Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stripped a stud on the drivers rear. Lucky it was just one. I know the fronts are east to replace.

But when we took the wheel off and started looking around in the rear it was obvious that it was not the same as the front.

I just need to get this one stud out so i can put a new one in. Is there a how-to? Or can anyone explain this please?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
How stripped is it? Could you run a dye down the threads and clean them up?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be able to just pull off the rotor and pound it out.
That what i thought. But its not that easy.

When we took the wheel off and took the caliper bracket off, you would think that it would just come off? Nope. So we then took of the center bolt where the axle is. Still nothing.

That when i said ok, lets look on the internet and see whats up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You should be able to just pull off the rotor and pound it out.
That what i thought. But its not that easy.

When we took the wheel off and took the caliper bracket off, you would think that it would just come off? Nope. So we then took of the center bolt where the axle is. Still nothing.

That when i said ok, lets look on the internet and see whats up.
Okay, if the rotor is "stuck" on you can thread a 8mm bolt into the threaded holes near the center of the rotor. These bolts will press the stuck rotor off. VERY important, make sure the parking brake is off.

If you do not have spare 8mm bolts. try working it with a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
the center nut is for the cv shaft. after taking the caliper off you can hit the flat of the hub section with a hammer and it should pop off may take a few swings and be very careful not to hit the studs. or if u have the tools you can do what i do at work and use a air hammer with a hammer bit and impact on the side of the hub section. im not sure how the setup is on these i have not taken the rear rotors off on my car yet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i dont know what your timeline is on this but if it would help i can throw my car up on a lift tomorrow and take it apart so i can be more accurate with my recommendation. let me know

·
Registered
16 Posts
What year? Older Suby's (not sure about impreza's/WRX's) had front E-Brakes, so it would need to be off if that applies. Also on the rear there is 1 space where the stud will pound completely out. You should NOT need to remove the CV joint/axle...

FYI... I stripped 4 lug studs on RR (2016 WRX). I was taking off my Winter Wheels... and learned that since the wheels were thinner where they bolt on, the lug nuts pushed against the very end of the stud pushing the first 1-2 threads over. To prevent future same issues, I bought wheel spacers (3mm thick). Alternatively you can buy longer/deeper lug nuts, but this was far cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts