you want a bit more the is the JL Audio CLeanSweep, the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 and 3Sixty.2 (the one im getting)

there is plenty of other models on the market
sweet thanks for the info. does it plug into the back of the head unit im guessing?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
no not exaclty but its pretty simple...

You have to plug your speaker signal from the H.U to the DSP... so you basicaly plug the wire that run from the H.U to the speaker directly into the Module (so they wont be plug to the speaker anymore) and after that you plug your amp to that module and re-run the wire from the amp to your speaker. Voila

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still think that seems like too much work... I would rather replace the HU... I was thinking of getting a single DIN and then putting gauges in the extra space.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I still think that seems like too much work... I would rather replace the HU... I was thinking of getting a single DIN and then putting gauges in the extra space.
thats my plan later on too! personally i think the stock speakers on base model wrx are oooookayy. i think they should've been better. i used to have a 07 civic si that i traded in for the 08 wrx, the stock system in the civic was so much better. the stereo quality in the car is ok, since i have it off most of the time anyways. i rather listen to the turbo spool .........even though i can barely hear it when the car is all stock. oh well, changing some pipping soon, so that should take care of it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello, new owner here :)

My stereo is a big part of driving for me. I though that the stock system was adequate, but certainly could be fairly easily ungraded. I wanted to maintain the appearance as well as the XM radio in the stock HU.

Given the history of Subaru's stock speakers (paper cone / $2 Radio shack reject bin), replacing them seemed an obvious target.

A vehicle search at Crutchfield.com will not add joy, as they list only 7 models as fitting either front or rear placements, and only two that fit both. Only the JL Audio TR600 appeared to be above factory quality. I verified with Crutchfiled guyss that the lack of choices is mostly due to depth restrictions. Unfortunately, shallow mount speaker share a common theme: lack of bass extension.

I then called most of the local car stereo seller/install places in the Portland Oregon area looking for someone with Subaru experience. I eventually ended up using the Car Toys Beaverton location.

My speaker choices were Infinity Kappa 62.7i (rear) and 60.7cs (front). If you have the opportunity to audition them, I think you will find that they easily better anything in the $150 range, as well as the lower end Focal models. Only the mega-buck Focals were noticably smoother in response. Amazingly, both the 6" main speakers and the 60.7 component tweeter fit in the stock locations with absolutely no modifications, contrary to Crutchfield. Both doors were also fully Dynamat'ed.

The Kappa's are 2 Ohm speakers. The implications are that they will be more sensitive (i.e. louder) than the stock units, but will tax the amplifier section of the stock HU. While obviously no power-house, the stock HU has had no issue driving them thus far.

The sound? Well, it's better, but not to the extent that I had anticipated. Unfortunately, looking back, the reasons seem kind of obvious.

1. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the stock speakers do not suck. In fact, if your budget is ~ $100 per pair, you're wasting your money. As noted earlier, they appear to have aluminized kevlar main drivers and aluminum dome tweeters with phase plugs. The seperate tweeter is also an aluminum dome. By all rights, they are top quality for stock units.

2. The sound from the rear door units is near the floor and the front seat backs. They add virtually nothing to overall sound field for the front passengers. Replacing them by definition is an exercise in futility.

3. The position of the front tweeters is low, and aimed directly at the occupants. There is little center-fill or spread from the windshield, unlike other applications.

Basically, the speaker placement/environment is a significant limiting factor in this vehicle. IMO you can make it somewhat better fairly easily with careful selection, but a world-class system will involve, a lot of time, money, and probably significant surgery.

Also note (as I didn't see it anywhere else here) that the stock HU has the WOW addition. It's not labeled correctly and doesn't appear to be in the manual. It's under the MENU button. It's labeled as CS off/on. The WOW adds what sounds to be a combination of reverb, bass enforcement, and synthesized surround. Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The Kappa's are 2 Ohm speakers. The implications are that they will be more sensitive (i.e. louder) than the stock units, but will tax the amplifier section of the stock HU. While obviously no power-house, the stock HU has had no issue driving them thus far.
You are driving 2ohm 75-90RMS speaker on the OEM amplifier ?!?
You do know its kind of bad both for your speaker and amplifier... one being underpowered and the other overproducing... that something im not recommending for anyone

Those speaker need proper amplification to perform well... your OEM unit is probably having a higher THD at 2ohm than a more powerfull aftermarket amplifier design for 2ohm application which you definitly need to add to your setup... and sine your kappa are 2ohm you dont need a big power amplifier... 4x100rms @ 2ohm is fairly easy to find for cheap

1. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the stock speakers do not suck. In fact, if your budget is ~ 0 per pair, you're wasting your money. As noted earlier, they appear to have aluminized kevlar main drivers and aluminum dome tweeters with phase plugs. The seperate tweeter is also an aluminum dome. By all rights, they are top quality for stock units.
For that reason i recommend starting with adding a amplifier to your stock system for those who want to go with the OEM unit ingration route... if you get a aftermarket unit its another thing... the difference will be significant to the OEM speakers !!

As for your kappa they are a good choice for the price especialy for te fact that you can get cheaper amp to power them to their full potenial cause of the 2ohm.... im currently running 2 sets of kappa 6x8 on my Contour SVT powered by a Eclipse EA4000 and they are handling great.. lots of good midbass kick.... i also had a set of kappa 6x9 (previous generation 4ohm) in my old jetta which i liked better tho..... but i got them for cheap at work i get 75%off on all infinity speakers and woofer...

·
Registered
59 Posts
You are driving 2ohm 75-90RMS speaker on the OEM amplifier ?!?
You do know its kind of bad both for your speaker and amplifier... one being underpowered and the other overproducing... that something im not recommending for anyone
Power handling is listed as 2-75 Watts RMS. I believe the stock unit is 20 Watts RMS, which appears to be adequate. A correctly designed all transistor power amp should be stable into a 2 OHM load, though it's unlikely that this one will be able to power-double into it. The feature of the Kappa's for me was the 95db / watt sensitivity. They are obviously louder at a given volume setting than the stockers.

I agree that a seperate power amp would be optimal and at some point (probably when I get a sub and my bank account recovers) I'll go for it. It does bring in the need of something like the JL Audio Clean Sweep if you want to maintain the stock head unit though, which I do.

SVT Contours were the best handling car Ford ever made, IMO. ;D

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
the clean sweep will do good... for myself im heading toward the Rockford 3Sixty.2 (you can have the 3Sixty.1 for cheaper with less adjustement)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts