Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 wrx with a downpipe, headers, a front mount intercooler, intake, boost controller, and a bypass valve that i installed on it and I have been getting it tuned for the past almost 2 months. the tunes have kept coming back with knock and we are on the 25 map at this point. My tuner has told me to do a smoke test to check for air leaks on the intake side and side so I bought the machine to do the smoke test. When I did the test the machine said it was building no pressure and I couldn’t see any smoke around the intercooler and intake all the way to the engine there was no smoke coming out. The issue I saw was when I went to check the oil level smoke came out when I pulled the dip stick out. I read that this might be because of the piston rings but I don’t know much about what could cause this or if it’s supposed to happen

·
Super Moderator
13 Posts
I have a 2017 wrx with a downpipe, headers, a front mount intercooler, intake, boost controller, and a bypass valve that i installed on it and I have been getting it tuned for the past almost 2 months. the tunes have kept coming back with knock and we are on the 25 map at this point. My tuner has told me to do a smoke test to check for air leaks on the intake side and side so I bought the machine to do the smoke test. When I did the test the machine said it was building no pressure and I couldn’t see any smoke around the intercooler and intake all the way to the engine there was no smoke coming out. The issue I saw was when I went to check the oil level smoke came out when I pulled the dip stick out. I read that this might be because of the piston rings but I don’t know much about what could cause this or if it’s supposed to happen
Unless You have a catch can for crankcase venting, there is a line that runs from the valve cover to the turbo inlet. This small line recirculates crankcase vapors back through the engine intake. Consequently, when doing a smoke test you will introduce a small amount of smoke back into the crankcase. Resulting in smoke coming out of the dipstick tube. Id say not a problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts