Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people prefer true third party accessories because they tend to be a bit more aggressive whereas others prefer SPT parts for their WRX because often times factory warranty is preserved in using Subaru's official parts. Currently there is not very much offered by SPT for the 2008's but here is a list of their site of what they are working on first for the '08 WRX:

New Performance Parts currently under
development for 2008 Impreza WRX models:
SPT Performance Exhaust and Air Intakes
SPT Turbo Heat Shield
SPT Strut Tower Brace – Front
SPT Lower Front Chassis Brace
STI Front Lip Spoiler
STI Pitching Stopper
STI Motor Mounts
STI 5M/T Transmission Mount
STI Suspension Bushings
As more concrete information comes in I'll be sure to update this thread as a sort of "SPT watch" for those interested.

Cheers.

·
Registered
717 Posts
all their stuff is way overpriced....guess that's what you pay to keep your warranty :-\

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all their stuff is way overpriced....guess that's what you pay to keep your warranty :-\
I concur in general, but there are other ways to get SPT parts then through the dealer at significant savings. It will still cost about the same or a little more then 3rd-parties, but for an OEM fit and warranty protection I plan on using some their stuff in the build up.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well, I think that only some of there stuff would be worth buying. Look at the exhaust and see how many bends there are, make sure that it has as straight of flow as possible or then you are just spinning your wheels.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Please forgive a stupid question: why build up a WRX instead of buying an STi in the first place? Won't you end up spending more money in the long run?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, for the 10k difference you can have a car that is far superior to the STI.
If you say so.

Once you start adding up the costs of the suspension bits, 6-speed trans, short-throw shifter, SI, DCCD, and so on, it add up very, very quickly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
But you don't have to pay STi interest, loan payments, or insurance. Those are monthly costs. When doing a buildup, you can pick and choose what you want your car to be like, not preselected by the manufacturer. Whether or not it is worth the cost is all up to the buyer. Some people also love the challenge of the build.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well, you can get the 6 speed installed for pretty cheap. The short throw shifter is about $100 aftermarket, the cost I was giving for the 10k difference did include suspesion, power, brake, and 6 speed. The dccd and si while nice are not necessary. Plus there is the difference in insurance pays for it many times over.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Fair enough. I'm financially challenged enough that I was trying to keep my ten-year-old Izuzu Rodeo (don't ever buy one) going for a few more years, but it kicked me in the soft parts one too many times (alternator failure on the way to work last week, after just having it in for repair for something else the previous month, and so on, and so on). I decided that I'd have this WRX for at least as long as I had the Izuzu, so I could swallow the purchase price. But, now I have two car payments (the missus's car plus my own). No go-faster parts for me. I also don't want a car that breaks when I step on it hard, and that means that I'd have to be willing to spend real money.

You guys enjoy. I'll live vicariously through you. ;D

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
They will be laughing until they see my S-GT logo going by them. Plus, my car won't look as much like a hot rodder, like the STI, so not as noticeable to the Black and Whites.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
plus you have a sleeper when you're all done

STi guys laugh at you until you go flying by them
If I owned an STi, I wouldn't laugh at anyone. Just enjoy my car...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
plus you have a sleeper when you're all done

STi guys laugh at you until you go flying by them
If I owned an STi, I wouldn't laugh at anyone. Just enjoy my car...
Ok let get something clear... a WRX is NOT a sleeper... just by looking at it you know for sure it doesnt have 100hp....

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Very true, but it does look like a Martix which helps keep us under the radar. The previous bodies look much more menacing.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Very true, but it does look like a Martix which helps keep us under the radar. The previous bodies look much more menacing.
but the matrix dont have a big scoop and agressive rear diffuseur... ;D

·
Registered
177 Posts
re buying a wrx instead of an sti -

1 - got it cause sti was not available yet (at that time).

2. assuming that the sti was available then, id PROBABLY still get the wrx.. i know id still change some of the parts that are built in. so i dont want to pay premium for things id replace in any case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts