Subaru WRX Forums banner

301 - 320 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Wow looking at some of these pictures makes me wanna check my car out tommorow for rust in the wheel wells like some of u guys got, I know my side skirts, front bumper, and rear bumper needs painted but damn I didn't think subaru paint was this bad, we should have a group buy for a new free paint job from subaru lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
Every time I wash my car I'm reminded how crappy Subaru's paint is. My other car is 11 years old now and looks 5X better. Sigh... :)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
im hyper paranoid about my paint and am always checking it for chips or other things. when the car was new i got the clear bra, hood, headlights and fogs, this has helped a little but seems like every time a rock has hit the car it has hit between the panels... sigh oh well you can only do so much. the paint on some of the cars in the pictures of this thread look pretty bad im wondering if there are multiple plants that do painting? mine isnt bad but seems like on the bumpers there is no primer and all over the car the paint is thin as well as the clear. not trying to start a conspiracy about the subaru plants but it has got me wondering

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I brought mine in and showed a salesmen. Now granted I didn't really push the issue and it was a salesmen, not a service rep but he just laughed and said "yeah I've been seeing a lot of this but what can you expect paint chips on all vehicles."

So.......I just walked away and haven't brought up the issue with my dealership.

·
Registered
214 Posts
my paint is chipping in my passenger wheel well. should i go to a dealer? this sucks

·
Registered
525 Posts
I brought mine in and showed a salesmen. Now granted I didn't really push the issue and it was a salesmen, not a service rep but he just laughed and said "yeah I've been seeing a lot of this but what can you expect paint chips on all vehicles."

So.......I just walked away and haven't brought up the issue with my dealership.
Salesmen are usually uninformed and don't care about any issues unless they are getting some kind of commission on it... These paint issues need to be brought to the Service Manager, a person who can actually make decisions and get warranty work. There are quite a few folks around the country who have been blown off, and also quite a few who have had entire cars painted from warranty... Just depends on the person you are dealing with. Just have them go and look at the damage. If they don't think it'll fly, then take it to the next closest dealership ect, ect. If they're not writing up forms for you to sign then you don't have to worry about how many dealerships know you've been to other places before you came to them. Just a thought... I can't stand seeing them try to save a buck when you just bought a $30,000 car and it's literally falling apart...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Got a car wash today .

3k miles and 1 paint chip on the hood :-(

Its a lease- so nothing i can do .

My 08 satin white pearl wrx i returned with 4 or so paint chips and there was slight rust in those small chips...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got just under 6K on my '11 and it has a ton of chips already in the front bumper cover and quite a few on the hood. Not really too stoked to see what it's going to look like in a few more years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are 2012's still having these paint issues? I've wanted a WRX for a few years now, but this is holding me back. :(
Unfortunately that is one of the weak points on a wrx/sti. Like the cheap interior that rattles and creeks you either have to be prepared for it and accept it or buy a different brand. Of course all paint will chip if it's hit with rocks over time but the Subaru paint is thin so it chips very easy. The clear coat is also soft so expect scratches very easily with darker colors.

·
Registered
55 Posts
^ it sucks because everyone is talking about the inevitable rattles...so far i have none, but i freakin hate rattles. how long til things start rattling?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately that is one of the weak points on a wrx/sti. Like the cheap interior that rattles and creeks you either have to be prepared for it and accept it or buy a different brand. Of course all paint will chip if it's hit with rocks over time but the Subaru paint is thin so it chips very easy. The clear coat is also soft so expect scratches very easily with darker colors.
That sucks. It's the only thing keeping me from buying one. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
just washed my car today after months (its silver, so for the most part it always looks good), and i have paint chips EVERYWHERE...kinda scary lol

As for rattles, i have em all...Door, dash, somewhere in the Hatch area...i got a louder exhaust to ingore them all and all it did was make things rattle even more, so i just do my best to ignore it for now

301 - 320 of 323 Posts