Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybodys SPT exhaust sedan or hatch gotten any louder? ive had mine for like 2mo and its developed a rasp when i get on it. its also raspy now when i cold start the car while the air pump is running... I just noticed this last night. im cattles and have been cattles since i got the exhaust.

Also the passenger side muffler getts most of the exhaust flow due to the y-section being off center. wonder if this muffler is blow out, I can tell the right one gets more exhaust flow because the left one is rarely as hot as the right

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I dont think mine is getting any louder (I'm CBE only, on a hatch). However, wouldnt a muffler be less efficient at muffling sounds over time anyhow?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yeah unless something got screwed up in the muffler, I dont see how it could have gotten louder... Do the SPT exhausts come with any type of warranty? If so maybe they would give you a replacement muffler? ???

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My passanger side muffler has developed the same sort of rattle, but only on cold start and after I installed my Cobb DP. Might be worth a call to the stealership...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Same here. Heard it for the first time on a cold start like 2 weeks ago. Thought my exhaust came off the hanger and was just hitting something. If anybody takes theirs to the dealership let me know what happens. Def would like to see what they say.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I am getting really close to putting a resonator on it to quiet it down some...I just need a LITTLE boxer rumble...

·
Registered
752 Posts
mufflers take time to break in, right? The baffles have to set or something.
It can also have something to do with the weather. It's November after all.

if you think your exhaust is too loud... i've been running around with an open downpipe for months ;D

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
mufflers take time to break in, right? The baffles have to set or something.
It can also have something to do with the weather. It's November after all.

if you think your exhaust is too loud... i've been running around with an open downpipe for months ;D

I am thinking that it has to do with the Cold (45 - 50 degrees) and Foggy (a lot of moisture) conditions where i live.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
cold air is a lot denser than...warm air. So in part it could have something to do with the cold starts and the more work your exhaust is having to do get all of that waste out, causing a slight buzzing which would in theory get louder at higher speed.

I dunno, at least that's what I've noticed, I've never gone as low as honda level lol, but when it's really cold out there's a slight buzzing til the car warms up.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
There was a drastic change, it just appeared one day, so my first reaction was something let go. Now that I am seeing that that other are having similar results makes me think that it is a conditions or weather related. The weather changed that drastically, one day it was 90 degrees and the next it was 60 degrees or lower. :eek:

Once my cars warms up it will quiet down a little... :-\

gotta sound clip?
Hey Rex, I will try to get a clip on Wed before my Tune!!!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have to believe that mine has become a little louder, but it didn't happen overnight. It has just reached the level I was looking for and I hope it stablizes where it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts