Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
it sounds cool!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Note that this is a vent to atmosphere valve, vs the stock recirculating bypass valve. Lots of info on that choice, just make sure you research the options before you make your choice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Note that this is a vent to atmosphere valve, vs the stock recirculating bypass valve. Lots of info on that choice, just make sure you research the options before you make your choice.
Yes! Thanks for the headsup advice about BOVs. After reading every available article about VTA vs. 50/50 hybrid recirc vs. full-recirculation, I'm still on the fence whether I want to upgrade the stock BPV or not. I'll be honest though that the motivation to even look at BOVs is mostly the sound factor and not the performance gains. If only SPT made the intakes for our cars, I'd quit pining after the psssh sound effects :)

Sent from my iPwn using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Just glanced back through your posts and it seems like this would be your first "power" mod (thought there will be zero gain in going with an aftermarket valve). If that's the case, I'd definitely stick to the stock valve and just wait until you want to and can afford an ecu reflash (accessport or opensource) and do an intake and tune. You'll get some bypass valve sound without any of the potential ill affects of a vta valve.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
If only SPT made the intakes for our cars, I'd quit pining after the psssh sound effects :)

The K & N typhoon intake is a short ram inlet like the spt and will give you the sound you are looking for

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
^^ You will be able to hear the bpv with an intake, but DO NOT run one without a tune. The factory WRX tune is on the boarder of being dangerously lean as is, and adding an intake without tuning for it will make it even worse.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Go with an aftermarket intake like the K&N Typhoon, and an OTS tune and you'll not only get the sound you're looking for, but also get a significant power bump as well!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If a tune is definitely required (and I'm planning for one again), why does Perrin and Cobb state their intakes are made for stock tune and should not be installed with a mod tune? That had me confused…

Currently, all I have on the car is an SPT cbe and a drop-in AVO panel filter. I had previously installed an Invidia catted dp and a Cobb AP with Stage 1 maps but removed them (I was planning on trading the rex for an STi sedan but changed minds last minute) so ECU is back to factory stock.

Anyway, this summer my plans for some carefully selected mods are in place. I've been eyeing AVO's tmi for a while now :)

Thanks for all the good advice folks, please keep it coming.

Sent from my iPwn using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ive got everything perrin excepts my bov. They gave me a map that supported the cai and matched up with my exhaust. Been running stage 2 with Cai support for almost a year

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had previously installed an Invidia catted dp and a Cobb AP with Stage 1 maps but removed them (I was planning on trading the rex for an STi sedan but changed minds last minute) so ECU is back to factory stock.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU had a DP with only a stage 1 tune? Where's the dp at now? ill take it off ur hands!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU had a DP with only a stage 1 tune? Where's the dp at now? ill take it off ur hands!
I still have it, it's going back on the car sometime soon, but with a proper tune and some additional components I want in place so I only do the protune in one fell swoop.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Well, I am going against everything I believe in and am getting the synapse BOV. I am trying to get rid of surge after the Dom3/FMIC install and I just can't get rid of it. The synapse valve is a little different then most because it requires boost source as well as manifold pressure. So it has 2 lines to hook up instead of just one.

This valve is designed to be recirculated or used as VTA. Kind of reminds me of how the perrin is set up. I hope to be able to recirculate it but I may have to VTA to get rid of the surge. I got the anti stall kit for it, to be used VTA. When I get this in I will probably make a video of the noises.

My car already sounds different from everyone else's because nobody puts a 30R on their car with the stock exhaust. Lots of induction noises. No exhaust note. LOL

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Just got the synapse in about an hour ago and installed it. First off the BPV no longer has a boost port. It hooks up like a normal BPV except that has 2 ports on the back. By using different combinations of these 2 ports you get different different responses from the BPV. I chose the slowest response method of hooking to both ports, this worked best for me and the FMIC, I think a TMIC might work with a quicker response setup because it has less air to blow off.
The good news is I was able to recirc it without getting surge. A task that the stock BPV was not able to do without VTA.
It also appears to be holding more boost with the same wgdc. It is not leaking like the stock piece. I am finally going to be able to really tune my DOM3!

The sound is incredible coming through the Intake. It releases much quicker than any BPV I have seen and gives it a unique sound. Not a slow whoosh like others that use large ports in order to discharge the pressure. I'll get a video in the coming days.
Preliminarily report is best BPV period, no compromises here. I am impressed enough to consider distributing this product.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
It's big, for sure. Maybe I'll try for better pics.
Here is an install vid on the stock car, once again you do not have to tap in to boost source any more.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ah sweet post Eric, i've been meaning to order up one of these. So to clarify, there are 3 ports in the back of the valve, how do you have them routed? Or are you saying that they have a revised valve, now featuring only 2 ports?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts