Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i found out sort of what stage II is, so out of the box, the wrx is 225hp, stage II will bump it up to 285hp? which means it can keep up with an sti? also i went to the cobbtuning website and looked under power, thats everything thats required to go into this "stage II"?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Intake, Exhaust (Downpipe) and Tuning of course. I'd put a full exhaust on to get all the potential out of the car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
A stage 2 wrx is not gonna "keep up" with an STI. There are more things to consider than just shear horsepower. The STI has as better intercooler, bigger injectors, a beefier 6 speed tranny, a tighter suspension, and better stopping power to boot. The only thing the Stage 2 REX will get ya is a little closer to the STI's rear bumper on the highway. That said, I'd settle for stage 2 myself because it is a killer bang-for-your-buckand $1000's less money ;D

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Intake, Exhaust (Downpipe) and Tuning of course. I'd put a full exhaust on to get all the potential out of the car.
intake is not required nor recommended for Cobb Stage II. A full turbo back exhaust is not necessary, just the downpipe.
One more reason why the stage II WRX will not keep up with the STi is in transmission gearing. And if you happen to challenge the STi, lets not forget whos got better brakes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A stage 2 wrx is not gonna "keep up" with an STI. There are more things to consider than just shear horsepower. The STI has as better intercooler, bigger injectors, a beefier 6 speed tranny, a tighter suspension, and better stopping power to boot. The only thing the Stage 2 REX will get ya is a little closer to the STI's rear bumper on the highway. That said, I'd settle for stage 2 myself because it is a killer bang-for-your-buckand 00's less money ;D
the WRX has the same fuel system as the STI for 08...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
You won't get too close to the STI's hp with the stock 08 wrx turbo, but you can surpass a stock sti's torque pretty easily with a turbo-back exhaust and a protune. If you want to keep up with an STI plan on doing a lot of chassis/suspension mods, get some decent tires, among other things in addition to the stage II setup. The STI has a lot over the wrx in the performance department than just a little more power. Still, you really can't beat the performance bang for your buck of a modded wrx. I'd rather take the 10+K I'd spend on the STI and throw a bunch of mods on my WRX, but you'll obviously have to consider the issue of transmission and clutch failure at that point, among other things.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A stage 2 wrx is not gonna "keep up" with an STI. There are more things to consider than just shear horsepower. The STI has as better intercooler, bigger injectors, a beefier 6 speed tranny, a tighter suspension, and better stopping power to boot. The only thing the Stage 2 REX will get ya is a little closer to the STI's rear bumper on the highway. That said, I'd settle for stage 2 myself because it is a killer bang-for-your-buckand 00's less money ;D
yeah - especially not a tuned STI (BLITZ Nur Spec DT, BLITZ SUS Power Type LM Air Filter, BLITZ Throttle Controller, HKS EVC) now at 325/330HP...

;)

Scheduled Mods: Orient Works' "Result Magic" ECU Tune

·
Registered
988 Posts
so i found out sort of what stage II is, so out of the box, the wrx is 225hp, stage II will bump it up to 285hp? which means it can keep up with an sti? also i went to the cobbtuning website and looked under power, thats everything thats required to go into this "stage II"?
I would look under Perrin maps they make a bit more power. Cobb likes to be on the safe side with their maps, so you tend to run richer.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I would look under Perrin maps they make a bit more power. Cobb likes to be on the safe side with their maps, so you tend to run richer.
^^^^ I second this. Stage 1 Perrin tune almost kept up with me when I was w/o tune. (rolling straight-line only) In the corners, sorry, he disappeared from the rear view. On the upside my friend is now going to go Stage 2 and suspension tuning while at the same time considering to trade up to the revised 2009 WRX. And doing the same thing. :)

--Anyone notice on the Perrin webiste that a Stage 1 WRX can out do a stock STi? ???
http://perrinperformance.com/pages/show/68
vs.
http://perrinperformance.com/pages/show/65

Only 5whp less but gobs more tq

1 - 9 of 9 Posts