Subaru WRX Forums banner

STI 08 overheating at the track

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  saturn 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm a first time Subaru owner and I live in Puebla, Mexico. I got a 08 STI about 8 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago I took it to a Track Day (Amozoc, Puebla, the WTCC layout). I have to say the car's handling and power are awesome. Timesheets showed some Porsche caymans behind me and a close fight with a BMW M3 and a BMW Z4 M (modified). It was great fun but when driving the car on "Sport sharp" mode (the obvious one for a track) it started overheating. I could do about 2 or 3 fast laps and then i had to slow down to reduce temperature. I didn't let the needle get all the way up but I didn't expect that from these car. Temperature that day was around 24¬?C (about 75¬? F) so it wasn't such a hot day. There were some other STI owners (previous models) and they haven't experienced this problema with their cars, it actually surprised them. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Any suggestions? I know some previous models had a button to spray some cold liquid into the intercooler, but it's not longer available on the 08 model (at least i haven't found it nor is described on the manual).

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think i'll try setting the IC sprayer before spending more money on a bigger intercooler or an oilcooler and see how it works.
I must say it was just getting hot but i reduced my pace every time so it wouln't reach a higher temperature. I'm pretty sure that if i kept pushing it would have overheated 'cause after 2 or 3 laps temperature would go high very fast.

#3 ·
im pretty sure the 08 STis come with the sprayer.

#6 ·
I recommend getting the HKS or Blitz oilcooler. I'm currently using a brandless oilcooler and i'm overheating pretty fast on the track still.

Was recommended by my workshop to get 2 coolers. 1 HKS or blitz cooler (extremely expensive) and 1 brandless. They say this setup works well on the track, especially when the 2.5 engine heats up much faster than the 2.0 engine.

However, i haven't tried out the above recommendation yet. It might just be a money making recommendation as some people have warned me ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.