Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pretty cool but I think overpriced. $400 for just springs is crazy (even though subarugenuineparts is giving a better price than the dealer). I'll wait for the H&R's.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
there are much better springs and way cheaper too out allready, i say stay away from those.

·
Registered
121 Posts
there are much better springs and way cheaper too out allready, i say stay away from those.
Which ones? and where can I find them?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Swift springs will be out soon, i think a few weeks.
The springs i have will be out in 2 months
Cobb has some OK springs

Do a search on some other forums and youll be flooded with results.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which ones? and where can I find them?
Cobb has springs for 0:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3802

RalliTEK's springs should be out soon for around 5 - 5. I got an email from them this morning.

Coming soon... No release date set right now. Cost will be approx 5-5. We are trying not to release any info until we are fully ready. Watch our website for updates, or write back at any time!
Thank you very much,
www.RalliTEK.com
I posted the STI Performance Springs info for those who want to stay within their warranty. :) Personally, I'm waiting on RalliTEK's specs before I decide. ;)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
From what everyone is sayn' H&R is the way to go. just my .02

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pretty cool but I think overpriced. 0 for just springs is crazy (even though subarugenuineparts is giving a better price than the dealer). I'll wait for the H&R's.
I have the H&R's, they are quite nice. You need to decide if you prefer a linear spring rate or a progressive rate. H&R's are progressive.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Is there any reason why you wouldn't want a progressive spring rate? Particularly on a car with relatively little travel in the suspension?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Basically...no. Unless you track the car. Some will say that linear rate springs are much more predictable, but I prefer progressive rates for a car that actually gets driven on various road surfaces and actual DD type driving.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is there any reason why you wouldn't want a progressive spring rate? Particularly on a car with relatively little travel in the suspension?
Progressive rate springs are the all-season tires of the spring arena. They do what most people want, but lack a performance edge and still have drawbacks. I used to have some H&R springs on a previous ride. They were great as long as the pavement was mostly smooth.. very nice riding. The problem was that when I hit a pothole (especially with a passenger in the car) it was a violent change in spring rate. For big bumps you're basically wasting your limited suspension travel on compressing the spring enough to start resisting.

Then there's the handling where a progressive spring needs to take a set before it starts working. You turn the wheel and the car leans over until the spring loads up.. then any mid-corner bumps you hit are very rough and your transition to the other direction is delayed. Couple some progressive springs with some stiff swaybars and this becomes far less of a problem.

If you just want a lower car and don't really care so much about razor-sharp handling as much as you do a smooth drive.. get the progressives. If you autocross or value handling over a smooth daily ride.. get the linear springs. The reason you don't see so many linear springs made for the aftermarket is because most people who want will step up to coil-overs anyway.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Very helpful info! I was kinda wondering the differnce in the two spring rates myself, Thanks for breaking it down in a more clear understanding. :)

cheers!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Progressive rate springs are the all-season tires of the spring arena. They do what most people want, but lack a performance edge and still have drawbacks. I used to have some H&R springs on a previous ride. They were great as long as the pavement was mostly smooth.. very nice riding. The problem was that when I hit a pothole (especially with a passenger in the car) it was a violent change in spring rate. For big bumps you're basically wasting your limited suspension travel on compressing the spring enough to start resisting.

Then there's the handling where a progressive spring needs to take a set before it starts working. You turn the wheel and the car leans over until the spring loads up.. then any mid-corner bumps you hit are very rough and your transition to the other direction is delayed. Couple some progressive springs with some stiff swaybars and this becomes far less of a problem.

If you just want a lower car and don't really care so much about razor-sharp handling as much as you do a smooth drive.. get the progressives. If you autocross or value handling over a smooth daily ride.. get the linear springs. The reason you don't see so many linear springs made for the aftermarket is because most people who want will step up to coil-overs anyway.
+1 for that my man

·
Registered
121 Posts
It seems like a real good deal, but I was looking for more of a drop than 10mm (= 0.4inches).

What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gotta love subarugenuineparts.com First a $300 catback and now $150 springs!!! gotta love owning an 08. Cant wait to get these parts installed. Oh hai im new here too.

Oh and I got the sport grill to install too.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
arggh im so torn.. somebody have it yet ?

1 - 20 of 204 Posts