Registered
3,417 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Got my car finished today with the rear hatch repainted. 8) Sucks that a car not even a year old had to be painted but at least it's done. I will now claybar the rest of the car and keep an eye on the orange peel to avoid it getting worst like what happened this winter. ::)

also, some tid-bit info on that rear center chrome strip of the hatch/trunk that everyone loves so much. ;D Seems, there's a couple of bolts behind there that rust and bleed this rust down over the license plate lights. Subaru replaced these as well and say it's an issue they've come to notice. If you have such rusting in this area, get Subaru on it and get them replaced. ;)

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
did u get money for the diminished value of the car that comes with repainting it?

·
Registered
243 Posts
i have a white wrx sedan and my car is only 2 months old and i have several stone chips all over the hood of my car, there is one the size of a dime on the hood and one on the front bumper. im not really impressed as i can tell the paint is really thin and the front bumper looks like there is no primer under the paint because you can see the black bumper cover underneither the paint. my last car was 10yrs old and didnt have as many stone chips as my 2 month old car. im not impressed but i dont think subaru will repaint it anyway. so i might just buy a cf hood.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had my '09 OBS for about 11 months. I was so worried about the hood given the crappy paint I got a hood protector right after I bought it (flame suit on). Even that hasn't helped. I have numerous rock chips all over the hood.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Just stopped into the dealership with 35k on the clock. Apparently the manager has to approve my work and he was out so I'm going back tomorrow, but they seemed very willing to get it done for me. I have a good feeling theyre gonna repaint my doors/sideskirts/door jams on both sides. I'll take some pics before they take it in. They even told me I can choose the body shop if I want.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Figured it out.. Subaru figured we'd all be off roading or rallying anyways. ;D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Troa said:
Just stopped into the dealership with 35k on the clock. Apparently the manager has to approve my work and he was out so I'm going back tomorrow, but they seemed very willing to get it done for me. I have a good feeling theyre gonna repaint my doors/sideskirts/door jams on both sides. I'll take some pics before they take it in. They even told me I can choose the body shop if I want.

Good for you man! I fought for months with several dealers in Portland about those same areas before I finally decided to cut my losses and sell. I was losing soooo much paint on my DGM sedan going to Mt Hood in the winter that I had to get out of my loan while I was ahead. Good luck and best wishes. I know you've been dealing with this for a while as I remember our old posts and pics in this thread!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Anyone know if Subaru fixed the paint issues on the newer cars? I have an '08 I'm considering trading in on a '11, but not if the paint is going to be the same quality...

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
At 20,000 miles I can tell you it's honestly not any worse than any other new car, though all new cars are sprayed a little thin. The worse spot is right in front of the rear wheels, the 09+ has a plastic strip there that helps a lot. Mud flaps help a lot if you are an aggressive driver, but if you don't ever touch a gravel road you don't have anything to really worry about.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Rally armor.... Help so much. I have to agree with the post above. I don't see any issues or deficiencies with the paint compared to other brands. None the less I still opted for 5 years of the rust protection. I was told that they'd cover any bubbling or rusting and repaint. Even if it was caused by a stone chip or scratch. I'm sure they will find some reason to void my coverage... "sir your exhaust voids your paint coverage" or something crazy. Hahaha

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Subaru approved a repaint from the front of my rear doors to the rear quarter panels on both sides. Car's been gone almost 2 weeks now, it sucks!! Can't wait to get it back. I hope the new paint holds up a little better. In the process of getting mudflaps to keep it fresh longer this time.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have mudflaps (rally armor) since like 2 months in on the car and no doubt they have helped. But my hood has more rock chips then my focus which has 6X the miles on it driving in the same environment. I just don't want to get another subaru if its going to continue to be a problem.

Sounds like some of you with newer cars have not experienced the level of chipping the '08's have exhibited.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have an '09 and just debris from cars in front of me on the highway have DENTED my car, let alone the nice fatty chips that are there as well.. I've had rally armor for a 6 months or more and still get kick up on the rear wheel well (but I guess they don't help when you're on the throttle sideways ::) ) Still, I have lots to complain about in areas where it's just normal exposure and it's 16 months old in need of a new paint job. I would rather get a high quality paint job than trade in my rad ass car because of a few chips... that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
got my car back today, well at least while i drove it from the dealership back to the paint shop because of how shitty the work was. the whole repaint was extremely orange peeled, there were buff marks on my door, and my rear bumper was a different color than the quarterpanel. back to the shop til wednesday.....

261 - 280 of 323 Posts