Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This brought to you by the good folks at Nabisco...

"Subaru may pull its support from the World Rally Championship for 2009, joining Suzuki as yet another Japanese automaker planing to leave the series.

A report posted on the Finnish MTV3 network's website claims Subaru will no longer compete in the World Rally Championship in 2009. This is big news as Subaru developed much of its following and fan base by successful competing in the series with its iconic blue-and-yellow Imprezas.

If this report is correct, it would build on news earlier today of Suzuki pulling out of the WRC. Unlike Subaru, Suzuki was new to the series and therefore moving away from the series isn't as big of a deal.

Though companies like to have racing teams to show off their engineering prowess, in a bad economy it is sometimes the easiest thing to cut. This may explain why these reports are coming out so regularly. Of course, the WRC is introducing Spec-based rules for the future, but it may be too late for these two teams."

Sad day, discuss :'(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope it really is a rumor. They used the words 'may', 'if', and 'claims' which provides enough doubt for me to hold out hope....

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
No freakin way. This was totally their target market. WTH are tehy thinking if this is true ???

·
Registered
382 Posts
it's offical.... they are out. oh well... time to buy a car w/ a real rally heritage like a ford focus. NOT!
Dude, don't knock the Focus, unless you are talking about the current 2 year carry over. Sadly my Focus has treated me a lot better then my WRX has thus far.

·
Registered
382 Posts
cost cutting... to keep the company alive... if dun cut now, maybe will be too late... :( :'(
Perhaps. My belief its the darn rule makers with the new S2000 requirments for WRC. One of the rules is a inline 4, which I think we all know Subaru doesn't have. IMO They are just using the economic situation to bow out without having to say they refuse to develop a new engine for the series.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Requiring an I4 is uncalled for. I believe Subaru's H4 has won engine of the year a few times in the last 5 years....and the tranny from prodrive is about to win this year. It takes away from some of the possible innovations and forces everyone to think inside the box. Well, maybe not inside the box, but they made the box a lot smaller.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
it's offical.... they are out. oh well... time to buy a car w/ a real rally heritage like a ford focus. NOT!
Dude, don't knock the Focus, unless you are talking about the current 2 year carry over. Sadly my Focus has treated me a lot better then my WRX has thus far.
i have never and will never own a ford. also, i know that the north american focus is not the same car as the uk version. the north american car sucks balls.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
i have never and will never own a ford. also, i know that the north american focus is not the same car as the uk version. the north american car sucks balls.
The euro focus is the same platform as the mazda 3. Fun cars...I usually rent 'em (or the Peugeot 207 or 307) when I visit my wife parents and family in Spain.

joneSi

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
if they sold the C1 focus in the states, I would absolutely have one. It's fwd, but other than that it's a great car. I've heard rumblings of the new focus being brought over in the next few years. I don't know why they didn't do this sooner (other than trying to recoup costs for lost money on the current focus), as this is a car that would have actually bolstered North America's opinion of Ford as a brand, and of domestic cars in general. Instead they insisted on continuing to sell crappy cars and losing sales to foreign manufacturers just to make a quick buck. The Mondeo is cool too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts