Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering is that guard really needed.it is a pain to take off every oil change.i also have ramps but they wont go under the front of the car.is jacking up the sides better for clearance for the oil change?thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
disregard an answer.i jacked up both front corners and its very easy to do the oil and filter.the cover isnt bad either.goes right back on.thanks anyway!!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I did mine the 1st time last weekend. I have never changed oil on a car that required removing so much stuff..... even my brother w/ a 05 was getting little annoyed but I'll get used to it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did my first oil change yesterday and I don't understand the plastic splash guard. They do have a little access door there where the filter is but the hole is not large enough to fit a filter through, let alone a filter plus the tool.

Anyone modify and open that access port yet and make it bigger so you can do the whole oil change without removing the splash guard?

·
Registered
91 Posts
That plastic air dam is there to help with the aerodynamics of the car, i.e., fuel efficiency etc etc. Without it, you got more air resistance. I know what they're for, and they're put there for a reason, but you got me as to how it actually works other than influencing airflow.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
it's there to protect your oil pan and hoses and stuff as well as high speed stability and airflow.

the door is useless. I don't know why it's there.

removing it is easy if you have ramps or jack stands. you just have to pop out the rivets inside the front wheel wells and the bolts in the front and clips in the back of the cover. it comes right off.

drain the oil, change the filter, replace the washers and tighten the drain plug to spec torque, refill oil to spec, done.

once you get the hang of it you can get it done in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I've been thinking of replacing mine with a rallitek skidplate at some point. It has a nice big round hole cut out for the filter.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
holes are bad! you have to remove the plate to drain the oil anyway... I don't see why you'd want an access hole for the filter... just makes the skid plate weaker

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
holes are bad! you have to remove the plate to drain the oil anyway... I don't see why you'd want an access hole for the filter... just makes the skid plate weaker
It has a drain hole too iirc. I don't think it really matters for street or light gravel usage. It's not like you're going to be pounding the plate with boulders, and if you are then you have bigger problems. Besides, the plate would still probably be burlier than many of it's mounting points.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just took an Exacto blade and cut out an approx. 6' x 6' hole were the oil filter is and will never have to remove the guard again for an oil change. That hole will make no difference on regualr road use. I also put 5 rare eath magnets on the oil filter to trap small metal shavings in the oil filter.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just took an Exacto blade and cut out an approx. 6' x 6' hole were the oil filter is and will never have to remove the guard again for an oil change. That hole will make no difference on regular road use. I also put 5 rare earth magnets on the oil filter to trap small metal shavings in the oil filter.
I think you mean 6", 6' might be a little large for just the oil filter... ;D

I too put an access for the oil filter in mine with a hole saw. structurally it's exactly the same. I get the whole airflow thing, but as mentioned the aftermarket aluminum plates have access for oil drain and filter, and I'm pretty sure the standard 2.5i imprezas don't have the shield at all, so it can't be that huge of a deal.

Protects you from gravel/road debris, and keeps the engine bay a lot cleaner from road grime. probably a bit better flow for the radiator and aerodynamics, but overall not going to make or break the car imo.

SJ

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
our blocks are aluminum... you won't catch any metal shavings in there unless you're running into serious problems

1 - 12 of 12 Posts