Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm starting to look at wheels and, since i'm new to all of this, i thought i'd ask y'all for suggestions. I have a silver 5dr and i'm looking for a good set of black 5 or 7 spoke wheels with a machined lip. Don't know much about what makes a good wheel a good wheel...other than appearance ;) so, if anyone has any suggestions, i'm all ears.

thanks
-b

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have prodrive p1s that are black powdercoat

for cool points, i'd suggest getting a wheel that doesn't come in black, and get it painted/powdercoated to black...gives you a rare wheel and extra style points for people that recognize the wheel.

FYI, get forged wheels painted, get cast wheels powdercoated.

Powdercoating can weaken forged wheels and cause them to bend

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
which size are you looking for and how much budget do you have for the set of wheels (excluding tires) ??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no set budget yet, just starting to look. as far as size goes, i'd probably hang at 17...but could maybe be persuaded to go to an 18

·
Registered
421 Posts
Think about what u want.

If you're gonna be tracking your car, get a 17"

If you're gonna go the cosmetic route, get a 18" or even 20". it'll look awesome with a 20"

and think about the cost for maintance. from 18" on wards, its becomes about 66% more costly to get tyres.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my wrx is my daily driver. i plan to hit the track from time to time, when work doesn't get in the way, but it's primary job right now is to get me from point a to point b. so, let say that i'm hanging with 17's. never been big into "pimping my ride" just so it looked "better"...i like for my mods to be as functional as they are hot.

rallyshark, thanks for the info...that's some good stuff to know. i poked around online and found a pic of your wheels...noice...few more spokes than i'm looking for, but they're still tasty. while i was looking for pics of your wheel i came across a wheel that i like...but it doesn't fit the wrx...but something like this is what i'm looking for...but with black spokes and a machined/silver lip:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/prodrive-gc05f-silver-5x1143-46mm-p-2121.html

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have prodrive p1s that are black powdercoat

for cool points, i'd suggest getting a wheel that doesn't come in black, and get it painted/powdercoated to black...gives you a rare wheel and extra style points for people that recognize the wheel.

FYI, get forged wheels painted, get cast wheels powdercoated.

Powdercoating can weaken forged wheels and cause them to bend
friend of mine gave me his stock 16" wheels from his '02 wrx and i was wondering, are those cast or forged...i'd guess cast...but if i knew i wouldn't be asking ;) i was thinking about getting those done up black and using them as my winter wheels.

a pic of the wheels can be found here:
http://www.alhexehla.com/wrx/wrx10.jpg

thanks
-b

·
Registered
24 Posts
Motegi Trak Lights - these don't have a machined lip, but are very nice wheels. I just put a set on my red 08 hatch. They are on special at tire rack for just over $200 each - for 19" forged wheels that is a real deal.

Dan P

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, the trak lights are sweet...was looking at those too. 19" is a little big...trying to stay at 18 or lower...will probably end up with a 16 or 17

-b

1 - 13 of 13 Posts