Subaru WRX Forums banner

1881 - 1899 of 1899 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Zulu it's time you stick your foot in your fucking mouth. Thank you turbonetics for finally coming through!
Seriously, I know he was just sticking up for something he feels responsible for, but he constantly implied we were installing it wrong, which to car guys is insulting.

The update is pretty good. I haven't got it retuned yet, but the whistle is s pretty much gone. I say "pretty much" because the higher the ambient temp, the more it appears. Where I live in Monterey CA, I don't hear it at all. When I go to warmer climates, it starts to chirp a bit. But it's nothing like before. Even Turbonetics said it was really bad before the update.

It took a while but the update is good. Thanks Reggie!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,884
Seriously, I know he was just sticking up for something he feels responsible for, but he constantly implied we were installing it wrong, which to car guys is insulting.
I still think you're installing it wrong, nothing has changed -- hell, you still have the whistle with the redesign while a lot of us still 'don't' on the original design. Turbonetics caving to a vocal minority is out of my jurisdiction (they also say the whistle is readily apparent on the OE IC amongst others).

And, calling RedMed a car guy is insulting to car guys. :rolleyes:

I will say that redesigned endtank looks pretty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I still think you're installing it wrong, nothing has changed -- hell, you still have the whistle with the redesign while a lot of us still 'don't' on the original design. Turbonetics caving to a vocal minority is out of my jurisdiction (they also say the whistle is readily apparent on the OE IC amongst others).

And, calling RedMed a car guy is insulting to car guys. :rolleyes:

I will say that redesigned endtank looks pretty.
I don't care what you think. My IC was professionally installed with multiple boost leak tests done, and then Turbonetics took my car is did almost 2 months worth of testing to determine that is was not poor installation. Plus they told me once they had it redesigned that the whistle was not 100% gone.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,886
The whistle exists on the OE IC as well, just a matter of testing for it -- can't get 'rid' of it either, but it should not be audible.

Anyway, you're not gonna blow me away with some new whistle information, so just enjoy.

With Turbonetics having redesigned the BPV mount, did your installer have any issue with the sanded down BPV flange sealing? I really doubt it, so little material was taken off, but.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The whistle exists on the OE IC as well, just a matter of testing for it -- can't get 'rid' of it either, but it should not be audible.

Anyway, you're not gonna blow me away with some new whistle information, so just enjoy.

With Turbonetics having redesigned the BPV mount, did your installer have any issue with the sanded down BPV flange sealing? I really doubt it, so little material was taken off, but.
No, no issues with the BPV sealing. It stretches the hose a bit more because its relocated, but it still fits.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,889
I took the opportunity a month or so back to try and fit my Beatrush strut brace (version 2 I believe). Close, but no luck. You could likely tighten the strut brace down entirely and do some minor cosmetically damage to the IC, but no thanks, I don't have a DD. There might be considerable damage over time, especially when driven. I'll have to figure out a spacer solution, but that's backburnered for more interesting projects.

Sorry, first photo shows correctly rotated in my photobucket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took the opportunity a month or so back to try and fit my Beatrush strut brace (version 2 I believe). Close, but no luck. You could likely tighten the strut brace down entirely and do some minor cosmetically damage to the IC, but no thanks, I don't have a DD. There might be considerable damage over time, especially when driven. I'll have to figure out a spacer solution, but that's backburnered for more interesting projects.

Sorry, first photo shows correctly rotated in my photobucket.
Why not add washers under the strut brace mounts? That will raise it slightly to clear.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,891
My first thought as well. In the last photo you can see the back right nut just barely. Notice how much (or little) it is threaded on -- that is the most it would go. To be safe, you'd have to construct a strut tower mount for the brace to mount on. I could be overthinking it, but I don't want to create any leverage for the brace to stress those studs.

Anyway, mounting the brace to another mount probably limits the already limited positive effect of the brace. But it'd look nice!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got mine installed this past weekend. Bought it off Jollyp a little while ago. He was nice enough to have it sent in to have the new end tank welded on as well as the BPV flange redrilled.

Install wasnt too bad. Most problems were my fault...like giving myself an hour of daylight and working in the dark with an LED flashlight...woke up the next morning, started from scratch and the install was pretty easy. My only complaint is that I could not get the new bolt into the clutch slave. The bolt is long and the core sits too far over the bracket to fit through the hole. So, I just left it out. It seems sturdy enough, I can always try again in the future.

Mounting the BPV was cake with the new flange. I could torque it down without worrying about stripping the threads. I had to reroute one of the vac lines because it was stretching (can see in pick below).

Now for performance... I do not hear any boost leaks, but I will wait to do a data log before I guarantee that statement. I also do not have the howl that everyone has complained about. I do have a slight noise that sounds a little like the boxer "gurgle" is being echoed by the massive core, but I was expecting a little extra noise from the bigger core...not even an issue.

I do not have a thermal camera, so this next bit is a primitive assessment. When I finished the install it was a 95 degree day. I went for a pretty long drive and hammered on it a little. When I got home the turbo side was warm, bu cooler than stock...the TB side was a good bit cooler. Keep in mind this is on a day where it reached 100 out a couple times.

Flash forward a few days...now its 85 out. Same type of driving for same time period. The turbo side now felt almost ambient temp, and the TB side was actually cool

Now I just need a new protune to see what the real results were like.

Some other stuff I did in support were: Perrin turbo blanket (rumor is they sourced PTP), DEI titanium heat wrap, DEI gold heat reflective tape.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just decided to check on the thread updates, is Turbonetics still offering the trade in for the new end tanks? Seems I'm a month late, but would love to not have the intercooler whistle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fyi when my car was protuned by topspeed in gorgia .I made 306 /343. The tuner said that the spearco did its job more effeciently than the process west.he said its one the best he has seen for our cars.I dont have the version 2 end tanks I have the v1.
IMO the spearco is the next best thing to front mount ,with the proper heat wrapping and heat soak prevention its a great setup.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,899
Good to hear^

Still on V1 myself without any issues. I'll send the IC in for a V2 workover whenever my car is down for a bit; I like the curved endtank.

1881 - 1899 of 1899 Posts