Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to ask a question that no sane person would be asking, but would there be any benefit to putting the SPT catback exhaust on the 2.5i? I know its design diameter is for the wrx, or other turbo applications, but with the introductory price so low, it is hard not to ask... Anyway, would there be any benefit to putting one on besides giving a different exhaust note? Would the exhaust actually be detrimental to a 2.5i since the pipe is larger than optimal?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm not an exhaust expert...... the pipe diameter does matter, however, only the axleback portion is 3". But there is potential loss of torque due to less back pressure (dont quote me on that). I honestly think it may be a better idea to buy a used WRX exhaust for the NA owners.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Larger piping will create a loss in torque at lower RPMs (if it is too large, I mean)...

You'll probably get a little more high RPM power with the SPT catback...although not more than 2-3 horsepower which is not very noticeable...for that price, you are paying for a good sound and nice exhaust tip, that is about it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Ok, I caved....i bought an SPT exhaust...i couldn't resist, i'm addicted to modding ;)
Let me know how it goes. I'm trying to decide between it an getting a shop to fab up an axleback with a magnaflow or similar.
Ok, lol, 2 days later I un-caved, i canceled my SPT catback order...i just wasn't happy with the exhaust sound of the SPT (and I know my wife would have killed me for spending 400 shipped on a mediocre sound, no real performance increase and an improved exhaust tip)...i'm probably going to go a custom fab job as well...probably a stromung axleback modified to fit an 08 and a custom midpipe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think you will have enough back pressure, the SPT exhaust is right on the boarder of not providing enough back pressure for the WRX, someone on here said you would probably be better off buying a used stock WRX exhaust.........and it just so happens I have one. I picked up my AEM manufactured for SPT exhaust from AEM yesterday and bolted it on, nice power increase - really stretches the power band. If you are interested in the stock WRX exhaust I have I will let it go for $100 bucks, you have to arrange shipping. Let me know email me if interested [email protected]. The exhaust is for the 5 door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts