Subaru WRX Forums banner

281 - 300 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
bummer... Tell that tool who did it to use ultra violet lights and stay there until it's uniform or he won't get paid, lol. Hope you got a loaner until then! I think I'm gonna drive my car into a chrome dip just to fix it all at once!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
well the car looks much better 2nd time around. im pretty pleased with the work. ill snap some pics soon. looks muuuuuuuch better than it did beforehand. got my mudflaps on now so hopefully it stays nice for awhile.

·
Registered
525 Posts
the mudflaps help a ton, but don't expect to be spinning out all over the place in dirt and rocks and not get chipped up again, lol. I proved that even when they're set to the furthest sticking out position you can still kick up crap that chips your car. Or, like the other day, when some minivan somehow launched a sideways projectile into the front passenger side of my car which this little whatever it was not only chipped the paint to the metal, but freakin dented it too!! :eek: It's ok, I didn't let him over after that since I almost broke a tooth gritting so hard when I heard that :p sometimes... Shit just happens. The first scratch was the hardest. And finally, long live long rides!

·
Registered
93 Posts
At 20,000 miles I can tell you it's honestly not any worse than any other new car, though all new cars are sprayed a little thin. The worse spot is right in front of the rear wheels, the 09+ has a plastic strip there that helps a lot. Mud flaps help a lot if you are an aggressive driver, but if you don't ever touch a gravel road you don't have anything to really worry about.
That plastic strip helps a ton, i'll pot pictures, but it's the only thing that kept paint on the drivers side of my car when i went into a gravel trap at the track ;) it got ground up a bit, but my paint is fine lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
One of the neighbor hood brats decided to prove how fast a raw egg will eat away the paint last night. I woke up with a half cooked egg streamed from the rear window all the way up to the front driver's side fender! Washed and waxed which made the spot where the "digestion" of my paint occurred very obvious :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
grahamr said:
That plastic strip helps a ton, i'll pot pictures, but it's the only thing that kept paint on the drivers side of my car when i went into a gravel trap at the track it got ground up a bit, but my paint is fine lol
Just handwashed the thing and I guess the strip helped, but my side looks "dirty" from the rocks. O well. Gravel and chips are better and cheaper to fix than hitting a wall... Lol

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
are those white specs chips or dirt?

·
Registered
396 Posts
greenc51 said:
Those are "chips"! I had a DGM sedan that had all that same damage and then some. My front bumper had also taken a beating and was heavily peppered white. It was from driving to Mt hood once a week in the winter.
There is a bulletin out to fix the rear doglegs on the 08's. Subaru were being assholes and wouldn't do anything for me so I sold it before it de-valued any more. I will have another Rex one day but only in silver or white.

·
Registered
93 Posts
greenc51 said:
Those are "chips"! I had a DGM sedan that had all that same damage and then some. My front bumper had also taken a beating and was heavily peppered white. It was from driving to Mt hood once a week in the winter.
There is a bulletin out to fix the rear doglegs on the 08's. Subaru were being assholes and wouldn't do anything for me so I sold it before it de-valued any more. I will have another Rex one day but only in silver or white.
yep, those are all chips,scuffs and scratches... it looks like its dirty from a distance.. then you touch it :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
i took my car to the local dealer today for the quarter panels. they took pictures and are sending them to SOA to get approval for warranty repair. then I can take it to a local body shop to have those area repaired and re painted.
i should know in a couple days what SOA says.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Anyone know if Subaru fixed the paint issues on the newer cars? I have an '08 I'm considering trading in on a '11, but not if the paint is going to be the same quality...

Thanks.
My friend brought home a new 2011. I laughed at him and told him to never take it out of the garage if he wanted to keep his paint. My 09 paint isn't great but it isn't horrible either. But I don't tailgate and don't go off road.

His 2011 has much larger 3M strips than the 09 behind the wheels and on the side skirts i know that for sure. But his orange peel is as obvious as the older years.

A buddy of mine was telling me about this product you can have done where it's basically like putting a clear enamal on your paint, making it bullet proof. I'll ask around and see. It's not that autoarmor stuff the dealerships push though it was different.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've shown two different service managers about the off dimpled sections of untouched paint that are just noticeable and not too unsightly. They confirm it should be fluid and identical on each panel. These particular ones don't have a scratch, where as the hood and side skirt areas as well as the rear wheel fenders have been attacked by gnomes with ice picks :mad: Even though acknowledgement of issues have been made (one on a hidden spy camcorder too just in case ;)), I'm still waiting for their "guy" who comes around to do the touch ups to fix some of this shit. I have my own touch up paint, but just covering dings with no clear coat sucks and just rubs off again in no time. I wish I had a counter for all the time I've spent at the dealership for stupid stuff like this... I'll post pics when I get around to taking them, lol.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
just clear vinyl the entire car
ftw

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is there any more information as to why this paint has been so horrible? Light spray, weak clear coat? My girlfriend's 1997 Mazda truck and my 1997 Tacoma have less paint chips on the hood than does my 09 WRX.

People hit bumps in the road and all the frozen hell stuck in the undercarriage comes flying out right onto my car at 80mph. I just shudder and cry inside. I am fortunate to have heated parking to thaw my ice chunks but most do not have that luxury. And you semi trucks- I hate you, keep your trailer wheels off the damn shoulders.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I had heard that our paint was soft but wow! :eek: There's three 200K miles '02 WRX's here and they don't look to bad?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just found a nice chip out of the tip of the hood today. It goes nicely with the chips all over the front end from little rocks besting the crappiest paint on a vehicle to date... Glad I've got some WRB pearl touch up but it just sucks to have to do it so often >.<

281 - 300 of 323 Posts