Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Houston, we have reached un-equality.

Today the fine people at my local Midas were finally able to install my Swaintech Coated Borla UELs and my Stromung HFC.

Jesus-fucking-christ

Due to extenuating circumstances (don't ask) I wont be able to put up a video for a little while. I can however attempt to describe what its like. First of all, my engine now exists. Previously all I had was a hi-flow filter and a lightweight crank pulley. Now not only can hear my engine, but i can also feel it through my steering wheel as well ;D Power is definitely improved, seemingly throughout. Still not exactly a wrx but heck I bet im happier right now than most wrx owners :p The sound is crazy. The engine now makes a rumble, and, as expected, the exhaust whoosh is much more present, although it seemed to get better as the gasket glue dried up. Also, it was pretty faint due to the coating but there was definitely a bit of a "tick". Its normal and unavoidable, but easily quietable. From behind the car, ive only heard it idle, and from more than 4 feet it takes a trained ear to tell the difference. However, if i were to romp on it, or if you were to move your head to about 2 feet away, the noise becomes a godly rumble that i was so craving.

I think im the first person to do this, but it can be done! There was no CEL either. comment or pm if you have questions about the process but pics and instructions can all be found here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445402&highlight=UEL
and here: http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=2631.0

Ill post a video when i can and soon i should get a cat-back to really unleash the beast. i should be noticing an increase in mpg soon as well due to the HFC.

·
Registered
954 Posts
are you running the facotry cat back still?

·
Registered
954 Posts
ever think about a wrx cat back? they are cheap, come with bigger piping, and make a tick more noise than the 2.5i cat back

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wonder if the Stromung mid-pipe bolts up. If it does then all Stromung needs to do is make an axle-back. Also what was the damage on this?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha i know i owe you guys a vid. Just sort of on hold. Going to resume mods with a new fury around november 15th, so look forward to*:
Megan Racing cat-back (if no stromung)
Perrin F/R sways/endlinks yadda yadda
Front Strut bar
Steering rack bushings
New H/U, 750 watt amp, and 12" Kicker L7 sub

*these are all just guesses at this point still finalizing some research

anyway ill be sure to post up a vid before the catback so as to tell the difference.
sorry!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hey just out of curiosity, Would it be possible to run just the Borla UEL headers and stock Cat or is the Stromung cat necessary?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hey just out of curiosity, Would it be possible to run just the Borla UEL headers and stock Cat or is the Stromung cat necessary?
You can run the borla UEL headers with a stock cat but the piping will have to be re-bent (or add piping to make it fit)

it's not an OEM replacement header for the 2008, some fabbing is required.

It was an OEM replacement for the 99-01 and probably the 02-05 as well...but the OEM header design from subaru was different back then

1 - 12 of 12 Posts