Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's try to keep this simply as a registry. Save comments, talks, speculation etc. for the other Spearco GB thread.

We'll use this to try and narrow down issues and get impressions of the intercooler on different vehicles and setups.

So, add your year and model, mileage, engine modifications, boost pressure, who it is tuned by (E/pro-tune), before and after dyno plots, impressions of performance and issues. Any other information you think would be relevant also.

However, please keep personal opinions as to solutions, spitballing etc. to the other thread. Try to keep this clean, succinct and manageable.

·
Registered
957 Posts
MODEL: 2010 WRX
mileage: 30 000 Kilometers (roughly 18750 miles)
Boost pressure : 19.5 PSI
Tuner : Eric Minehart @ TP (not yet tuned for the intercooler)
Modifications : K&N Cold air intake, GTSpec headers (equal), GRIMMSPEED EBCS, Catback exhaust, Forge BPV, other irrelevant odds and ends.
Dyno plots incomming, along with impressions.

Also no whistle

cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
MODEL: 2011 WRX sedan
mileage: 13k
Boost pressure : 20 PSI
Tuner : Eric Minehart @ TP
Modifications : Aem cai, Perrin turbo inlet, Hks bellmouth dp, GRIMMSPEED EBCS
3rd and a short pull in 4th. this was before sealing/grinding the bpv.

from when i just threw it on *the car didnt like it* vs after a few tweaks from eric

and here is my battle whistle, lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
2010 WRX Sedan
mileage: 29k
Boost: 20 psi
Tuner: EFI Logics Protune
Mods: AEM CAI, Grimmspeed EBCS, Tomei ELH/Up, Cobb DP, Stock catback, Forge BPV

Sorry I don't have a 'before' plot. I added the ELH, 3 port and top mount in one shot and limped her over to EFI to get everything tuned together.

Performance-wise I'm very happy with the car. Revs climb smooth as butter and there is WAY more juice up top. The combination of 3 port, ELH and this top mount make for a real smooth running engine.

Like Redmed's video in the other thread, I'm getting the same deep whistle/humming sound. My tuner didn't see any signs of a boost leak. I also ended up doing a decent amount of grinding on the spearco ducting to get everything to fit nicely around the boost return tube. With the hood closed, I wasn't happy with how much pressure was being put on it. Same gripes as everyone else with how the bpv mounts/seals to the endtank as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
MODEL: 2011 WRX
mileage: 9k
Boost pressure : 19 PSI
Tuner : Eric Minehart (not tuned for the ic yet)
Modifications : Stock intake, Grimmspeed PnP Manifolds, Cross Pipe, Up pipe, EBCS, Invidia Downpipe, SPT Catback exhaust, Forge BPV. and a few others

Have the noise everyone else has been having. finishing the swap from spt boost gauge to defi this morning then will see where my boost is. Also used t-bolt clamps everywhere.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Vash what bpv you running? Just curious

·
Registered
219 Posts
2010 WRX Hatch
Mileage: 51k
Boost: 21 psi
Tuner: EFI Logics - Protune
Mods: AEM CAI, Grimmspeed EBCS, PnP'd stock header, Invidia Catted DP, CNT N1-style catback, Forge BPV, DW65C fuel pump, NGK one step colder plugs, Spearco TMIC

The dotted line in my EFI tune is the "before" and the solid line is the "after." Eric had tuned already e-tuned me for the EBCS, so the the dotted line was my Torqued Performance Stage 2 tune with the Spearco, header, plugs, and fuel pump installed but not accounted for. The after was EFI's tune accounting for the new additions.

Being that I was tuned the same day with cbs160 at EFI, the tuner didn't see any signs of a boost leak. I too am getting the same high pitched sound that everyone else has mentioned, but it's not big deal and I'm not concerned about it. The Spearco functions great, i'm hitting target boost with no problem and intake temps look great. My main qualms are with the fitment of ducting, namely around the BPV, and the way the BPV mounts to the end tank. I had to cut a notch to clear the BPV and a notch for the ducting to meet up properly with the hood scoop vent. Spearco needs to do something to address the way the BPV is mounted the end tank. The end tank is not flat, and its not a good design to have so few threads, especially in soft aluminum, people will, and have, had issues with this. Some type of plate or flange should be added that's big enough to install a helicoil or provide more threads to bite into.

·
Registered
48 Posts
MODEL: 2012 WRX hatch, 5300 miles
Boost pressure : 19 PSI
Tuner : Ed @ EQ Tuning
Modifications : AEM CAI, Invidia catless DP, Aeromotive fuel pump, Turbosmart Kompact BPV, Hallman Pro MBC, Stock CBE

Problem: Sounds like it's screaming bloody murder.

Also, the heat soak on this thing is ridiculous. If it was a smaller core, hot air could rise past it. Because the only way up is through the core, it's heating up more than it's cooling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
MODEL: 2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5EAT
mileage: 140K+
Modifications : K&N Typhoon Intake, GMS Mufflers, Cobb AP V2 (Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune) - for now...

No dyno plots, but I do have the whistle from time to time. Doesn't seem to be consistently there, but also haven't done any logs to see if it occurs at a specific boost level, etc. Honestly, my whistle (when it does happen) isn't really that loud or obnoxious. I can barely hear it if i'm driving with the windows open and am not really concerned about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I added heat soak to my problem list. No other TMIC has heat soak this bad. The IC is melting the rubber on the weather stripping! I really regret buying this thing. It was a good price, but I don't think it was even worth that. The wait was too long for this kind of crap. I know no part is perfect, but come on, some of these things are a little too simple to overlook.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I added heat soak to my problem list. No other TMIC has heat soak this bad. The IC is melting the rubber on the weather stripping! I really regret buying this thing. It was a good price, but I don't think it was even worth that. The wait was too long for this kind of crap. I know no part is perfect, but come on, some of these things are a little too simple to overlook.
So, you didn't do enough in terms of heat prevention [what exactly have you done. .] for a TMIC that sits directly over the turbo and it's the TMIC's fault?

·
Registered
48 Posts
So, you didn't do enough in terms of heat prevention [what exactly have you done. .] for a TMIC that sits directly over the turbo and it's the TMIC's fault?
That's my point, why design a TMIC to sit directly over the turbo? I should have know before I ordered it. I didn't expect spearco to put out a product like this. I shouldn't have to do any heat prevention. Yes, heat prevention is always good, but it shouldn't be required in order to make the IC function. This TMIC actually causes MORE heat. My tuner said that mine was the worst case of heat soak he's ever seen. Shouldn't a bigger IC make it cooler?

I have ptp heat blanket and lava wrap on it's way. If that doesn't cut it, this POS is gone.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's my point, why design a TMIC to sit directly over the turbo? I should have know before I ordered it. I didn't expect spearco to put out a product like this. I shouldn't have to do any heat prevention. Yes, heat prevention is always good, but it shouldn't be required in order to make the IC function. This TMIC actually causes MORE heat. My tuner said that mine was the worst case of heat soak he's ever seen. Shouldn't a bigger IC make it cooler?

I have ptp heat blanket and lava wrap on it's way. If that doesn't cut it, this POS is gone.
I really don't know what to say. Buy a factory sized intercooler if you're expecting the factory equipment to work in conjunction perfectly. Putting it over the turbo was the only way to get the size, clearly. You saw the design, don't cry about it now. Have you got any data to back up your claims or that of your "tuner?"

And, heat soak has nothing to do with the cooling efficiency. Have you got the factory heatshield on there?

·
Registered
219 Posts

I really don't know what to say. Buy a factory sized intercooler if you're expecting the factory equipment to work in conjunction perfectly. Putting it over the turbo was the only way to get the size, clearly. You saw the design, don't cry about it now. Have you got any data to back up your claims or that of your "tuner?"

And, heat soak has nothing to do with the cooling efficiency. Have you got the factory heatshield on there?
Let's try to keep this simply as a registry. Save comments, talks, speculation etc. for the other Spearco GB thread.

We'll use this to try and narrow down issues and get impressions of the intercooler on different vehicles and setups.

So, add your year and model, mileage, engine modifications, boost pressure, who it is tuned by (E/pro-tune), before and after dyno plots, impressions of performance and issues. Any other information you think would be relevant also.

However, please keep personal opinions as to solutions, spitballing etc. to the other thread. Try to keep this clean, succinct and manageable.

He's entitled to his opinion about the heat soak being a performance issue, let's keep the discussion about it in the other thread.

·
Registered
48 Posts
He's entitled to his opinion about the heat soak being a performance issue, let's keep the discussion about it in the other thread.
You're right sorry for the BS. I guess some was just ranting. Mods, feel free to clean my crap from this thread.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mileage: 9500k
Boost pressure : 17psi
Tuner : Tim Bailey, Cobb Tuning Surgeline
Modifications : Cobb SF intake, Cobb EWG 44 Tial, Cobb EBCS, Invidia Downpipe, Nameless 3" catback, Forge BPV

Have the whistle. Cobb performed a smoke leak test and there are no leaks.

Dyno plots coming...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Modifications : Cobb SF intake, Cobb EWG 44 Tial, Cobb EBCS, Invidia Downpipe, Nameless 3" catback, Forge BPV

Dyno plots coming...
Were you stage 2 before you installed the intercooler? What was your peak psi before install, if so.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Dyno plots coming...
Were you stage 2 before you installed the intercooler? What was your peak psi before install, if so.
i had the Spearco installed with the EWG install (routed back into exhaust). The intake and full exhaust was pre Spearco and EWG. All retuned. I was at a 17psi tune prior as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts