Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I just did my first canyon run (with about 45 other subies) in my 08 Hatch and had a blast. I'm sitting on stock springs and noticed quite a bit of body roll in the curves. Coming from my tC which was sitting on s-techs and had a trd rear sway bar, my subie felt pretty top heavy entering the turns. my tC would stay locked in and I'm looking to mimic that in my subie.

So, forgive my noobness, I know going the front/rear sway bar route be legit, and lesson the body roll, but what advantage would a front strut brace provide if I decided to put one of those on? Someone said I should get a set of coilovers but I'm not wanting to do that quite yet, and I think I would benefit more from the sway bars and/or strut brace in the interim.

Looking forward to your feedback and advice.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sways.
Struts & Springs/coilovers
Strut bracing

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
sti springs and rallitek sways.it totally changes the handling.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
if your goal is improving handling and flattening out the ride, you won't notice much, if any improvement from the strut brace. I have a strut brace and I noticed absolutely zero difference, and I deal with some relatively hairy twisties where I live. People say that steering response is tightened up a bit, though I'm somewhat suspicious that most of these supposed results are imagined.

Stock 08 w/ strut bar: noticed no difference at all
08 w/ sways and strut bar: noticed no difference at all over sways and no strut bar
09 w/ strut bar: noticed no difference at all

I think chassis bracing is a good thing, especially if you have stiffened your suspension, though if the goal is to improve handling it's the wrong thing to spend your money on unless you are tracking your car or trying to compensate for the increased stress your other suspension mods might put on your chassis.

IMO your first step should be sways and tires. The stock 08 tires are terrible.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Sways over struts,

Got a front strut on there now... Not much of a difference...

Haha tomorrow I'll be talking about my coilovers which should be a different story...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the great replies and incite guys. looks like sways will be first up on the 'to-do' list.

i've been reading up on them and it seems like whiteline and perrin are pretty legit. for a daily driver who will be doing canyon runs about twice a month, do you think the middle setting on a rear sway with 3 settings would suffice? i suppsoe it is all subjective though.

i live in so. cal and am close to harmanmotive and they are having a huge sale, i saw this whiteline rear sway, only a 20mm and they are selling for $116.00 (price listed on the link is not the discounted one posted) http://www.harmanmotive.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_452_460_503&products_id=2286 should i also be looking at new end links due to the new rear sway?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Perrin tends, somewhat consistently, to have fitment issues with a lot of their suspension products, including some relatively minor fitment issues on the sways for the 08+ imprezas. I would go with whiteline if you want the adjustability or smaller difference in size front to rear (22mm/20mm whitelines vs the 22mm/19mm that is a more common size made by other companies), or rallitek if you just want a solid set of no frills sways. It's just better stuff.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
more great info, thanks chanke!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
08 WRX mid 4-wheel drift :eek:

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
08 WRX mid 4-wheel drift :eek:
^^That picture kills me. I want a shot from the other side to see that front left wheel, heh.

Actually, I never found the body roll on the 08's to be as terrible as people made it out to be. I mean there was definitely some, but as far as how easily it came on and how it affected driving, it was really a lot more stable than people made it out to be, especially if you just trust the car and ignore the somewhat slow reflexes. It really handled pretty well honestly. The primary thing I found that made the 08's handle worse was the fact that they dove and squatted pretty hard. The 09 definitely has less roll and squat/dive though. Pretty much the perfect suspension for a daily driver that is driven somewhat harder than normal. There's really nothing I can fault about it. I have the whiteline sways that I had on my 08, but I haven't installed them yet. The only reason I will install them is to neutralize the handling a little bit after I get around to getting a proper alignment if it still needs it.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
STi a "bit" better :p

2009 WRX :-\

2008 WRX :eek:

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

vs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts