Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last thread was locked but I know have approval to create a new one. I have read the multiple threads on these springs (strut issues, warranty, installation) but wanted to get some feedback on the handling characteristics. Are the people who put these on happy with them? Do you see a big handling upgrade or is it more in conjunction with putting bigger sways on. The service manager who I talked to about these made me nervous after he told me most people he put these on for got sick of them for a daily driver due to the stiffness of them. Are they really that bad?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if it wasn't for the struts blowing how was the ride? I use it a daily driver and don't want to lose my fillings going over every bump.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
They are quite streetable. Just a tad firmer than stock but rattling your teeth out? Not even close.
STi pinks rates are about 3.8kg/mm or so while my current rates are 10kg/mm.
Anyone know what the OEM WRX rates are? I think they were about 3.3kg/mm or so.
Mild drop of 15mm also. So they tried to keep the overall balance of the car, similar to how COBB tuned their suspension kits.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Drop is 10-15mm, they look sporty, but they don't make your car look "lowered".

Coming from a 2.5i, with a stock 19mm front bar and no rear sway bar, I noticed a big difference when putting on the pinks, less body roll, more responsive....well worth the money.

(The car felt even more responsive when adding larger aftermarket sways, endlinks, and a front strut tower brace.)

The ride is definitely not too harsh with the pinks though...I asked my wife if she could tell a difference after I swapped the springs, and she said, "No, is there supposed to be?".....in other words, they are stiff enough to improve handling, but not enough to say, "omg, I shouldn't have gone with springs this stiff" every time you hit a bump in the road.

Some have complained that the pinks are under-damped on the stock struts, which is true, I feel they are as well....but not dangerously so.

When autocrossing they are not scary in their handling or anything.

I only notice their under-damped nature while using the car as a normal daily driver, not while driving aggressively.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly the information I am looking for.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Body roll reduced in turns. Slightly stiffer, sometimes you notice it and other times you don't. Really depends on road surface whether I even remember I have them on, till I take a turn. Not a huge difference, but they are not meant to be. Sportier than stock.

Your Service Manager must be talking about other lowering springs, or maybe STI pinks for other model years, because they are not something that will make anyone sick of them, from my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I feel like adding my two bucks worth as well.

I purchased the STI pinks from the USA and had them shipped to me in time to be fitted by the dealer here in Australia during delivery.

I've had them 6 weeks now with no problems whatsoever, They are great. As everyone else has said, they stiffen the ride a little without making it a pain for daily driving, but when you push hard they seem to respond to that and shit all over the standard springs. As for body roll, you might notice a bit on a track or pushing hard through a twisty hill climb somewhere, but negligible for normal driving.

I say do it!!!!! You'll love them. Just make sure you get the dealer or a reputable mechanic to do the install, could save a lot of grief later on.

Pete

·
Registered
574 Posts
For the current price ($160 over at SGP) they can't be beat.

I found overall ride quality to be significantly better and actually give a nicer daily driver ride than stock. Less bounce over speed bumps. Less rocking back at start and a lot less diving forward at stop.

Don't let the sales guy scare you. You will have an "Ah, that's much better" moment after you start driving around in them.

SJ

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I think I am going to have them put in. I know I could install them but with the possible strut issues I have read I am thinking of having the dealership install them. I am going to find out what is covered under warranty before I do though. They want $340.00 just for the install. That comes with an alignment. It is a lot of money but it may be worth it in the long run if I do have a problem.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Well I think I am going to have them put in. I know I could install them but with the possible strut issues I have read I am thinking of having the dealership install them. I am going to find out what is covered under warranty before I do though. They want 0.00 just for the install. That comes with an alignment. It is a lot of money but it may be worth it in the long run if I do have a problem.
Wow to that. Many dealerships here will warranty as long as you have the install receipt from a reputable shop.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just don't want an issue with the dealership if I blow a strut or something else. If I have it installed at a reputable shop even I know the dealership will give me a hard time. I never had good luck with Service deptartments in the past. One time I had a steering pump go in my truck. I called and couldn't get an appointment for a week. By the time I got into the dealership the mileage was over the warranty. The didn't want to cover me. I said I called before the mileage was over. Needless to say it went all the way up to corporate.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Got a story for you from yesterday. I brought in the 350Z yesterday for the TPMS. All pressures at 35psi. ( I checked) The last time this happened same symptoms tire press ok... blow out on highway.
So yeah replaced tires so same thing, I decide to bring it back since I replaced the tires it has to be some mechanical prob. rim tolerances inside maybe? Tire wear externally was ok. Anyways they said. Its a tire problem bring it to the tire place. we checked everything. I was like ok... What did you check? No answer... So I answer. Did you remove the tire to see the TPMS? Because I know the pressure was at 35 wasn't it? Yes... So how did you check to see if the sensor was ok if you didn't remove the wheel? x-ray vision? No answer... we will check tomorrow... I was like WTF????

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I get so sick of the bs "get you in and kick you out the door without doing the work properly" mentality that seems to permeate the automotive service industry. Most shops, especially dealerships, just kick you out the door after taking your money, passing the buck to another shop without proper diagnosis. I don't see how this has become the norm. It makes me sick.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've mentioned this a bit before, and now I don't know if I even have the same shocks as you guys, but I was told that if I wanted to install the pinks with my stock shocks, it was fine if I could keep the car below a max speed of something stupid like 120 km/h or something. This was because it was supposed to handle wierd over bumps and such at anything faster than that, bouncy? and just plain dangerous, according to the (ultra cautious but really quite knowledgeable) Japanese tuning community. Please take note I am Not talking about speed bumps here.

Don't know but I do know they're not the type of people who would say stuff like that to squeeze me for a more expensive series of suspension mods, but the plan to actually improve handling for aggressive driving - stability, roll etc - was pretty steep so I decided to hold off...

These guys are serious performance tuners that deal with nothing but Subaru Imprezas or Legacys. They didn't try to talk me out of it or anything, but I could sense they were thinking something along the lines of, "Aww, isn't that cute... Foreign guy with Impreza wants to look cool with lowered car... "

If this means anything, the people at the real Subaru dealership tried to talk me out of it more directly. They just said "don't do it" and gave me a bunch of stuff about the warranty blah blah blah that I couldn't totally understand.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn, after reading that I may hold off for more information........

·
Registered
574 Posts
...[said] it was fine if I could keep the car below a max speed of something stupid like 120 km/h or something. This was because it was supposed to handle wierd over bumps and such at anything faster than that...

120kph is only 74mph. That's not even the legal highway speed limit on many freeways. I wouldn't think Subaru would release a set of springs that were "Specifically tuned for street performance" and "Specifically manufactured for the WRX" (Subaru's words, not mine) that were inherently unstable above 74 mph.

Many people would have crashed by now if the max safe speed with these was 74mph... ;)

Are you sure they didn't mean 120 mph? Something doesn't sound right...

SJ

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Pinks have worked pretty good at well above the 74mph mentioned, for me. I had heard about pogo stick handling, but did not experience it at all myself. If anything, it seemed more stable, not less.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts