Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the SPT heat shield with my cut oem heat shield under it with a Cobb DP. You will not like getting the tranny dipstick and it will sit very close with Perrin TMIC. Other then that its a nice looking piece. Install took about 20 mins and I could only use the 2 bolts and spacers out of the three it came with since I'm using a Cobb DP. One of the mounting hole is on a bracket that was removed with the OEM dp.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Looks very nice
+1 :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

It's a nice piece.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's made to go on top of your oem heat shield. You can install the SPT with out the oem heat shield.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you install it without the oem heat shield you might have some big gaps. Make sure you leave on the oem heat shield bracket on top.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Alright imstuner, need a bit of tech support.

Per instructions:
I put the three bolts on the unit
I pulled my exiting heat shield bolts off

Now I'm trying to position the darn thing in there to attach it. How did you finagle the shield down in there? Did you remove your IC?
I have already dropped the long bolt down onto the splash guard, so I'll have to fish that out, but before I try again I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't take off the TMIC. Keep in mind I had to cut the oem heat shield for my Cobb DP. Look at number 1 on the installation instruction and put the " D " bolt in the hole, then slide the right spacer in the bolt and put that washer on the bolt. This will hold the spacer and bolt in place. Take " C " bolt and put the thick spacer on it, then put the washer thing on it. Tread the " C " bolt on the bracket 1st. You can slide the heat shield on to that bolt later. I could not use the " D " bolt b/c I no longer use a oem DP and I took that part of the bracket off. Put the heat Shield over the stock shield and tread the " D " bolt in. Please use you fingers and not tighten it down all the way down with a socket b/c you will need some play to align it. You might need to remove the tranny dip stick. You can push on the SPT heat shield to slide it between bolt C and the spacer. Tighten down bolt " C " 1st and then " D ". I hope that helps if not i'll take a little video later on to point everything out.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for the tips; my problem was actually getting the shield just down into the space correctly. After going back out I realized I was a moron and needed t remove my strut brace first. I have 4 different projects going on so I have not been focusing as I should have. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
It looks great, and thanks for the post. It's good to know how it fits in conjunction with the Perrin TMIC. Are you getting any rubbing or rattling anywhere or are the clearances consistent and open?

·
Registered
493 Posts
so heres the big question, does it rattle, and why did you leave the stock on? Leaving the stock HS on and SPT HS over top the OEM HS is going to take away from the air flow.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
so heres the big question, does it rattle, and why did you leave the stock on? Leaving the stock HS on and SPT HS over top the OEM HS is going to take away from the air flow.
because it's meant to be installed over it. And I don't understand how there is any valuable airflow that will be inhibited by the inclusion of the heat shield. It is meant to do exactly what it is called, shield from heat.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks great, and thanks for the post. It's good to know how it fits in conjunction with the Perrin TMIC. Are you getting any rubbing or rattling anywhere or are the clearances consistent and open?
No rubbing or rattling with the Perrin TMIC.

It's made to go over your stock HS and no rattles.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the response.

Do you think it would fit without the stock HS?
I see you have a Invidia DP so you can only use the 2bolts out of the 3 it comes with. If you were some how able to retain the bottom bracket then you can use all the bolts. You can just use the SPT HS alone but you will have a large gaps. It still looks awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Thanks for the response.

Do you think it would fit without the stock HS?
I see you have a Invidia DP so you can only use the 2bolts out of the 3 it comes with. If you were some how able to retain the bottom bracket then you can use all the bolts. You can just use the SPT HS alone but you will have a large gaps. It still looks awesome.
I've only been using two of the bolts on my COBB heatshield, but it rattles like an AK. Hopefully the SPT won't. :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm sure my SPT rattles but there's no sound coming from it and it sits very close to my Perrin TMIC. When I test fit the SPT HS without the stock HS under it. It didn't sit as close to my Perrin TMIC.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts