Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these? Moderate lowering, 1" on 5dr, and probably still comfy ride. I'm a little leery of 1.5 to 2" drop and the ride from most of the other offerings.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm running these springs. Drop looks great and is stiffened up proportionately. Still has the OEM comfort but less body roll and squat when accelerating/braking.

I'd recommend them. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jotun, Thanks for the reply. Do you have a picture of a before & after sideview so we can see how much better it looks? So the ride did not suffer much, bumps are still smoother than STi or Evo X ? Did the drop seem to be what Swift spec'd, about an inch?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Jotun, Thanks for the reply. Do you have a picture of a before & after sideview so we can see how much better it looks? So the ride did not suffer much, bumps are still smoother than STi or Evo X ? Did the drop seem to be what Swift spec'd, about an inch?
I've been meaning to get around to taking a pic of "after" so this is a good excuse, lol. I will try to get that soon.

The ride doesn't suffer at all, it's all around better, but the important thing is it's still comfortable.

I've never had a ride in an STi or an Evo, but on my previous car I had (2.5RS) I had a suspension set up from a V7 STi with spring rates around 300F/250R and it was pretty bone jarring. Taking that into account, the Swifts are a pleasure to ride on, never harsh and absorb bumps very well.

The drop is pretty much what I was expecting, about an inch. If I HAD to pick something I didn't like, it would be that the rear seems a little "saggy" compared to the front (due to the larger wheel well in the front). I'm hoping the front settles a wee bit more.

Overall I'm really pleased with them. The main thing is the car looks waaaaay better, handles bumps better, is just as (or more) comfortable as before, and squat while braking/accelerating is less. Body roll is still there (reduced a little bit though) so sway bars are next on the list.

I'll try to get a pic soon. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jotun, Thanks again for your impressions of these springs. I think they are the set for me. Like you, sways are next to complete the suspension mods. Please post pix when you can.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Jotun, Thanks again for your impressions of these springs. I think they are the set for me. Like you, sways are next to complete the suspension mods. Please post pix when you can.
I'll try to get pics later today.

If you are on NASIOC, contact a vendor called Mann-Engineering. They're giving a good deal right now on Swifts.

Also you would be surprised how much a difference just an inch drop will make. I was in the same boat as you, since the roads around where I live generally are crap, I didn't want to go any lower. One inch is pretty much perfect, IMO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oops, so I didn't get around to taking any pics over the weekend :-[ lol.

Here's a quick comparo of before and after. The angles are different so it's not as easy to tell the drop in the front, but I assure you it's there. It's easy to see the back, though.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can second that. I have had Swift springs on for about 3 weeks. The drop was near perfect visually and functionally. The handling is substantially improved and the ride, while noticeably firmer, is generally no worse than stock - under some conditions it is better and smoother, under others slightly more bumpy and harsh. Overall a fantastic product.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Those wheels are Sport Edition F7s (in 16 * 7). I got them from Tire Rack for $95 each, and the RE-01Rs (205/55/16) are mounted on them. I know I am going totally against the trend to larger, wider wheels and tires. Where I live in rural Maine the roads are rough with lots of small potholes due to the severe winters. I have found from previous experience that smaller, lighter wheels (these weigh 18 pounds) with a taller tire sidewall help much with ride comfort, while not giving up much in handling (although there is some loss in steering response). It also let's me have a few sets of tires and wheels at reasonable cost (about $800 for each tire/wheel set in those sizes) that I can mount myself, including going to snow's, essential here. The light wheels help in acceleration as does the tire size which is 3/10 of an inch shorter in diameter than stock (improved final gear ratio). The negative is with TPMS only on my winter set I have to see the TPMS warning light all summer long.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The wheels just sort of stood out, but only because they were obviously aftermarket, yet not flashy at all, which is what I like. I'm still not sure what I am going to do exactly for my winter wheel setup, or if I am going to get snows at all. I'm going to replace my re92's with some re960as pole positions, I may just get those and see how they do this winter. Stupid tires.

·
Registered
217 Posts
the rear looks pretty saggy... any other pics? i am still thinking if i should get the swift springs or go with tein SS coilover...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can try to get better pics... the angle is a little weird and I think the hard shadows from the afternoon sun are making the rear look a little lower than it is.

But yeah, the rear sags a little bit. Just because of the design of the fenders, and the drop is an inch both front and back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
ya i have STi pink rite now... but i think the front is now low enough... haha so i might upgrade it to coilover or switch to swift springs... if you can get better pics that would be great! btw which part of Canada r u in? I am in toronto

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love my swift springs! they are aggressive yet comfortable when u want them to be. I actually have the prototypes on my car woo hoo! I'm gonna see the guy that made them this weekend he lives in san jose so if anybody has any questions or anything like that lemme know and ill ask him. but I like em a lot and I forget but I think mr.primus has cobbs and I'm gonna see him on sunday at the i-club meet in san jose. so hopefully we will be able to compare and see if there's any difference in the drop or what not. so stay tuned.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ya i have STi pink rite now... but i think the front is now low enough... haha so i might upgrade it to coilover or switch to swift springs... if you can get better pics that would be great! btw which part of Canada r u in? I am in toronto
Cool man, I am in Calgary.. but yeah I don't know if the drop will be worth it going from STi pink's to swifts... the pinks drop it 10-15mm right? Swifts are 1 inch which is 25mm so you're only going to get another 10mm which isn't a lot.

If you want to drop it more and not sacrifice performance I think coilovers are the way to go.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Another pic of the car. This time I think it is easier to see the drop. The hard shadows from the sun make the wheel wells look different than they are. Still, this pic shows the front and back drop to be more even, which is how it really is. The rear still is a little lower, but not as bad as the first pic makes it look.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
OH man! that's a nice drop Jotun!! thanks for the pic!! now u really make me think which suspension setup i want... i heard that coils are very harsh for DD... and i am using the car as my DD...

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
OH man! that's a nice drop Jotun!! thanks for the pic!! now u really make me think which suspension setup i want... i heard that coils are very harsh for DD... and i am using the car as my DD...
Depends on the settings of the coils. If you get track then yeah, harsh is right. Street isn't all that bad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
ya i am thinking about Tein Super Street or Megan Racing...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts