Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gearing up to negotiate on a new car this week. I'm starting to wonder if the STi market might be flooded. Up here in N. Nevada there are only a handful of the cars on the lots, but down in the S Bay Area there are something like 25 cars available between two dealers. To put it perspective there are about 15 wrx 5 doors.

http://www.stevenscreek.subaru.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Subaru&model=Impreza+WRX&trim=STI

I'm still up in the air over the STi vs the WRX. The WRX is powerful enough, but I really want to STi DCCD. It might boil down to the best deal I can get on the car.

Anyone negotiated on a STi lately? Are the dealers getting ready to drop their drawers on these cars?

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is probably pretty irrelevant, since I'm not even on the same continent as you, but the Subaru guy over here says he's a little worried cause the STi's are not moving like they should be - there was a pretty strong backlash last year when the new models came out, and then the STi - hardcore Subaru fans were on the forums screaming bloody murder for Subaru making the Impreza hatchback exclusive. .. Thing is, my image of hardcore Subaru fans has always been "super nerds" anyway - did I really need to say that?? (But over here at least it's true)

I wasn't really paying attention because at the time I was in Legacy GT world - but anyway, I guess these guys haven't really come around yet?

Not seeing many Impreza's on the road at all yet, much less STi's. For the record Legacy GT/GT - Bspec's are All over the place still.. Funny though, the only guys who stare are those guys, the Legacy guys. And the Impreza guys. But mostly the Legacy guys. Well who cares who stares anyway!!!(I personally am Not out to get noticed, that's for sure, but I do notice when people stare)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
my .02... Play the internet game, start pitting one dealership against another and see where the drawers drop ::) doesn't hurt you to try, your not wasting gas or a huge amout of time traveling to these dealerships, (especially if you are comming from N. Nevada/Tahoe area) you are out a little computer time, I found it kinda fun ;D

IMO I would stay away from Stevens Creek unless you like swimming with sharks. If you do go with them just make damn sure what you are getting! ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
i work at a dealer and like said before the sti's arnt moving like they should dealers will def negotiate and like said above me play the internet game its the easiest way to get the best price probably below invoice.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
this may be a little different but I wanted to buy my 08 WRX in the middle of winter last year (when apparently people don't buy subarus, wtf?)

I pitted two dealerships against each other OVER THE PHONE and never stepped foot into a showroom until I had a deal and it was to drive down there, drop off a check, and pick it up. you basically have to just be like "well so-and-so dealership said they'd give me $xx,xxx and summer tires, all-season floor mats, clear bra, and a premium package... can you beat that? if you can I'll walk down there today and sign a check" -- they'll usually crumble under the pressure. it helps to do this on a rainy day or at the end of the month.

I got them to go basically below invoice out the door on a WRX that would probably still be sitting on the lot.

keep in mind they will never do any favors for you if you do this! I've learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The quotes are starting to come in. Initial quotes on WRXs are <$3000 below MSRP (over 10% below MSRP). Quotes on STIs are closer to MSRP. I think the dealers will have to move on the STI prices. A lot dealers are sitting on more STIs than WRXs.

Up here in Tahoe I looked at an WRX and STI a month ago. Both cars are still in inventory. The dealer gave me a sob story about how nothing is moving. The weather was crap up here this weekend. They must be getting nervous.

To be honest I've never gotten any favors from any dealership even when I paid closer to MSRP.

Come guys after years of dealers jacking us around on WRX prices, now is our time.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
In case anyone is following along. Best price so far. Base WRX ,900 including sport grille.
I wounder what the preimum package is going for... you run across any of those TS? (If I can use that "TS" less typing ;))

·
Registered
223 Posts
STI's are just sitting around man. This is America, hard-core sports cars in hatch form make no sense to us. The WRX 5-Door looks cool and is pretty damn cool, but the STI in hatchback form is just kind of weird.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
33000 for Base STI. Best offered price so far. A bit disappointing. I'd like to get the STI price down to $31k.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't priced the premium package cars. I didn't think it was worth the money. Anything above the basic WRX and I'll scrape up enough pennies for the STI. Only cars I'm pricing are the base WRX and the base STI.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I haven't priced the premium package cars. I didn't think it was worth the money. Anything above the basic WRX and I'll scrape up enough pennies for the STI. Only cars I'm pricing are the base WRX and the base STI.

Ok forgive me if I'm wrong I'm only guessing here I've heard mention of "Base Package" and "Premium Package" on this site quite a bit so I am assuming those are the two packages you can choose from when you decide to buy a WRX or STi over there.

I kinda appreciate the simplicity of that in that compared to over here, where you have to buy your car "made to order" (they don't keep cars in stock, but you also have to wait like a month to get it delivered) you can end up adding from zero to 10 grand or so to the price of the basic car itself in various option packages that pinpoint various parts of the car and a la carte options that get combined together to form the complex thing which is finally "your car".

So what I mean is I am not exactly sure what the exact differences between base and premium models are, or the difference in price, (base is totally stripped and premium is totally loaded llike the old Mustang LX vs. GT or if there isn't much difference between the two?) but my basic rule about those things is if you hvae the option between thing A which is stipped and bare and thing B which is less than an A but is the best of what a B can be, go for the best B rather than the half-assed A... Does that even make sense??

For example when forced to choose betwen a stipped down STi vs a WRX which is done up all nice, I would definatly go for that, even if it is the lesser car. Least hot swimsuit model or the best looking normal girl? Which do you go for?? Who knows, in the end it's just to each his own anyway right??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the WRX there are basically two inventory codes for the base and premium cars. On the STI I believe there is only one. Then there are big dollar add ons like the NAV and BBS package. The Premium package adds a few thousand $$ to the price, and the primary difference is a few body panels.

I basically decided early on that if I was going to beyond the base WRX, I was going to go for the REAL premium package. The STI.

·
Registered
138 Posts
On the WRX there are basically two inventory codes for the base and premium cars. On the STI I believe there is only one. Then there are big dollar add ons like the NAV and BBS package. The Premium package adds a few thousand $$ to the price, and the primary difference is a few body panels.

I basically decided early on that if I was going to beyond the base WRX, I was going to go for the REAL premium package. The STI.

Yeah that makes sense too - depends on what your game is - I wouldn't want to be losing money from losing bets I placed on myself to win races with a WRX when I could've been using an STi. If the bse STi is really no different than a premium one then why bother going premium anyway - there is no burning need for navi over there right? (Big need for navi over here)

Separate thing, but to me a "few body panels" can make all the difference in the world...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Here is the difference between the Base and Premium package WRX (A little more than a few body panels ;)):
Fog lights
Front lip spoiler
Aerodynamic side ground effects
Rear bumper ground effect
Rear spoiler (4-door)
Rear diffuser (5-door)
Heated side mirrors
Windshield wiper de-icer
Dual-stage heated front seats
Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
80-watt 10-speaker audio system with 6-disc in-dash CD changer
MP3/WMA capability
SRS Circle Surround Automotive‚Ñ¢ audio enhancement
vehicle speed-sensing volume adjustment.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I was kind of pissed -- I was playing the price game and finally got the price where I wanted it

I was under the impression I was getting a premium 5-door with the nice sound system and heated seats, window wipers and mirrors, plus diffuser -- afterall, this is what I test drove and had wanted to buy...

once I got home I realized the dealer sold me a base model...

oh well! still not bad for 20k

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here is the difference between the Base and Premium package WRX (A little more than a few body panels ;)):
Fog lights
Front lip spoiler
Aerodynamic side ground effects
Rear bumper ground effect
Rear spoiler (4-door)
Rear diffuser (5-door)
Heated side mirrors
Windshield wiper de-icer
Dual-stage heated front seats
Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
80-watt 10-speaker audio system with 6-disc in-dash CD changer
MP3/WMA capability
SRS Circle Surround Automotive‚Ñ¢ audio enhancement
vehicle speed-sensing volume adjustment.
Wow! That's quite a bit - what's teh difference in price, about, for all that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts