Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow I just noticed that at 22k kms my stock Bridgestones are shot. The center stripe is worn smooth and the tread at the edges is almost totally rounded. I rotated them once at around 17000 kms but they are DONE: I gotta replace them before the snow starts. My braking is already noticeably worse. My question is: Do AWD vehicles experience greater tire wear than 2WD vehicles or are the stockers just that lousy in terms of tread wear? (in addition to being lousy at just about everything else!)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Wow I just noticed that at 22k kms my stock Bridgestones are shot. The center stripe is worn smooth and the tread at the edges is almost totally rounded. I rotated them once at around 17000 kms but they are DONE: I gotta replace them before the snow starts. My braking is already noticeably worse. My question is: Do AWD vehicles experience greater tire wear than 2WD vehicles or are the stockers just that lousy in terms of tread wear? (in addition to being lousy at just about everything else!)
You just have too much fun with the car.
My tires last 7kmiles each set ;D
For the OEM Dunlops and Falken 615s
I don't even rotate them at all anymore. They wear evenly on all 4 corners because of super spirited driving. LOL!

·
Registered
954 Posts
get some toyo proxes 4, great tires and good price too

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
No awd won't really cause them to wear any faster. If anything the wear is more even than on a RWD or FWD car where one end receives the brunt of it. Just have an alignment done if you haven't already as a poor alignment can obviously cause increased/weird tire wear. I really need to get an alignment done this week as I will be driving back to IN in a couple weeks for thanksgiving, and I'd hate to see what 2k miles on the factory alignment would do to my pretty re960as's.

This sounds pretty typical of a lot of OEM tires though, especially cheapo tires (even if the price doesn't reflect it given that they are somewhat expensive) like the re92a's. I am not sure if I am going to rotate my tires yet. I really like the way cars feel when the tires are well worn in to each corner, assuming tread wear is somewhat even and not skewed heavily towards one end or the other.

I was always really annoyed with how the tires wore on the FWD cars I've had in the past. The fronts get chewed up really quickly, and the rears hardly see any wear at all, so rotation is a necessity if you like being able to do stuff like, go forward, and turn.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Dude, you going to IN soon?

I'll be driving next weekend to Richmond to visit a friend w/ a new baby. Do you go down 70 for most of the way? If you get further north (Like off 80) shoot me a PM. I live in the Quad Cities (between Iowa/Illinois on the Mississippi river), always happy to see another WRX'r out here!

joneSi

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Yah, a couple weeks. I usually take I70 as 17 hours is about all I can do in one shot, and I hate stopping at hotels on that drive. I80 adds a couple of hours I believe, and possibly having to drive through chicago is a pain. My grandmother lives in Burlington, kinda near you up there. Doubt you see many other subaru's up there, but such is life in the midwest.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yah, a couple weeks. I usually take I70 as 17 hours is about all I can do in one shot, and I hate stopping at hotels on that drive. I80 adds a couple of hours I believe, and possibly having to drive through chicago is a pain. My grandmother lives in Burlington, kinda near you up there. Doubt you see many other subaru's up there, but such is life in the midwest.
Awww...damn. Yeah "B-Town" (Burlington, LOL). Well if you get the wild hair to go further north, lemme know, I'll buy ya a beer. Just be careful driving afterwards :)

Either way, drive safe bro.
joneSi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts