Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pick up the SPT exhaust and that's my only mod so far. I have read you do need a tune, you don't, So what is it, do I need to get a tune to run cat back only? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
239 Posts
You don't really need it for a CBE, but as the standard tune is quite poor if you can afford it then get a tune. I actually ran a TBE without a tune for quite some time (No CEL), although it was running slightly rich. When I finally had it tuned, it was a different car (35KW/46hp improvement).

·
Registered
717 Posts
no tune needed for catbacks only. TB - different story.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
I'd get a stage 1 tune just because it's better...

CBE won't change anything that you need it, you'll just want it haha...

·
Registered
821 Posts
a drop in free flow filter would be good for spt cbe. and still no tuning required.
which brand? k&n? i always hear mixed reviews on those due to the oil, but i guess you'dd really have to have alot of oil on them to contaminate the MAF, right?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
a drop in free flow filter would be good for spt cbe. and still no tuning required.
which brand? k&n? i always hear mixed reviews on those due to the oil, but i guess you'dd really have to have alot of oil on them to contaminate the MAF, right?
Yeah, more when people re-oil, that's why I get non-oiled in teh first place. Take a look at a blitz drop-in they are oil free.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yeah, more when people re-oil, that's why I get non-oiled in teh first place. Take a look at a blitz drop-in they are oil free.
[/quote]

I'm think about getting one myself.

·
Registered
821 Posts
thanks guys. i haven't googled them yet, but what are the drop ins costing? i know i've seen k&n ones for around $40-$48, but i'd rather have a dry-flow one.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I install thos do I need to reset the ecu pr anything? I came from a honda where there wasn't even a tuning option at the time 08 SI.

·
Registered
821 Posts
When I install thos do I need to reset the ecu pr anything? I came from a honda where there wasn't even a tuning option at the time 08 SI.
watching for reply.

i never did reset the ecu when i put a drop-in filter in my tC, but when i put a CAI on i did reset the ecu.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You don't have to reset the ECU for a drop in filter, the ECU will learn over time just fine. That said, if you do a reset it will figure it out faster, only takes a 10mm socket and a couple minutes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
k & n should be good, provided properly oiled. (not over oiled).

but before installing my current blitz system, i used pipercross ... worked pretty well. :)

my tuner also did what is referred to as vishnu reset (applying brakes while on some measure of boost) free horsepower :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts