Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am still looking for a good data logger... I have tried

ECU Explorer - I got it to connect once but it froze the application and would not connect again.
Engunity - Never got it to connect. (by the way there engunity.org has put up a new website www.romraider.com)

Is there anything else out there that people have had success with an 08... Both applications have had some luck with other model years but not the 08... I am pretty proficient with a computer and I have a decent laptop. Just not able to get a reliable connection.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Re: Still looking for a good Data Logger???

from what I've been told, nothing is compatible yet because it is all new this year... I'm not really into much but basic modding so I'm sorry I'm not more help...

hope to get more into this stuff.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I met with a road tuner the other day... he had Cobbs Pro Tuner software... Worked like a charm. Even a wideband o2 sensor, that he hooked up to the tail pipe... He!! of a set up. I was impressed. He had to jump through alot of hoops to get that set up. But then again that is his living. I would like to see the street tuner comeout for the 08's... That would be cool.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Bump for a Data Logger.... Anyone???

·
Registered
421 Posts

Flashing your ECU with ECUTek will allow ur lap top to be a datalogger, and to tune ur car.

But the ECUTek licence doesn't come cheap.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am not willing to spend that kind of cash just for a logger. When Cobb releases AccessTuner I am all over it. In the mean time I have been looking at getting a Tactrix Cable and using RomRaider or Innovate but no luck ... ::)

Is seems like there has to be something out there...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Bump, anything yet?
Oh that is right I did start this thread, Thanks for reminding me. ;D I have figured out how to get Data Logs and I have been logging... But I am still in the process of setting up the best "Logging Profile" . I will create a write up on what steps I taken so far and post it hopefully this morning…
Thanks again!

·
Registered
344 Posts

^^ Yes please do :D Does Tactrix Cable and using RomRaider work?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a Data Logger!!!

This is what I have figured out – YES logging through RomRaider with a Tactrix WORKS…

1st, obviously you need a laptop with a good battery, or a way to plug it into the 12v adapter in your car…

2nd, I did not find any support for the “Stock” AP OBDII cable. I did get the AP cable to link to my laptop once, but it froze my computer, and when I rebooted my laptop, I could not connect again. For me the AP OBDII cable did not work.

3rd After a lot of research I purchased a Tactrix cable. Tactrix offers 2 different set up for “Drive by wire” vehicles… one that will allow you to link to 08’s for $70.00 and one that will allow you to log basically any Subaru and even EVO’s for $91.00… I purchased the latter part of the two. If you do a little searching off the link below, you will find both versions.

http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=35

4th , I downloaded the RomRaider software and installed it. Installation is pretty basic and straight forward. Below is the link to download the software

http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/Download

5th you need to download the drivers for the Tactrix cable. Installation is pretty basic and straight forward. Below is the link to download the drivers

http://openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash

6th Instead of recreating the wheel FAQ # 9 & #10 (In the Link Below) Has Step by step instructions on how to set up and log with RomRaider, and trouble shooting instruction.

http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/RomRaiderFAQ#toc62

I have completed 2 different logging sessions (about 10 - 3rd Gear Pulls) with RomRaider.

Now it has not gone off completely with out a hitch. The first time I used RomRaider I set up a “Logging Profile.” I assumed that the software would save my setting and allow me to pull up the profile and log the same parameters that I saved. Seems reasonable… So I went out and completed 4 successful pulls.

The next day I when I started RomRaider again for the second logging session none of the parameters were listed in the logging window? The software said I was connected, but I had no parameters. Kind of strange, I had to completely uninstall RomRaider and start over, when I reinstalled I then could choose the parameters again. That sounds like an involved process, but took less than 5 min to complete the reinstall.

Since then I have not had the time to complete a 3rd logging session, so I am not sure the logging parameters issue will show up again or I might have to reinstall. Side note: You are not required to save a “logging profile”, by not saving the profile there is a good chance that there will not be an issue. On the other side every time you go to log, you will need to set up the parameters again, which is not really that big of a deal.

One thing I do have to mention… 3rd gear pulls… Obviously the car is in 3rd gear…
From 2000 RPM’s to 6500 RPM’s, redline… At redline you are now traveling at 95 – 100+ mph. Imagine you are trying to make sure you are logging (looking at the laptop), watching the RPM’s and controlling the car. IT IS DANGEROUS FOR YOU AND FOR OTHERS ON THE ROAD.

Make sure that the road you choose is straight, flat road and there is no other traffic around you. I found it takes at least 1.5 mi+ to safely complete a pull. That includes a run out area, so you don’t have to jump on the brakes right after the pull is complete. Oh yeah… look out for the COPS TOO

I am more than happy to answer any question that you might have...;D ;D ;D but I am still learning too.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Super. Thanks for doing all the legwork for me :p Can't wait to get some logs so I can figure out what the hell is going on haha. Do you hear that applause? :)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Super. Thanks for doing all the legwork for me :p Can't wait to get some logs so I can figure out what the hell is going on haha. Do you hear that applause? :)
Not a problem... That is what these forums are all about... Helping each other!!! Have fun - be careful! If you are so inclined to share, I would be interested to see your logs.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Sure np. I just ordered the cable so I'll have logs for you whenever I receive that, though I'm running stage 2 and severely underboosting... I would like to see the difference between the cars though.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
would this work if i just wanna see my live data?
Yes you can run one dashboard that puts your all logging parameters up on one screen, and see them in real time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
can you give me some steps on achieving this? I read all the faq's but we don't have that green test mode connector like the older styles so if you can gimme a run down on how exactly to read our cars.i would really appreciate it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
can you give me some steps on achieving this? I read all the faq's but we don't have that green test mode connector like the older styles so if you can gimme a run down on how exactly to read our cars.i would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Our car do not need the green test mode adapter... All that is needed is the tactrix cable. Do you a Tactrix Cable for an 08?

Without your laptop attached to the car you will not see the parameters that are available to us. In the bottom left hand corner of the data logging screen there are 3 options "Data" "Graph" & "Dashboard" The dashboard is the window that will show you live data. You do not have to "Log Data" to see "Live Data"

I copied and pasted the "Step by step" Directions below from this link http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/RomRaiderFAQ#toc62 . The one issue that I can see with the instructions below is, you need to make sure that your laptop recognizes the Tactrix cable and your cars ECU.

"Can you give me a step-by-step on how to log with RomRaider?

1. Turn on your laptop.
2. Connect the USB end of your tactrix cable to the laptop and the other end of the cable to the OBD-II port on your car (underneath the steering wheel).
3. Start RomRaider. Select Logger ? Launch Logger from the top menu.
4. In the logger’s Settings menu, make sure “Control File Logging with Defogger Switch” is selected.
5. Turn the ignition key to on or start the vehicle.
6. Choose the correct COM port for your tactrix cable from the drop down box in the upper left hand corner of the logger.
7. Select the parameters you wish to log in the left pane (the greater the number of parameters selected, the greater the sampling interval will be).
8. When you wish to log to a file, turn on the defogger. When you wish to end writing to that file, turn off the defogger. Each on/off sequence of the defogger will generate a separate file."

Unless you are going to capture data you do not need to do "step 4"

I hope that helps... Please let me know how it works for you

·
Registered
42 Posts
the cable has to be for a 08 wrx? I thought a obd2 to usb cable would work for any car. If thats the case, then no i do not have a specific one just for my car. Does that mean it isn't going to work? Im trying to read my a/f ratio myself if that is accomplish able with this program?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the cable has to be for a 08 wrx? I thought a obd2 to usb cable would work for any car. If thats the case, then no i do not have a specific one just for my car. Does that mean it isn't going to work? Im trying to read my a/f ratio myself if that is accomplish able with this program?
Is there an cable for the 08 WRX? Yes and no... Out of the research that I did, any OBD II cable should work, for just logging/Viewing situations but it is hit and miss at best. The AP Cable is an OBD II / USB Cable, and it worked for me once froze my computer and never worked again. I spent many hrs trying. ::) Since I purchased the current Tactrix cable, I have had no real problem.

Are you using any form of engine management? Which cable are you using? What kind of laptop, specifically what OS are you using? Which version of RomRaider or what logging software are you using?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts