Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Spirited driving"

Hi all.

I just picked up a 08 WRX sedan. It is my first performance vehicle. As I'm still breaking it in, I've been keeping it under 4k rpm. Once past 1k on the odo, how hard can I really push this car? The acceleration at about 2700 rpm is just amazing, but so far I've been always pulling back before really tearing 'er loose so I'm really looking forward to letting it rip off the line past the 4k range. Can I be driving this thing up in the 4k-6k range relatively frequently or am seriously shortening the life of the car?

TIA.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Re: "Spirited driving"

if you go google engine break-in you'll find like 1000 different opinions.
basically you'll see two types, a hard break-in or the light break-in.

the manual says take it easy for the first something thousand miles (sorry i don't remember exactly)
but i think that just goes for brakes, turbo, and not so much the actual engine.

however, i learn that you need to run the engine under high throttle and heavy load to properly seat the piston rings. the oil can't get up to the cylinder walls unless its over 4k rpm. they says this should be done within the first 50 miles or the cylinder walls and piston rings will never be properly seal.

with today's modern technology i bet the factory takes cares of the motor break-in before it even gets to dealerships.

so anyways, congrats on your new car! if you ask me.. i'll just drive it! i did take it easy for the first 500 miles then i just drove it how i normally drive everyday.

·
Registered
344 Posts

6k really isn't that bad as long as you are not doing like 60mph down the highway in 2nd for an hour. A nice blast (or 2 or 3...) into the 6ish is in my daily commute. Welcome, and enjoy yourself. ;D
That said, you sould wait the 500 mi. or so break-in first ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts

You don't want to risk your engine by going against the manufacturer's recommendation of running in.

Just resist till 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

1000 milles wow that's short my dealer told me to way 5K KM wich is basically 3106 Miles (not EXACTELLY should be in the 3106.06ish) but hey took me less than a week to do it so ;). For you I'd say wait 1K of slow I'm learning to see how is my car miles than enjoy her total power ;D

·
Registered
102 Posts

I'd cry if break-in was 5k. I'm just at 5k now and I've had my car since October. Granted, I don't drive my car that hard anyways

1000 milles wow that's short my dealer told me to way 5K KM wich is basically 3106 Miles (not EXACTELLY should be in the 3106.06ish) but hey took me less than a week to do it so ;). For you I'd say wait 1K of slow I'm learning to see how is my car miles than enjoy her total power ;D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

oh well I did for 5k KMs but as I said I took me 1 weeks or so t get there so no big deal ;)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

You don't want to risk your engine by going against the manufacturer's recommendation of running in.

hahaha look who's talking, like you respect your manufacturer's recommendation :p

·
Registered
0 Posts

hahaha look who's talking, like you respect your manufacturer's recommendation :p
hey i actually did man. So did my previous car. I'm very discipline in this aspect. ;)
i only read the run in part in the manual after my mileage was past 1.6k km, hahaha... ;D

·
Registered
421 Posts

hey i actually did man. So did my previous car. I'm very discipline in this aspect. ;)
i only read the run in part in the manual after my mileage was past 1.6k km, hahaha... ;D
nice one jimmy! hahaha

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

1000 miles is not a magical number. There is nothing mechanical about it. Just b/c the odo goes past 1000 miles doesnt mean that you can just floor it right there and then. Personally, I didnt floor it till after my 1st oil change which was a 1.2K miles. Maybe I'm just a bit old school.............
oh, keeping it under 4K doesnt mean anything either. If the driver is flooring it and shifts at 4K, thats also considered a no-no.

·
Registered
537 Posts

1000 miles is not a magical number. There is nothing mechanical about it. Just b/c the odo goes past 1000 miles doesnt mean that you can just floor it right there and then. Personally, I didnt floor it till after my 1st oil change which was a 1.2K miles. Maybe I'm just a bit old school.............
oh, keeping it under 4K doesnt mean anything either. If the driver is flooring it and shifts at 4K, thats also considered a no-no.
The 1000 mile mark is only precautionary, chances are nothing will happen to your engine if you floored it before the break in. I drove my WRX home from NY to Ottawa and went through Toronto (export, import thing), I put 15 hrs of driving on it in about 2 days and floored it a few times, drove at the same speed for hours blah blah. My car was fine. I asked the same question on another forum because I wasn't sure either most people don't worry about it and one guy said that he had is WRX on the race track less then 24hrs after getting it.
That said trying to take it easy on a new car isn't a bad thing but it isn't the end of the world if you didn't do it.
If something did go wrong when you were driving it hard who's to say that it wouldn't have gone wrong if you were driving it lightly?

·
Registered
0 Posts

not sure abt elsewhere but when they unload the cars from the ship, they already flooring them to speed up the unloading process.

·
Registered
344 Posts

not sure abt elsewhere but when they unload the cars from the ship, they already flooring them to speed up the unloading process.
Im sure this is true everywhere. Mine had 26mi on the OD and the salesmans says "Go ahead and floor it here" Plus I worked at a dealership and was not easy on my loner car, which had only 100mi when I got it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts