Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to do suspension next and this is what I have planned so far. Just want some C&C and what would be better and stuff..

RalliTEK Front/Rear Sway Bar Set
- AVO Front Endlinks
- RalliTEK Rear Endlinks
Eibach Springs
Cusco Front Strut Bar

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Chris,

I have Cusco 2 Zero E coil-overs and I just had Cobb's new sway front and rear sway bars installed. I was interested to learn that the shop didn't recommend after market end links. Said they weren't needed and they also said that the front strut brace didn't help either. I told them "who cares, that Cusco strut brace looks to cool under the hood". Anyway, these guys build serious Subaru rally cars, so they should know more than most. I am really pleased with the sway bars. The difference isn't huge, but it is definately noticeable. The car corners flat and steers where you point it. The difference between my setup and stock is night and day performance wise, although I must say that stock was pretty nice on a long drive from Vancouver to Palm Springs. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So far the stock end links are working fine with the Cobb front and rear sway bars. I was told by "experts" that I didn't need after market end links.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I used the rallitek rear endlink with Cobb rear sway, the endlinks work well so far. I have the whileline endlinks for the front, the fit is perfect so I am changing to the whiteline rears when I can.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I can't say I agree that the front tower brace does nothing...I could tell a difference when I went from stock to only having the front brace. No other mods to also influence the feel of the car.

It wasn't a huge difference, but it was noticeable. It seemed "tighter" than stock.

I can't comment on the endlinks...I've always swapped endlinks when buying upgraded sways...i've never been disappointed with aftermarket endlinks though and I've been using perrin's for over 5 years on different imprezas.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The front strut bar isn't a drastic difference like larger sway bars are but you sill feel a difference in your turn in response. I know I did.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't know if I agree about the end links. Bigger sways = bigger loads on the endlinks and the OEMs are just spun welded together! There has also been posts about endlink issues in the past. I am very happy with the whitelines, just my 2c worth. ;D

·
Registered
298 Posts
I can't comment on the endlinks...I've always swapped endlinks when buying upgraded sways...i've never been disappointed with aftermarket endlinks though and I've been using perrin's for over 5 years on different imprezas.
i got aftermarket end links on my 350z because the stock ones occasionally break with big sway bars (which i had) and i've had nothing but problems since, well, with the fronts, the rears have worked perfectly. but one of the bolts in the front snapped in half going up a driveway, so that was fun. and they kept coming loose quickly at the recommended torque spec (40 ft-lbs), so i now have them torqued to 100 ft-lbs with threadlocker and occasionally have to tighten them still.. here's the broken one:

the maker was SPL Parts which makes some pretty high quality suspension stuff (for nissans).

anyway.. my point to the whole story.. is that sometimes it's better to not swap out oem stuff unless you have to because the oem stuff is often less likely to break. personally, unless you know of several cases of breakage, i would probably stick with stock end links and if they break, they break. they're cheap to replace and you then know you need aftermarket endlinks.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
i got aftermarket end links on my 350z because the stock ones occasionally break with big sway bars (which i had) and i've had nothing but problems since, well, with the fronts, the rears have worked perfectly. but one of the bolts in the front snapped in half going up a driveway, so that was fun. and they kept coming loose quickly at the recommended torque spec (40 ft-lbs), so i now have them torqued to 100 ft-lbs with threadlocker and occasionally have to tighten them still.. here's the broken one:

the maker was SPL Parts which makes some pretty high quality suspension stuff (for nissans).

anyway.. my point to the whole story.. is that sometimes it's better to not swap out oem stuff unless you have to because the oem stuff is often less likely to break. personally, unless you know of several cases of breakage, i would probably stick with stock end links and if they break, they break. they're cheap to replace and you then know you need aftermarket endlinks.
What grade bolt is that? My untrained eye thinks it looks like a low quality bolt...it's quite possible i'm wrong though, I'm not a bolt expert....i mean, it's not the yellowish color like a grade 8 or so.

·
Registered
298 Posts
it's a class 8.8 which is a grade 5 or between grade 5 and grade 8. it should be strong enough for this. and i believe bolts that are too stiff like grade 8/class 10.9 tend to have a slightly lower sheering strength which is what happened to this bolt. it may have been a bad bolt too as i replaced it with a class 8.8 and it's been doing fine.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
it's a class 8.8 which is a grade 5 or between grade 5 and grade 8. it should be strong enough for this. and i believe bolts that are too stiff like grade 8/class 10.9 tend to have a slightly lower sheering strength which is what happened to this bolt. it may have been a bad bolt too as i replaced it with a class 8.8 and it's been doing fine.
Yeah, it's possible it was just a bad bolt. My perrin endlinks have grade 8 bolts, and I've never had a problem with them on 3 different imprezas. Hopefully the won't break on my new impreza, knock on wood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts