Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wrecked my last car by the back end thinking it would continue round a curve ahead of my front end in the rain. ( NO I was NOT speeding ((Question asked by all my friends)) )

So I purchased a new 2009 WRX 5 Door to replace it.

They say that when a person has a bad experience, they tend to shy away from that experience again. Since my car spun out in the rain and contacted a barrier totaling it, I would perfer not to do that again.

I still have a very uneasy feeling when I go around curves and am cautious not to take them too fast. I have this constant feeling that my backend wants to break loose. What is suggested to easy my pain? I am assuming it is understear that I feel.

I am thinking a rear sway bar, but I don't know what size. Everyone suggests the STI pinks too, but Subaru's site says it does not work on the 2009s.

Suspension is not my forte, so please scooby school me.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
i don't know why you are wanting to upgrade your rear sway bar if you are worried about your rear end breaking loose. adding a larger rear sway bar will only increase the car's tendency to rotate, primarily when you are off the throttle. upsize the front bar in relation to the rear and you will increase understeer/reduce oversteer. upsize the rear bar in relation to the front bar and you will reduce understeer/increase oversteer.

If you are going to upgrade the rear sway bar, upgrade the front one too to keep it somewhat safer, though most sway bar combinations will still decrease understeer/increase oversteer in a lot of situations. The best first upgrade for the 09's imo is tires. not rotating your tires regularly, or rotating them only after a long time, can have the affect of one end having more traction than the other. If this is the front end your car will obviously be more prone to rotating when you don't want it to.

What kind of car did you wreck in?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was an xB (don't laugh (( I had it turboed at one point, did it myself in my driveway)))

I know the 09 came with a summer tire on it but I think they are new tires in general.

My xB had Yoko AVID TRZs on it that I loved, only thing was, I could get the back end on it to break loose all the time, sometimes when I didn't want, or when I wanted to do FWD doughnuts in the snow.

I just want to have the feeling that if I take an on-ramp at speed or go around a big curve at a higher then posted speed, that I won't rotate. Like I said, suspension is not my forte, but I am a learner so I am attempting to learn.

What would you suggest is the question. Mind you, I would like to track it come spring.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
You'll have trouble making the car rotate with the stock setup as it is really geared towards safety (understeer) in most all conditions. I understand your hesitance given your previous experience, but the stock setup is not such that you really have to worry about the rear end coming around during regular driving. I'm not saying it can't happen, because it obviously can, but it doesn't sound anything like what you experienced in your scion. I'd find somewhere SAFE to play with it just so you understand the differences between the cars, if only to put your mind at ease.

Any aftermarket sway bar combos will increase the tendency to rotate due to the sizing currently available, but not dangerously so, and definitely not such that it will rotate when you don't want it to. If you absolutely want to upgrade bars I would suggest something like rallitek bars, which are 22mm front and 19mm rear, which would flatten things out slightly more than they are already with the stock 09 setup, yet they wouldn't increase the understeer much at all.

I have whitelines that I had installed on my 08, and they increased the oversteer tendency enough that it was somewhat easy to kick the rear end out on demand when I'm not on the throttle, but not such that it ever happened unintentionally. I have yet to install them on the 09, but I expect similar results.

As far as the STI pinks, they are softer than the springs that are already on your car. I mean you could put em on your car if you want, but they won't really offer any handling improvements. Any other aftermarket springs out right now are also softer than your stock springs. Currently, the only real upgrade to the 09 springs/shocks is a full coilover setup.

I personally think the 09 suspension is just about perfect for a daily driver. I doubt I'll ever touch the shocks/springs, and I'm contemplating not using the whitelines (though I probably will).

My only real suggestion would be to definitely NOT use the stock tires in cold weather/snow.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
So I wrecked my last car by the back end thinking it would continue round a curve ahead of my front end in the rain. ( NO I was NOT speeding ((Question asked by all my friends)) )

So I purchased a new 2009 WRX 5 Door to replace it.

They say that when a person has a bad experience, they tend to shy away from that experience again. Since my car spun out in the rain and contacted a barrier totaling it, I would perfer not to do that again.

I still have a very uneasy feeling when I go around curves and am cautious not to take them too fast. I have this constant feeling that my backend wants to break loose. What is suggested to easy my pain? I am assuming it is understear that I feel.

I am thinking a rear sway bar, but I don't know what size. Everyone suggests the STI pinks too, but Subaru's site says it does not work on the 2009s.

Suspension is not my forte, so please scooby school me.
First, I would definitely get used to some car control techniques as the Subaru will handle most definitely differently from the Xb. The Xb had no rear power to give you additional rear traction and because of the light rear probably shifted the weight too fast in a low traction situation.
That being said practice first, and although the STi pinks will work, you will actually just be lowering the car and softening the suspension. The stock springs and dampers are stiffer and more balanced. Thicker rear sways as mentioned give additional over steer especially off-throttle and as it is your 09 set is thicker than the 08s.

Also, almost to repeat, compared to an Xb, the WRX is a traction monster. You will probably feel that it has too much traction and you might actually feel like you need it to break lose to turn the way you like.
Have fun and practice for now, until you actually feel that it has a weakness under a driving condition you experience with the WRX rather than basing a need on a car that is no comparison.

·
Registered
298 Posts
some things you can do..
get some better tires that handle the rain better
always leave the traction control on and you shouldn't have any problem with the rear end coming around
you could try a larger front sway bar to induce more understeer, but since you may have unexpected results since the rear sway doesn't at all
the pinks have a softer spring rate than stock, don't bother with anything like that ;)
go to an autox and learn how your car acts at the limit in a controlled environment

·
Registered
18 Posts
x2 on everything already said here.

What most people dont understand is the limitations of their car. There are so many people out there that just buy larger sway bars and springs w/out even a thought of what they are doing to the car. They drop in coilovers w/out proper setup; if they spent the $$ on a driving course they could not only will become safer/better drivers, you will more likey get your car to perform better stock than you ever could with any aftermarket suspention mods.

That said 90% of factory cars out there are setup from the factory to understeer. This is for the general saftey of the puplic. Ususally getting a rear sway bar 1-2mm larger than stock will get the car into a more neutral handling. Much better IMO. The big issue I have with aftermaket is that they avertise bigger is better. You find kids going from a 16mm rear sway bar to a 28mm and induce so much oversteeer you become a danger to yourself and everyone else on the road.

Trust me, take the $$ you plan on spending on suspention and take a performance driving course. That is the best way to get the most out of your car and is hell of a blast to go to.

Another thing to try is to find a large parking area to practice on. I work nights and my place has a large enpty parking lot. Just do a couple of laps around at progressivly higher speeds and tighter turns. Get the feel on how the car reacts to your inputs and driving style. Realize that with differnt tires the car will react differntly. I also do this all the time in the snow. It gives you practice in braking and handling in snowy conditions that you have not driven in for 6-8 months. This will make you a better winter driver too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1 to the autocross!

Don't mod your car yet. Learn what your car wants to do first before you throw mods at it.

Get into autocross. Run in D-Stock class with the Street Tire index for a little while. Drive your car hard in a safe environment and learn what you have to do to get it to spin.. and then learn what you have to do to get it on the edge of spinning.. without actually spinning. Confront your fear.

As for your fears.. don't worry, the stability control (DSC) will keep the rear end from coming around on you. :D ;)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
+1 to the autocross!

Don't mod your car yet. Learn what your car wants to do first before you throw mods at it.

Get into autocross. Run in D-Stock class with the Street Tire index for a little while. Drive your car hard in a safe environment and learn what you have to do to get it to spin.. and then learn what you have to do to get it on the edge of spinning.. without actually spinning. Confront your fear.

As for your fears.. don't worry, the stability control (DSC) will keep the rear end from coming around on you. :D ;)

it will, just don't rely on it to make up for all your mistakes and inadvertently turn yourself into a worse driver. stability control can only make up for so much, and relying on it is a recipe for disaster. It's essentially your last line of defense in normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It was an xB (don't laugh (( I had it turboed at one point, did it myself in my driveway)))
My .02,

This might be a subaru board, but a lot of us are car guys/gals. I like a lot of cars that might surprise a few here...

But I think you might be surprised to know that a lot of us are fans of the 'econoboxes' (lol, lack of a better word for the xB but also the class of car)...I for one test-drove the original xB and Honda Fit before buying my previous car (Toyota Matrix... which was a bad idea for me). I thought at the time the xB and the Fit were fantastically fun cars for the $.

Sorry for the off topic, just wanted to make sure you know we aren't all "SUBARU OR DIE" here.

Though the truth that is universally known is "SUBARU FTW!" ;)

joneSi

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to X-Cross my 09, but its kinda cold for that. I just was curious because I want to cross it but I want a good daily driver. I used to take the xB out and try and break it loose, I could do a slight slide of the backend around corners and circles. Nothing like doing doughnuts in a front wheel drive.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would like to X-Cross my 09, but its kinda cold for that. I just was curious because I want to cross it but I want a good daily driver. I used to take the xB out and try and break it loose, I could do a slight slide of the backend around corners and circles. Nothing like doing doughnuts in a front wheel drive.
run d stock in a street tire index and there you go. daily driver that's competitive at autox and you don't ever need to change wheels. that's what i do. all i have is an exhaust (and summer wheels/tires).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts