Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear info from every one who has put on new swaybars. I'm curious to every ones review to their aftermarket solution!
Please use this set up so every one can read and understand everything properly! I know on older models some people say having to big of bars can create over/understeer. I am going to keep this topic clean and if information is presented in any other way I'll delete it (or modify it to make it easier to read).

Front, Rear, Both:

Manufacturer:

Front Size:

Rear Size:

Benefits:

Concerns:

Other Info:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Front, Rear, Both: Both

Manufacturer: Cobb

Front Size: 25 mm, hollow

Rear Size: 25 mm, adjustable

Benefits: The car is now much tighter all around. Although not dramatic, the change in cornering is definately noticeable. Almost no roll and it goes where it is steered. No noise, just flat cornering.

Concerns: None

Other Info: Cusco 2 Zero coil-overs and 225 40 18 Toyo Proxes, Group N engine and transmission mounts and Cobb shifter bushings to go with the STi short shifter.

(Note from Snw: Please find out Front/Rear Size and Update, Thank you)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rear Only

Manufacturer: Whiteline

Front Size: N/A

Rear Size: 22mm adjustable

Benefits: it plants the car to road very happy, and im still on the softest setting

Concerns: the main bolts attached to the frame were incredibly tight so be prepared with a impact wrench or equivalent ;)

Other Info: it comes with swaybar mount support arms as pictured,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Front, Rear, Both:

Both

Manufacturer:

RalliTEK

Front Size:

22mm

Rear Size:

19mm

Benefits:

Car felt schizophrenic before. Even with pinks the car still bounced around corners. With the sways on everything feels much tighter and under control. I think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Retarded easy to install. Instant results for $270

Concerns:

0. The car should have come this way from the factory.

Other Info:

I have the stock endlinks on. Also running STi pinks.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Front, Rear, Both:

Manufacturer: Perrin

Front Size: 22mm adj. stiffest setting, perrin endlinks

Rear Size: 19mm adj. middle setting, rallitek endlinks

Benefits: Car is WAY more fun to drive, sticks to the road even with the crappy RE92s

Concerns: The perrin front bar hits my cat-pipe and causing an awfully noisy rattling/vibration. (This is only a problem on the 2.5i, as the WRX/STI exhaust is different) I will be modding the cat section or header to clear the sway bar.

Other Info: I also have STI pinks/cusco tower brace and the combo of the sways/brace and the pinks is just freakin amazing!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

Front Size: 22mm fixed (non-adjustable)

Rear Size: 20mm fixed (non-adjustable)

Benefits: Significantly reduced body roll. About as neutral of handling that you would want on a car like this. Quicker turn-in. Car feels more tossable.

Concerns: May increase tendency for rear end to come out in slick conditions. May increase ride harshness in bumpy winter snowpack conditions. Whiteline endlinks may be high maintenance (require frequent regreasing and cleaning) in winter conditions due to the somewhat increased exposure of the spherical bearings compared to other endlinks.

Other Info: Used with whiteline adjustable endlinks. Stock springs/struts. Purchased from Harman Motive. Whiteline also makes an adjustable set, but I have no intention of adjusting mine so I just got the fixed to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
988 Posts

Front Size: 25mm ( adjustable )

Rear Size: 22mm ( adjustable )

Benefits: Significantly reduced body roll. Quicker turn-in. Car feels really tight in the corners.

Concerns: I would only use Whiteline endlinks in the front.

Other Info:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Benefits:

Car felt schizophrenic before. Even with pinks the car still bounced around corners. With the sways on everything feels much tighter and under control. I think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Retarded easy to install. Instant results for 0

Concerns:

Other Info:

So with the sways upgrade, are the pinks really worth the hassle (PITA install, potential messed-up struts)?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Benefits:

Car felt schizophrenic before. Even with pinks the car still bounced around corners. With the sways on everything feels much tighter and under control. I think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Retarded easy to install. Instant results for 0

Concerns:

Other Info:

So with the sways upgrade, are the pinks really worth the hassle (PITA install, potential messed-up struts)?
From COBB times:
Sways alone net 2 sec time reduction
Springs alone net about 1.5 sec
Sways + springs 2.2 sec reduction.
Hassle and headache for .2 sec?
Your call.
Go for the 09 or STi setup

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Front, Rear, Both: Rear

Front Size: Stock

Rear Size: 20mm adjustable

Benefits: tighter overall feel in conjunction with springs, endlinks, front strut tower bar and rear bracket. Does not eliminate body roll, and everyone who says this setup does, they're full of it. LESS body roll, and very comfortable. May consider a FSB as long as the ride quality isn't greatly compromised.

Concerns: during the initial install I couldn't install the rear bracket and endlinks. So I went without the bracket and stock endlink. Honestly, I felt like the sway bar alone did absolutely nothing. Installed the springs, endlinks, and bracket all at the same time. Everything in together REDUCED not eliminated that feeling that I was driving a boat in water.

Other Info: Swift springs, whiteline rear endlinks, rear brackets that were included, & front tower strut bar are my suspension mods.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Front, Rear, Both: Front

Manufacturer: Cobb

Front Size: 25mm hollow

Rear Size: OEM

Benefits: More grip, quicker steering response, less shoulder wear on front tires, and less body roll.

Concerns: Massive understeer at the limit. No chance of oversteer without absolutely overdriving the car.

Other Info: Cobb makes a nice kit. The radius bushings/brackets have grease fittings. Lubing this bar will be a 5 minute rather than a half hour job. Using OEM endlinks it has been OEM quiet and the ride is still very acceptable. I would recommend this bar to anyone looking to improve the manners of their '08+ WRX.

----

Manufacturer: Cobb (f) /Whiteline (r)

Front Size: 25mm hollow

Rear Size: 22mm solid adjustable (middle setting)

Benefits: More neutral behavior near traction limit. Car continues to turn well after turn-in. The rear end will now step out in transitions at the autocross. My GF actually spun it out twice through a nasty slalom. Trends toward moderate understeer during steady-state cornering (as would be expected of a 50/50 AWD car).

Concerns: The inside rear wheel lifts off the pavement very easily when driving diagonally across humps (such as when crossing a sharp curb) or even when negotiating a 90deg turn onto a higher roadway. This means that you can't put the power down. I'm going to install the Whiteline braces that came with the bar soon, and while I'm at it I'll soften the rear bar and report back.

Other Info: Installed SPT Pink springs shortly before installing rear bar. The springs had a minimal effect on overall handling.. less dive and squat, yes, but no effect on turning balance. The included swaybar bracket braces are not legal for any SCCA Solo classes this side of Prepared.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Okay, I'll bite.

Front bar: Cobb 25mm hollow

Rear bar: Perrin 19mm solid with endlinks in middle hole.

Endlinks: Stock F/R

Also have SPT Strut Tower Brace.

First thing I did was the front bar. VERY noticeable improvement. Flatter cornering, better turn-in. MUCH more fun to drive.

Next was the rear bar. Flattened it out even more. Turn-in even sharper, but not nearly as dramatic as adding the front bar.

Then I added the strut tower brace. Tightened up the front end even more, and improved turn-in again.

Springs and shocks are still stock, including the alignment. I have run this setup in autocross (ESP class) a half-dozen times, on the stock crap RE92As. Handling was excellent. Very neutral in turns, with just a hint of drift. I was placing 1st or 2nd out of about 10-12 people at each event, only getting beat by a guy with an 02 WRX with race rubber. Now that I have some Kumho V710s on order, I'll be gunning for him when the new season starts on Jan 25th.

Future plans:

Waiting for the Koni sport shocks that Big Sky is motivating Koni to develop. I'll add those with the STI Pinks that have been in the garage for months. At that point, I will re-evaluate my swaybar situation to decide if I want to go with more front bar. I think the rear bar is just about perfect. I wouldn't want to try autocrossing with anything bigger.

Rob

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Front Bar: 22mm Rallitek

Rear Bar: 19mm Rallitek

Endlinks: Rallitek Front & Rear

Also Have: SPT Front Strut Tower Brace

Benefits: Car handles AMAZING, I can hold the gas completely down all the way around just about any corner with no problems. I would recommend the setup to anyone.

Concerns: None really, well going into my garage is a super steep spiral down underground (i live in a building in downtown seattle), and sometimes the car lurches a bit because one of the wheels looses traction. Probably not too good for the drivetrain :-\

Other Info: Had sways and endlinks installed by Rallitek the same time I got my intake and DP done.

Future Plans: SPT Pinks, SPT Lower Chasis Brace

·
Registered
651 Posts
Front, Rear, Both: front

Front Size: 24/26mm (set on 24mm currently)

Rear Size: oe 16mm

Benefits: fit and finish is very good (I've owned 6-8 different WL bars :)), it took me several years to be convinced of the benefit of a big front bar for the Impreza- the 09 is no different I'm going to be running D Stock class next season so no change to the rear bar If I was running another class I'd bump the rear bar up to 18-20mm in all likelihood

Running the bar w/ a custom set of adj spherical sway links, the rest of the suspension is stock

I have a little test area and no surprise the addition of the front bar aided turn in, fast transition stuff it's much more capable as well

Concerns: not a big fan of poly bushings, I'm sure they will need re-greasing at some point

Other Info: I also have a custom 29mm solid front bar that I'm going to give a go in the spring- the bar is huge :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Time to contribute now that I've had my work done.

Front Size: 22mm, max stiffness

Rear Size: 19mm, max stiffness

Benefits: Car finally feels planted

Concerns: Was worried about endlink noise, so stuck with stock endlinks which dulls the effect of the bar somewhat.

Other Info: STI pinks installed at same time, no way to diff the pinks vs pinks + sways. Overall very happy with change in car, no longer feels floaty.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Benefits:

Concerns:

Other Info:

From what I hear, everyone is blowing struts by using a pair of vice-grips. I just did springs a few weeks ago and found its actually quite simple to do it the right way. On the top of the dampner there is an alan key hole, that holds it in place instead of using the vice grips and then you use a box wrench that has a double bent head on it so you can take the nut off. If you dont have one of those wrenches I'd imagine you can use a socket and put the vice-grips on that and put the alan key in the hole of the socket. Alot easier and probably better than the alternative of maybe blowing out your strut

·
Registered
949 Posts
I dont mean to hijack this thread but just a quick question. Does anybody know if the RalliTEK swaybars fit the WRX Sedan or are they made for just the 5 door? Cause I know COBB's swaybar kit says 5 door only.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts