Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have an impreza NA and I'm thinking about buying some sti springs, my question is will I experience better handling proformance with just replacing the springs and not the shocks?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i think most of us who got the STi springs are really satisfied of the difference and also the price, 158$.. you cant beat that !

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
we are still up in the air on to what is the cuase of this issue. a few of us are working with local dealers to try and figure out why and how.

So far there are a few speculations as to why but there by no means a true cause yet.

1: use of vice grips apon install of struts.
2: stock struts have diffrent tolirances and the lower stiffer pinks are causeing them to blow.
3: cheapo stock struts are just garbage.

·
Registered
369 Posts
To the OP, nobody offers aftermarket shocks yet, so it's either just the springs or a full on coilover setup.

In other news, my replacement rear struts shipped today :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Haha, I so hope it was the vice grips. I really can't afford another set! I can't wait though. These rear struts are making emergency maneuvers extremely scary since the backend is so unpredictable.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
How much are the OEM struts costing? I think one, if not both rear end struts might be gone. I didn't use vice grips on the fronts, just rears, so I think that might be my issue.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
air getting into the struts is another possible cause of the strut failture. There is a thread around somewhere about how to check a strut for air and remove the air if present. Even if you didn't use vice grips, it's possible that this caused the failure.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
From what I have been reading, it could be that Subaru went with really low quality struts. People are having too many different issues for it to be one or the other. I'll get mine checked this week, and probably have to go back to factory springs or something else until they come out with new struts.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
aren't they bilstein? I can't remember from when I was doing the work but they don't seem too cheap...

if you have an NA impreza, you probably don't have a rear anti-sway bar at all. I would recommend getting at least the one off of the WRX if not a RalliTek or better set of bars... without them your springs will be stiff but the car will still roll really bad.

·
Registered
369 Posts
2 rear struts shipped from SGP cost me $197. I'm almost at the point where I might pay the dealership to install the rears so that if it does go bad, it's their ass who's responsible. I could do a flawless install but I'm afraid that they would look for any excuse.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes.

Then again, nothing is officially on paper so I could always go to another dealership. The house I'm buying in the next month is a convenient 9-iron shot to the Subaru dealership.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I wonder if I can get mine replaced for free. I installed the shocks the first time myself. Then I found out they gave me the Legacy springs. So I had to get them re-installed, by a Subie dealership. So if my struts are blown, I think it should be warrantied. If not I can surely raise some hell, and then probably have to pay for it anyways!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts