Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my 1st question is from what I've read going stage consists of downpipe and CBE. I already have the CBE and stage 1 and am wondering if going stg2 is really worth the money or if its really not that much of a gain. I've been looking at Cobb and Perrin downpipes. If I go catless will the trigger the CEL?

Thanks

Alain

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
going from stage 1 to stage 2 is about another 10hp.. don't remember how much torque, prob about the same. thats just on the OTS maps.. if you get a protune you will get about 50-60 hp total from a TBE... its def worth it because when you start modding even more you need that DP... and if you do get a catless DP it will throw a CEL but you can get rid of the code with your AP. and cobb and perrin dps both come catted.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
uh, it's a little bit more than 10hp, and it depends on what maps you are using. The perrin maps are quite a bit more aggressive than the cobb maps.

Most of the gains at stage 2 are going to be seen in torque. The TC can't really hold much boost up top and it'll still run out of steam at roughly 5k. However, you'll notice a pretty powerful kick when the TC kicks in. If you already have the AP, the downpipe is definitely going to be worth it imo.

Read this (http://www.perrinperformance.com/pages/show/68), just keep in mind that the numbers should really only be loosely compared to each other, not numbers other people have seen on other dynos. The dyno perrin uses looks like it reads really high. Also make sure you notice the points at which they measure peak HP and where that stacks up against the point where the map they are comparing it to reaches it's peak hp.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I guess my 1st question is from what I've read going stage consists of downpipe and CBE. I already have the CBE and stage 1 and am wondering if going stg2 is really worth the money or if its really not that much of a gain. I've been looking at Cobb and Perrin downpipes. If I go catless will the trigger the CEL?
Thanks
Alain
Are you referring to peak power gains or low end tq? It really depends on this. If you already have the Perrin tune or a protune the gains up top will be quite minimal since the turbo is already maxed as many of the people here state. If you are the type of guy that loves the kick from the grind, then its worth it. For my purposes, however, I need peak and linear power so I may not want to go that route if I had a WRX. This is also assuming you don't plan on upgrading the turbo in the future. If you do, then by all means get the unit as you will need it.
As far as the CEL, you wont get it if you are tuned by Perrin or a protune as the boost values for the CEL are beyond its physical limitations. The COBB tune may, because it's ultra conservative.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the information. I mostly want something that I can have fun with on a normal drive or in the mountains. Top end pull is important but often times your in the mid range more then anything so I think to have good power all around it good. I don't plan on upgrading turbos or anything like that. I don't want to end up with headaches lol. I will most likely get the DP and see how it goes. I already have the Perrin Stage 1 map for now.

Thanks
Alain

1 - 6 of 6 Posts