Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find it, and I know people have done it. I was looking for anyones opinion that has straight pipe no muffler or resonator. I have a UR downpipe. Iam curious how loud is it at idle, acceleration, and highway. I am still waiting for SPT so I wanted a little something in the mean time. Thanks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it is catted. Just wanted a little something till the SPT came in. Was thinking that it would sound pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have a straight pipe with 2 cats and a resonator

if you were to take out one of the cats it would be resonable

but 100% PIPE would be way too loud for the street

keep in mind, rally cars sound good and are actually street legal (under 120db at full throttle)

here's mine:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lOeKjtOwmvk

all I did basically was remove the muffler and replace it with a pipe that follows the same path:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ohn__3b57bA

technically it's illegal (no muffler) BUT since it's still quiet, no one has given me crap about it

·
Registered
128 Posts
As long as you just replace the muffler, the resonator in the midpipe will keep it under control. My straight pipe has been on for a few months now. No complaints from anyone.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I am a little worried since the resonator is gone as is the stock down and mid pipe. All I have is one cat. I think I am going to disconnect the mufflers this evening just to see what the noise is like before I go get it done.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh by the way I am in the hoopty capitol of the world South Carolina. If you have 25 bucks and can pay the property tax you can register anything no matter the shape it is in here LOL. So breaking the law removing the mufflers is not that big of a concern just being too loud for my taste is.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
with your setup, you should be fine as long as you have something other than straight piping off the turbo

if it IS straight piping... try throwing a couple of THRUSH mufflers on the end (you have a sedan, right?)

they're cheap and will cover up a lot of the unwanted noise

but otherwise, if you run straight pipes... it's only loud if you're on it... so if anything it'll keep you off the turbo :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The downpipe I have has one cat, I took off the resonator about a week after I had the car. I will unhook the mufflers tonight and see what it sounds like. But yeah I have a sedan. I figured it would be an easy thing to do for a muffler shop since I am still waiting with no end in sight for my SPT exhaust. Once I get home I will check out the video you posted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts