Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have a basic bottom end wrx, and i was wondeirng if i would be able to hook up an amplifier and sub to the stock head unit? the reason i dont want to change the head unit right now, is cuz i was planning on just switching the amp and the sub over from my other car. let me know. thanks

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yeah its the same process as installing an Amp on an aftermarket radio. the only difference is that there probably wont be any RCA Cables. WHich means you'd have to get a RCA Converter. Basically that turns the Speaker wire into RCA that the AMP can read and in return sends the music to the speakers.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Confirmed there are no RCA pre outs. You need a line out converter to make it work. There's a ton of room behind the head unit so this would be a breeze.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if the Premium headunit would just plug right into the non-premium WRX? I know the premium h/u is higher power and powers more speakers, but could I take the stock premium h/u out and put it in my non premium WRX?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I think I saw somewhere that they have a different wiring harness and plugs on the back. Not sure though, you may be able to find a wiring diagram somewhere. I'm pretty sure you could make it work with a little soldering ;D

Honestly though, if you aren't planning on adding Subaru Ipod integration, XM, steering wheel controls, or OEM subwoofer, then I can't think of a really good reason to do this swap. You could get all those things aftermarket (except for the steering wheel controls) and in most cases they would probably work better.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think I saw somewhere that they have a different wiring harness and plugs on the back. Not sure though, you may be able to find a wiring diagram somewhere. I'm pretty sure you could make it work with a little soldering ;D

Honestly though, if you aren't planning on adding Subaru Ipod integration, XM, steering wheel controls, or OEM subwoofer, then I can't think of a really good reason to do this swap. You could get all those things aftermarket (except for the steering wheel controls) and in most cases they would probably work better.
I added steering wheel controls and the XM. And I'm thinking about the OEM 'woofer for a little hint of bass.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
A hint is pretty much what you get with the OEM sub. If you want plug and play for ~$200 it's a pretty good deal

·
Registered
327 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of the back of a premium h/u. I kinda remember what mine looks like from installing the XM. Anyone???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts