Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All....newb here.

I just picked up a 2018 WRX Premium and the only thing that drives me nuts is the lack of real "sound" from the exhaust. I'm 53, so I am not looking for the tin can sound, just something that emphasizes the downshift, and acceleration.

Since this is a lease, I don't want to invest in a complete catback system, I use that money on my muscle car...lol.

Are there any "bolt-on", improved sounding mufflers.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can try a Magnaflow muffler, they sound really good and not too expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Borla axle backs on my car. I think they have a nice low tone without really drawing much attention.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Actually, since it's a lease, a bolt-on axleback is probably your best bet. You should be able to swap it out in about 30 minutes. I'm not sure if Subaru makes an SPT catback or axleback for your car, but they're generally quieter than the majority of aftermarket exhausts. Expensive, though.
Another option: Measure your stock mufflers and buy a set of Magnaflows approx the same diameter and length (generally, the larger/longer the muffler, the quieter is is). A local muffler shop should be able to add flanges to mount them up to your stock exhaust for around $100 or so.
FWIW - I swapped out a muffler that got progressively louder and more obnoxious on an aftermarket catback exhaust with a comparably size magnaflow on my '09 hatch. Now I'm very pleased with the sound - just a bit of aggression without being obtrusive (I'm 51).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also 53 so probably had the same concerns as you. I had a '16 WRX Limited. I went with Nameless axle back with 5" muffler and 3 1/2" double wall, quad tips. Somewhere in the range of $650. This is a great sounding setup. No drone at highway speeds. You can't even hear it. You can keep it pretty quiet on acceleration if you're careful. But it will get everyone's attention when you let it loose. Deep sound, not ratty at all. Rumble, what you want. With proper technique, it will backfire at will (which my kids loved, and the kid in me did too). Nameless is also top notch quality. The only thing I would do different is forego the double wall tips. They look great when clean but carbon up in about 2 days and look like regular tips. Easy to clean, but you have to do it every other day. Save yourself $150 and get the 3 1/2" single wall. I have an 07 hawkeye too. It is a single exhaust, and different engine, but I thought I might share my experience with other mfrs. I first had an Invidia N1 axle back on it. Great sound. Loud and deep, but would not backfire like the '16 w/Nameless. The Invidia with titanium tip looked too boy-racer for me, which is why I got rid of it. I replaced it with a Perrin system. Perrin is not as loud, but probably has a deeper sound (think V8 or Harley sound). Much better tone than the Invidia, but I wish it was a little bit louder. I like that the Perrin looks closer to a stock muffler than Invidia. All three really good quality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts